Israeli Sayaret M4 SBS

johnnywitt

I could not find it. but here is a picture of mine.

m11707SBSTHEORY.jpg

Well d, next question, who do I get to do the job that won't screw it up (I'm thinking Briley)??? Are you able to get 4 2 3/4" shells in the mag plus the carrier load? How is the muzzle blast? Would you do it again or would you stick with the 14" configuration so as to be able to go immediately back to the std. M4 with 18" bbl.

I'm thinking of finding a used 11707 and doing the Form 1 in the 12" or just buying the factory entry model in 14" so I don't have to mark the bbl. or receiver. If I do your Israeli 12" config., I think I'll just mark the barrel. I imagine that that gun is pretty handy around a vehicle.

I purchesed a barrel from e-gunparts, and an extra spring. Following BATFE guideline, I registered the serial number of the receiver and marked the barrel with name and location of maker (me.) This negates the need to mark the receiver and also alows you to use the factory full tube (with 18" barrel and nine round capacity) without violating 922whtever (this is not a post about the legality of the "sporting arms law" so there is no need to discuss it here.) cutting the barrel can be done with a pipe cuter, hack saw or by a shop. e-gunparts also sells an aftermarket mag tube. This can be cut to length in the garage, but benelli uses a square threading that can not be reproduced in the average home shop (it is not threaded with a die but on a lathe with a jig and a multi-facted thread cutter.) After trimming the mag spring (trial and error, little at a time) I can load four 2.75 shells in the tube, one in the pipe and one on the carrier.

The blast is what you might expect but the kick is not bag (2.75 D.N. Rottwiels slugs one handed no prob)

My next project is to thread the exteriour end of the barrel (the wall thickness at 10.5" precludes internal threading....maybe check w/ briley) and attach a muzzel break/stand off device (like tromax or royal) with a stepped ring (or mag tube collar) that would index with the mag tube and be of length to allow the standard 14" mag tube to be used and retain the barrel in the receiver. This would transform the benelli m4 into a very compact sbs w/6 rnd cap. A sbs/ door breacher w/ 7rnd cap, and a combat scatter gun with 9rnd cap.

After that I will try to figure out how to attach it underneath my S.E. Crazyhorse. Then when I am board with that, maybe I will paint it or manufacture a sonic distance-responsive atomatic adjusting choke or something. I dunno, I also have to mow the lawn.

here is an attempt to replicate a factory looking VFG incorperating a pressure switch.

close.jpg

fullfardone.jpg

It needs some trim and finish, but I am pleased.

I purchesed a barrel from e-gunparts, and an extra spring. Following BATFE guideline, I registered the serial number of the receiver and marked the barrel with name and location of maker (me.) This negates the need to mark the receiver and also alows you to use the factory full tube (with 18" barrel and nine round capacity) without violating 922whtever (this is not a post about the legality of the "sporting arms law" so there is no need to discuss it here.) cutting the barrel can be done with a pipe cuter, hack saw or by a shop. e-gunparts also sells an aftermarket mag tube. This can be cut to length in the garage, but benelli uses a square threading that can not be reproduced in the average home shop (it is not threaded with a die but on a lathe with a jig and a multi-facted thread cutter.) After trimming the mag spring (trial and error, little at a time) I can load four 2.75 shells in the tube, one in the pipe and one on the carrier.

The blast is what you might expect but the kick is not bag (2.75 D.N. Rottwiels slugs one handed no prob)

My next project is to thread the exteriour end of the barrel (the wall thickness at 10.5" precludes internal threading....maybe check w/ briley) and attach a muzzel break/stand off device (like tromax or royal) with a stepped ring (or mag tube collar) that would index with the mag tube and be of length to allow the standard 14" mag tube to be used and retain the barrel in the receiver. This would transform the benelli m4 into a very compact sbs w/6 rnd cap. A sbs/ door breacher w/ 7rnd cap, and a combat scatter gun with 9rnd cap.

