Optics vs laser

mjherring

The only downside to the laser is that it is also visible to your target. When it is dark, and I have my nightvision, I would not want to give my position away with a laser. Even without nightvision, I personally would stick with the optics.

Lasers with disorienting lights are great when you are going on the offensive into a room, but from a defensive position, I would go with optics.

In the end, you have to decide what you would feel most comfortable with, and what would work best for you.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to use optics and/or single projectiles your better off with a carbine.

A shotgun works best with an instinctive style of shooting with both eyes open. A shotgun's strength is the ability to hit a moving target out to 50-60 yards.It cracks me up when I see people try and turn a shotgun into an CQB style carbine with all the M4 Carbine style crap hanging off of it. All you've done is made a shotgun into a poor carbine choice and killed the ability to engage a moving target with lightening speed. I have shot shotguns all my life. A shotgun is a completely different animal than a Carbine, rifle, or a SMG (although a SMG is the closest thing to shotgun IMO). I have everything from SMG to carbines and rifles, but nothing is faster and can put more lead on a target out to 50-60 yards than my M4 Benelli with a standard stock. I love a pistol grip on a carbine or rifle, or a subgun. It's just not as fast on a shotgun, or as easy to hit a moving target. If anybody doubts what I say, go to a skeet, trap, or better yet, a sporting clays range, with your pistol grip stock and your optic and try to hit some clays with it. If you can hit a moving clay with your optic better than without, or with your pistol grip over a standard stock, I'll eat my words. I figure if I can hit a clay moving 25-40 mph, or even faster, I can sure as **** bust somebody in the head who popping up, or running. I'm also pretty good with a SMG, but only after 1000's and 1000's of rounds. The shotguns only real limitation are slow reloads, capacity,lack of real penetration, range and OAL. Still, for the avg. person a shotgun still rules with a good buckshot load and the ability to select the choke that's right for the distance your going to be engaging targets. Shotguns didn't catch on in the past with the military because the shotgun shells were made of waxed paper and swelled in combat cond. They also used to use a full brass shell to prevent swelling, but the end of the shell where the shot came out was covered in a wad with a wax seal and wasn't the most reliable thing going. Still in close combat in WWI the Germans feared the "Trench Broom" more than anything else because it was so damn devastating at close quarters. Now, we have shells that are waterproof and don't swell up and get stuck in the chamber with their base ripped off. You also now have semi auto shotguns that are as reliable as a carbine or a rifle. The only exeption to putting optics and a pistol grip on a shotgun is on a Turkey only, or a dedicated slug gun in the states where this is the only legal way to hunt deer.

A shotgun works best with an instinctive style of shooting with both eyes open.

Aimpoints and Eotechs are meant to be used with both eyes open.

The shotguns only real limitation are slow reloads, capacity,lack of real penetration, range and OAL.

I see your comments regarding the semiautos addressing the slow reloads, but in regard to OAL, just like an smg, or a Colt Commando, a shotgun can easily accomodate a shorter barrel.

Aimpoints and Eotechs are meant to be used with both eyes open.

I see your comments regarding the semiautos addressing the slow reloads, but in regard to OAL, just like an smg, or a Colt Commando, a shotgun can easily accomodate a shorter barrel.

It can but will suffer as far as capacity with a shorter barrel,

Yeah, both eyes are open while shooting with an optic as opposed to just using the Ghost rings with both eyes open as well. If its close and they are poppin up out of thick urban areas/jungle types. You don't need that crap on your shottie. MOst people will be way faster using their M4 Benelli shooting instinctive style. Then you have the ghost rings on there for you static shots.

It can but will suffer as far as capacity with a shorter barrel

My 14" M4 holds 5+1 and one more if on the carrier. I hope you never have that many intruders enter your home.:eek:

Yeah, both eyes are open while shooting with an optic as opposed to just using the Ghost rings with both eyes open as well. If its close and they are poppin up out of thick urban areas/jungle types. You don't need that crap on your shottie. MOst people will be way faster using their M4 Benelli shooting instinctive style. Then you have the ghost rings on there for you static shots.

I hear you on the weight issue, but for me personally, the point of having the optic is so that the gun can be used in conjunction with a NV attachment (that mounts in front of the optic). Down the road I would like to switch to an IR attachment, but they are a bit steep in price (I am not talking about IR illuminators).

In the end you have to decide what you like best, and like I said in my first post, when considering NV attachments I have to go with the Aimpoint.