Nova Pump and chokes

Decidion

I am relatively new to shotguns, previously being a rifle type, so please bear with my newbie questions here...

I am interested in a Nova Pump Tactical, however I noticed it comes with a fixed choke. Does this mean I cannot swap it out at all?

I intend to use it primarily for defense in the home and out in the wild, however, I would like the option of going out and doing some trap, skeet or sporting clays.

Am I looking at the right shotgun? My budget is a bit limited, so the only models I can consider are the Nova and SuperNova.

Thanks for any advice!

looks to me to come with a IC Choke ? which model number you looking at?

Model # 20050 & 51 both have IC, you can use other chokes in this shotgun, they only ship with one choke!

Dig around here and you can start to understand chokes a little, i think they make the benelli choke!

http://www.trulockchokes.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi

plus their is some good info if you know nothing about chokes!

also all Novas can be fitted with different chokes from what i read, some of them only ship with one choke! but you can install different constriction after ya buy them! My own opinion is a Tac Shotgun does not make an all around great shotgun for all shooting scenarios! Unless your shooting bad guys!

I recently bought the Super Nova tactical and could not be happier. My friends all swore by the remington 870 and mossberg for tactical use but the moment they fired the SuperNova they were convinced the nova is the way to go.

My tactical does not have a interchangeable choke. I am fairly new to shotguns but i have been told it is full open.

There is one downside to the Novas. The cost of the replacements barrels. See my post "Nova barrels way $$$"

You can effectively knock down clays on trap and skeet but you cant hesitate to long. I havent tried handicapped yet.

Forgot to add:

If you decide to take the tactical to the trap range, you will have the occasional miss even though your sighted on target. This is due to the short 18.5 in barrel and shot pattern of the open choke. This can get frustrating but after all it is a tactical shotgun.

The Nova Tactical does not come with interchangeable choke tubes, so you have to change barrels in order to change the choke. However, you can have a gunsmith thread the original barrel to accept choke tubes. Most seem to charge about $75 plus the cost of the choke tubes for this work.

If you are looking for an all around shotgun, the Tactical may not be your best choice. The rifle-type sights are not great for wing shooting, trap or skeet, and even if you change the barrel, you still have the rear sight mounted on the receiver. Of course, you can remove the rear sight, but all that is a general pain just to go shoot skeet or trap.

So which Model # Nova's or Super Novas did not come with Internal Chokes? Everything i see says Internal chokes with IC or CYL included and the Choke charts say they also come with Internal Chokes, Standard and Extended Standard tubes?

Yall talking about the slug barrel? I thought it came with CYL choke?

I have a SN tactical item number 20150 (pistol grip and rifle sights). Benelli website says all tactical models has a cylinder choke. Either way it is not interchangeable.

BTW decidion, i took my SN tactical trap shooting on sunday. I out shot my buddies 2 of the 3 rounds. They were shooting O/Us and a one had a 20 gauge with a 30 inch barrel.

Like i said it is not the ideal set up but it works for a beginner like myself. Atleast, until i can persuade my wife that i need to by a trap/skeet gun and leave the SN for HD.

I would recommend that rifle sights versus the ghost ring. Unless you are planning to shoot slugs from far distances. Personally I feel the rear apperature just takes to long to acquire a sight picture after you shoulder. Plus for me i am not going to be using a shotgun to engage any HD reasons past 25 yards. If i need long distance i am grabbing my AR15 and ACOG.

If you are looking for an all around shotgun, the Tactical may not be your best choice. The rifle-type sights are not great for wing shooting, trap or skeet, and even if you change the barrel, you still have the rear sight mounted on the receiver. Of course, you can remove the rear sight, but all that is a general pain just to go shoot skeet or trap.

The part about the rifle sights are not true. The all sighting apperatures are mounted on my barrel assembly. When i remove the barrel both front and rear sights come off with it. What you are saying is true if you are talking about the GHOST ring sights. The rear apperature screws into the receiver

Thanks for the info guys.

I am purchasing a SuperNova Tactical with the comfortech stock and ghost ring sites this weekend. I've done some searching in the area and it's the only model I could find from a local gunshop without having to wait 60-90 days (plus its $35 cheaper than anywhere else) for a backorder.

Since it is primarily for home/backwoods defense, I'm not too concerned about the sights and I just may end up taking the gun to a smith to have it drilled for a choke. Not sure yet.

If I really start to get into trap/skeet or hunting, I will probably just end up buying a second gun anyway.

Hey i saw a SN at Gander in Denver with out a choke & was surprised! was not a slugger either! why this site does not show them is par for course i guess, they like to keep ya confused, not too hard when it comes to shotgun inventory and their marketing/manual issues!