Questions about cutting down an M4 barrel

edon

• 4 weeks later...

There is more to it than just cutting it down, there is reattaching the FSB, and MTH, as well as shimming, and refinishing.

See my post about SBS/BBL work

It is not something a novice can do, a class III dealer/smith screwed up one guys shotgun so bad it was almost worthless.

It was harder to fix it for me, than it would have been for me to do it right the first time.

I spent alot of time, and money to make up the tooling necessary to do this work right.

Wow, awesome work! I thought there needed to be something done about the barrel being a smaller diameter. So I guess that there is no problem with these shortened barrels with reguards to cycling and such? Are you the gunsmith that did the barrel in my original post?

I'm still around - just been busy with a new son for the past 6 months or so.

The front sight and hanger must be shimmed, around 0.040" each if I recall correctly. Requires 2 different temp solders to do right I've been told.

I've put about 200-300 rounds through the modded 14" bbl. No stoppages or issues at all. I've shot both high and low brass stuff and it digests it all.

My brother has been in contact with a guy off AR15.com that has a fixture made for the M4 barrel shortening mod - this may indeed be the user WARPED posting here. His pics shown here certainly look like he does top notch stuff.

The pattern has opened up, but it is still a lethal close to medium range skeet gun. With 6 rounds semi-auto, whoever is running the auto skeet thrower can't throw clays fast enough to overwhelm you.

I love the 14" M4, but have also been thinking about getting a spare 18.5" bbl to get a little extra range on skeet. Then again, I try to pick a use for a weapon and stick with it so I don't have hundreds of dollars of parts/optics accessories lying around unused (or God forbid - connected to the weapon) like some sort of mall ninja.

The M4 SBS with a side saddle is awesome the way it is.

I'm still around - just been busy with a new son for the past 6 months or so.

The front sight and hanger must be shimmed, around 0.040" each if I recall correctly. Requires 2 different temp solders to do right I've been told.

I've put about 200-300 rounds through the modded 14" bbl. No stoppages or issues at all. I've shot both high and low brass stuff and it digests it all.

My brother has been in contact with a guy off AR15.com that has a fixture made for the M4 barrel shortening mod - this may indeed be the user WARPED posting here. His pics shown here certainly look like he does top notch stuff.

The pattern has opened up, but it is still a lethal close to medium range skeet gun. With 6 rounds semi-auto, whoever is running the auto skeet thrower can't throw clays fast enough to overwhelm you.

I love the 14" M4, but have also been thinking about getting a spare 18.5" bbl to get a little extra range on skeet. Then again, I try to pick a use for a weapon and stick with it so I don't have hundreds of dollars of parts/optics accessories lying around unused (or God forbid - connected to the weapon) like some sort of mall ninja.

The M4 SBS with a side saddle is awesome the way it is.

Yes it is me, hey who is your brother?