M4 sight troubles?

swdoc

Just got my M4. It came with the standard modified choke, patterns very well w/ OO buckshot. When shooting 1 oz slugs, it shoots 5 inches high even with the rear sight completely bottomed out. (at 25 yards) A buddy got his the same day, mod choke, same slugs hit dead center with rear sight adjusted about 1/2 way down. I broke the shotgun down and reassembled, no change. Customer service was very helpful, but before I send it back in, I wondered if this is a problem seen before and if there are any other things to try here first. Also, what is the optimum choke for this shotgun if best balanced performance is desired with OO buck and slugs, interchangably?

Thanks for any advice,

Steve

A shotgun with slugs is essentially a musket except for the limited stability of the so called rifling on the slug. Try some different chokes. Usually a mod. is a good start for slugs. Try a Federal TruBall slug, they are in a league of their own. Try different brands of slugs and different weights and with different chokes.

Second question is... why do you want to shoot slugs and turn your shotgun into a crappy rifle. Buy a FAL, or an M1A, or even a poodle shooter. They will fire a single pojectile much better and with a whole lot more penetration and accuracy.

People use slugs when they can't have a rifle, or carbine, or all they have is a shotgun. If you need to shoot something beyond about 75yds, you need a rifle/carbine. 75yrds or less and you can pop it with buckshot if you have the right choke/load (none of that low recoil stuff). You need a 2.75" mag with an IM choke and a buffered load with plated shot. A 3" mag has a lower velocity because it has the same amount of powder, but a bigger payload. My .02.

Thanks, Johnny. 00 buck will be the primary load. Slugs will be to feed as needed. Mostly for use between 30 and 75 yards. I agree that it is a poor substitute for a rifle, if you need a rifle. Short range it will work fine, and the slugs are for if the engagement stretches a little past optimal buckshot range and transition to a rifle is not possible.

Changing chokes and ammo are certainly in the program. The gun came w/ a modified (don't ask me why), and I'm nervous about not being able to get on target w/ the sight completely bottomed out. Changing ammo or choke could make it worse, as well as better, and I have nowhere to go in depressing the rear sight further. Mod choke, same ammo in new M4 of friends centered w/ plenty of adjustment left.

Trying to figure out if I have made a mistake that I can correct, or if it needs to go back to Benelli for a look.

I understand your point on slugs. I have a different niche for this shotgun to fill than I fill w/ my RRA.

Any other ideas?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm thinking that your choke threads might be bored off center. The way to check for this is to hold the barrel up to light and look down the muzzle. You will notice a ring around the base of your choke tube. It should look even all the way around. If it doesn't, your chk. was bored off center and Benelli needs to make it right. You will find this more apparent when you use your shotgun to shoot slugs, but it will also affect your patterns with shot as well.

• 2 weeks later...

My M4 hit 5 inches high at 50 yards. The sights came dialed high right out of the box.

Dialing them all the way down, slugs hit the center (within two inches) at 50 yards.

My trap shooting results improved immediately after correcting the issue.