After that I will try to figure out how to attach it underneath my S.E. Crazyhorse. Then when I am board with that, maybe I will paint it or manufacture a sonic distance-responsive atomatic adjusting choke or something. I dunno, I also have to mow the lawn.

here is an attempt to replicate a factory looking VFG incorperating a pressure switch.

close.jpg

It needs some trim and finish, but I am pleased.

AWESOME!!!:cool:

d, you Sir, are the Man!

Ok d, so when I get ready to do this. I'm gonna need some advice. I'm wondering if I will absolutely have to cut the recoil spring down (I'm thinking, stiffer spring= more positive feeding). I know the shells would probably be a hard to load though. Also, I need to know exactly how long to make the magazine tube including threads to make sure I get the full 4 rd.(2.75" ammo) capacity. Also exactly how long to make the barrel and any other tips that you would have done different were you to do this project again.

I think I'll have Briley do the work so I can have the barrel choked either with screw in (maybe a breacher choke tube, or fixed IC). I like a little choke in my shotguns although you don't really need it with the new Fed. Flight Control Wad ammo. Who knows how long that that ammo might be available though (I'm not talking about Obama, just that ammo comes and goes).

One other thing, do you see any issues with not having the barrel collar ring on the barrel. Even SBS or AOW have the barrel ring and I'm wondering if this puts undue stress on your weapon.

johnnywitt,

you do not have to cut the recoil spring (located in the tube extending rearward of the reciver, suporting the stock), only the mag tube spring. This is needed or the mag spring will set upon itself (rigid) before you can load four shells. Springs are cheep, it is not something to concern yourself with. The collar ring is not needed (IMO) on the shorter barrels. The bolt locks into the barrel extensionion and provides safe function. On longer barrels, the collar provides stabilty betwen the mag tube and pipe. On a 10.5 inch barrel the handgaurd retaining ring serves the same purpose. I did put a nitrol (sp?) O ring in the gap between the magtube and handgaurd ring (this gap was left by benelli to allow the +2 extension or fake mag extension to remain on the mag tube when the barrel is removed.) When you get to production send me a message and I will provide you with mesured drawings (ha ha kidding) but I can give you the lengths and mesurments that worked for me.

regards,

d

• 2 weeks later...

While I am not new to NFA firearms, I am new to the Benelli m4.

Two quick questions:

1. With a factory Benelli M4 SBS, how difficult is it to change the barrels? For instance, if one were to purchase a spare barrel for e-gunparts, can one easily/quickly change it from the 14" to 12"?

2. Who is Briley? Any contact info?

Thanks guys!

Very quick to change the barrel. Two minutes, no tools (max time with a full mag.) Briley (sp?) is a gun shop that pionered (I think) the thin walled choke tube, they also do excellent work with anything regarding barrels. I think it is difficult to purchase a factory SBS. To my knowledge, the people who own them have extenuating circumstances i.e. LEO or Mil.

Regards, d

Woohoo, I just picked up a factory Benelli M4 SBS (Model 11274) for $1550! I almost fell over at the price. It is brand new in the box and the guy seemed surprise that I didn't haggle with him over price! The manufacturer of the SBS is listed as Benelli, so I am golden (plus it has the Benelli model number for the factory SBS). I am psyched...maybe now with the extra money, I will buy an extra barrel and cut it to 12".

Woohoo, I just picked up a factory Benelli M4 SBS (Model 11274) for $1550! I almost fell over at the price. It is brand new in the box and the guy seemed surprise that I didn't haggle with him over price! The manufacturer of the SBS is listed as Benelli, so I am golden (plus it has the Benelli model number for the factory SBS). I am psyched...maybe now with the extra money, I will buy an extra barrel and cut it to 12".

I'd like to see a picture

• 1 year later...
and the date has absolutely what to do with what?? i just want to see the whistleblower explain himself!!:D

Meaning the OP could of also posted it on auto weapons a year and a half ago? your talking a long time someone could of took it off here and posted it there?

I realy dont care I just like looking at the picture.