question about SBE 2

1nsomniac

Hi all,

I just bought a new (well display model) super black eagle 2 after months of comparing and trying different semi-autos. I cant wait to take it to the range but since its been raining straight for the past 2 days I'm stuck in the basement taking it apart and putting back together =).

Anyway, this is my first semi auto and I have a question about the bolt release (or special carrier control button- as the manual calls it) and the cartridge drop lever. When I open the bolt and the drop lever is down (red dot visible) the bolt release will not close the bolt (I have to push the bolt a bit to get it to slide shut). If the drop lever is up ( no red visible) and i pull the bolt open then the release button works.

Is this normal? I thought that the bolt release should work whether the drop lever is engaged or not. I'm probably just paranoid because this firearm was a floor model but I appreciate any insight from the forum members.

Thanks..

When I open the bolt and the drop lever is down (red dot visible) the bolt release will not close the bolt (I have to push the bolt a bit to get it to slide shut).

Are you pushing the bolt forward because the lugs are not fully engaging? Do you happen to be riding the bolt forward with your hand? Always (unless checking for obstructions) allow the recoil spring to do its job by releasing the bolt handle after pulling it rearwards.

When I open the bolt and the drop lever is down (red dot visible) the bolt release will not close the bolt (I have to push the bolt a bit to get it to slide shut).

Thanks..

That's not normal at all.

With the drop lever down (red dot visible) the bolt is not supposed to stay back. It should close as soon as you let go of it.

Are you pushing the bolt forward because the lugs are not fully engaging when closed? Are you riding the bolt forward with your hand? Always (unless checking for obstructions) allow the recoil spring to do its job by releasing the bolt handle after pulling it rearwards.

Thanks for the quick replies.

To clarify my previous post - the bold IS staying open when I pull it back with the drop lever visible. If I give it a slight push, or carefully push the loading gate down (thing that feeds the shell into the chamber) it will close and and fully engage - the bolt slides freely after a certain point.

I wonder if a good cleaning and re-lube will fix this - I really dont want to take it back...

One vote for the "break in" believers. Ran 50-75 heavy loads as suggested and bolt was barely sticking. Shot 6 rounds of skeet and a couple 5 stand since and its cycling perfectly. Great shotgun.

Tucker- thanks for the pdf link, I wish the benelli manual had pictures/details like that.

1n

With the cartridge drop lever down the bolt cannot be locked back, rendering the bolt release unusable.

What is happening with your gun is the bolt is being held back by the shell carrier as it comes up when the bolt carrier moves forward. Probably because you are riding the bolt forward, the bolt carrier needs full forward momentum to operate properly.

To lock the bolt back with the hammer cocked and cartridge drop lever exposed you must push the cartridge drop lever in then you can pull the bolt carrier to the rear and it will lock, you can then use the bolt release.