I broke my B&T Rail

Caligvla

If you haven't yet, I might suggest checking the muzzle end of your weapon where the ring for the mag tube attaches to the barrel for any stress cracks.

Either that BT rail is one crappy unit (or had a manufacturing flaw) or you had one seriously hot load that flexed the heck out of that baby.

If you haven't yet, I might suggest checking the muzzle end of your weapon where the ring for the mag tube attaches to the barrel for any stress cracks.

Either that BT rail is one crappy unit (or had a manufacturing flaw) or you had one seriously hot load that flexed the heck out of that baby.

tri-balls are insanely hot loads, if you ever run into a t-rex, that's the ammo to bring.

I very seldon reply to a post like this one....but when someone states " Tri-Balls are insanely hot loads"...I feel like for the sake of the uninformed, I must.

First of all, Tri-Ball is not a "hot" (as is in an over pressure) load. It is well inside the specs for 12 ga 3" Mag of 11.500 psi. as per our presuure tests at Ballistic Research. All our ammo must pass pressure tests before it goes to the public!

Tri-Ball II does have rather tough recoil, since you are pushing three .600" (325 gr each) balls, for a total weight of some 975 grs (abt 2 1/4 oz).

Now,....hang any thing heavy of a mount (maybe even a single mount?) and with that kind of recoil, it better be strong.

We have sold many thousands of Tri-Ball rounds and none have ever hurt a modern gun.

So...be very sure of what happens before you blame any company's ammo. and suggests it's Hot (over standard pressure specs)! We have to follow specs tighter than any scope base, or whatever, outfit does! I would also like the actual name of the person with the mount problem to see if we actally ship (based on our shipping records) him ammo and when.

Regards, James @ Dixie Slugs

All of that is well and good....and if he likes the loads fine and we appreciate his business.....but I want to still make it very clear to everyone that all our ammo is within specs. A post like the one with the damaged mount can give the impression our ammo is dangerous to use...and that can pass from forum to forum.

The post in question was called to my attention by a satisfied customer of ours that uses many of our product line.

I would stiill like to know who the shooter was that claimed our Tri-Ball II damaged his mount.

Regards, James

A post like the one with the damaged mount can give the impression our ammo is dangerous to use...and that can pass from forum to forum.

Well as an ammo manufacturer you should know ALL ammo is not only dangerous but lethal. From your confrontational tone, I am not so sure I should give you my personal details.

1.) Tri-balls are fun.

2.) Tri-balls are insanely hot, there is no factory ammo on the market that I personally have ever used that inflict the pain of shooting a Tri-ball. When you shoot a Tri-Ball out of an M4 it feels like a 400lb gorilla punched ya. Maybe I am a big wimp, but no factory ammo I ever shot feels like these.

3.) In all 3 semi-auto shotguns, I have to load Tri-balls one at a time, how they are crimped they are a bit long and don't transfer smoothly from the magazine tube to the chamber.

4.) Tri-balls group very tight even at 50 yards.

all I would say is that try em yourself see if you like em.

I have mixed feelings about them. You can talk about technical specs until your are blue in the face, you are not going to know how they work for you until you try them and see how they meet your needs.

Dixie Slugs is a small business and they are defensive about their product, a bad rep can crush a small business, and that is not my intent. I merely posted my anecdotal account of how shooting tri-balls split my mount.

And to also confirm there was no visible damage to my gun from shooting them, the Benelli M4 is a very well made weapon.

Best wishes to Dixie Slugs and there customers.

If I can down too hard, then I apologies. Recoil comes mainly from the weight of the ejecta you are pushing. Tri-Ball II has three .60" hard cast round balls that weigh 325 grs each...or a total of 975 grs (or 2 1/4 oz), which is a heavy 10 ga load.

Sometime during the Tri-Ball II production we switched to a deneser powde, which allowed us to crimp within 2.71" (standard for 12 ga 3" Mag). Some firearms that are 3" have the same lifters, etc as the original 2 3/4" guns. The Remington 870's have a long lifter in 3" and 3 1/2" giuns. Since we went to the denser power and crimped within the 2 .71" spec....there have been no feeding problems.

Yes, we are defensive about our products! When to word "Hot" floats around the web, many relate that to Excessive Pressure....and that's how I took it.

Our main market for Tri-Ball Ii is the buckshot shooters in the Southern tier of states. Anyone that hunts, and kills with it...will tell you it is far better than any regular buckshot load. I am not here trying to push Dixie's priducts, but rather make it clear that the Dixie loads are within pressure specs. Recoil is a different thing to deal with. Anytime you shoot a 10 ga load in the weight of a 12 ga guns...recoil will be stiff!

Regards, James

Caligvla if you want to try a different mount I have one the Insight Technology mounts. It's setup to mount any pistol type light, such as, M3, M3X, M6 type lights. I'll give you the mount u can just pay for the shipping to whereever u want it.