Let's hope the time never comes . . .

bigairt

but if it does, I would like to rely on the M4 I just bought as a one of my survivial tools. The two main questions I have surround 1) gun setup and 2) ammo. I welcome all opinions and suggestions.

I'm looking forward to spending the time on the range answering my own questions but am hoping you guys can provide suggestions in the mean time. This is my first shotgun and I've only hunted with friends a couple times (they had all the gear).

1) Setup

lights, mounts, lasers, etc. I've spent a lot of time reading the board already but I was hoping everyone would weigh in with their favorite.

2) ammo

There are so many different options for ammo. What are some of the pros and cons of 3" or 2-3/4", 00 buck or 000 buck, what type of slugs, etc. Also, what other ammo should I consider to use for hunting small game (as a last resort) with the M4. Is one manufacturer a clear winner?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with a newbie.

full power federal power flite 000, 2-2/4................................

Like the man said, Federal 00, or 000 with the flight control wad (FC wad acts as a choke, so you can use a CYL. choke and still shoot really tight patterns).

I like a regular stock on a shotgun and no optics except the ghost rings. I can shoot for speed and just look at the target and ignore the sights, or I can use the sights with both eyes open to shoot far away, or stationary targets- best of both worlds. You've picked the right gun for urban, or wooded survival/combat. I also hunt non migratory game with my M4's as well. You could even make a plug, or buy one from Benelli to use it for migratory birds if you just had to. The pistol grip does work well for turkey or deer hunting while hunting from a stationary/sitting position. A Burris Fastfire sight would be good for this application as well. Once you try a Fastfire, or a Dr. Optic, you won't jack around with any other red dot sights. They are inexpensive, rugged, small and super lightweight. I've been using them on SMG for awhile and they hold up. The Burris has a 4moa dot. The Docters are either a 3.5, or 7moa dot. I use the 7moa dot on a subgun, but it's too big for anything but quick combat style shooting. The 4moa would be better for shooting a turkey in the head.

Like the man said, Federal 00, or 000 with the flight control wad (FC wad acts as a choke, so you can use a CYL. choke and still shoot really tight patterns).

I like a regular stock on a shotgun and no optics except the ghost rings. I can shoot for speed and just look at the target and ignore the sights, or I can use the sights with both eyes open to shoot far away, or stationary targets- best of both worlds. You've picked the right gun for urban, or wooded survival/combat. I also hunt non migratory game with my M4's as well. You could even make a plug, or buy one from Benelli to use it for migratory birds if you just had to. The pistol grip does work well for turkey or deer hunting while hunting from a stationary/sitting position. A Burris Fastfire sight would be good for this application as well. Once you try a Fastfire, or a Dr. Optic, you won't jack around with any other red dot sights. They are inexpensive, rugged, small and super lightweight. I've been using them on SMG for awhile and they hold up. The Burris has a 4moa dot. The Docters are either a 3.5, or 7moa dot. I use the 7moa dot on a subgun, but it's too big for anything but quick combat style shooting. The 4moa would be better for shooting a turkey in the head.

Thank you for the info!

in all honesty, everything depends on what your hunting, and what kind of terain. i dont really know as it matters what manufacter you use, and some will disagree im sure, but federal,winchester, and remington are pretty close to the same when you are talking about magnum 2 3/4 & 3 inch loads. they all pack a **** of a whallop... on both ends.

i seem to have over looked the key word"survival". its just my preferance but i would rely on my bushmaster 7.62x54mm. it has an accurate range of 0 to600 yrd's. i also have an Armalite 50cal, its accurate to about a mile on a calm day. i call it AT&T, its the next best thing to being there. it also cost me about $20.00 everytime i pull the trigger. but you really need to experment, and decide what works the best for you. its all about what you are comfortable with. when your talking about fighting for your life there really is no right or wrong . its whatever gets the job done. for an example a 22rifle can be just as deadly as my 50 cal and doesnt make near as much noise and you can pack a **** of a lot more ammo for it. my home defense gun is a mossberg 500 12ga/ remington 3'' mag 00 buck. i hope this helps and good luck

i seem to have over looked the key word"survival". its just my preferance but i would rely on my bushmaster 7.62x54mm. it has an accurate range of 0 to600 yrd's. i also have an Armalite 50cal, its accurate to about a mile on a calm day. i call it AT&T, its the next best thing to being there. it also cost me about $20.00 everytime i pull the trigger. but you really need to experment, and decide what works the best for you. its all about what you are comfortable with. when your talking about fighting for your life there really is no right or wrong . its whatever gets the job done. for an example a 22rifle can be just as deadly as my 50 cal and doesnt make near as much noise and you can pack a **** of a lot more ammo for it. my home defense gun is a mossberg 500 12ga/ remington 3'' mag 00 buck. i hope this helps and good luck

Sounds great. I'm waiting on a LWRC .223 I've also ordered for intermediate range needs. However, the ammo for that weapon is a little more straight forward than all the options for a shotgun. I just read on another post that pellet size is of critical importance. So why not 000 buck instead of 00 buck? I'm 6'2 and 230 so I'm not as concerned about recoil in a life and death situation.

you will find that recoil has a lot to with accuracy in quik repetion. of course thats not as big a factor with a shotgun as a rifle. but can make the differance in a wounded enemy or a dead one. and remember a wounded enemy can shoot back. as far as shot size the bigger shot has deeper penatration. smaller usually has more pellets. you dont always want hardcore penatration for home defense,for the reasons of you dont want the projectile to pass through the intruder and interior walls of your house and possibly kill a member of your family or someone next door. my wifes 357 is loaded with whats called saftey bullets. when they hit a target they fragment and do not pass thru the target. we shot a ft worth phone book with on and it went about half way thru it. when we opened it, we only found slivers of the bullet. the differance between 000 and 00 is really not enough to note. if you have to shoot someone with 00, and doesnt take themm off their feet.....RUN!!

you will find that recoil has a lot to with accuracy in quik repetion. of course thats not as big a factor with a shotgun as a rifle. but can make the differance in a wounded enemy or a dead one. and remember a wounded enemy can shoot back. as far as shot size the bigger shot has deeper penatration. smaller usually has more pellets. you dont always want hardcore penatration for home defense,for the reasons of you dont want the projectile to pass through the intruder and interior walls of your house and possibly kill a member of your family or someone next door. my wifes 357 is loaded with whats called saftey bullets. when they hit a target they fragment and do not pass thru the target. we shot a ft worth phone book with on and it went about half way thru it. when we opened it, we only found slivers of the bullet. the differance between 000 and 00 is really not enough to note. if you have to shoot someone with 00, and doesnt take themm off their feet.....RUN!!

I laughed out loud with the instructions to "RUN." I'm picturing Danny Devito running down the mountain towards the end of Romancing the Stone and shooting backwards over his shoulder without looking.