What's so special about collapsible stocks?

Domonlord

Sorry if this sounds like a noob question, but I've never used a collapsible stock for anything, much less a M4. I see them selling for 600 bucks on gunbroker, and I was wondering if it had some insanely useful benefit. I know they were previously banned in that Assault Weapon ban a while ago, but I guess I just don't have the imagination to see why.

One of the potentially useful features of the M4 is the collapsible buttstock.[...]Collapsing the buttstock shortens the weapon by almost 8 inches, allowing easier storage and transportation; furthermore, it permits better maneuverability around tight corners and over obstacles.

"Collapsible buttstock."
Benelli M4 Super 90
. 15 June 2008.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benelli_M4_Super_90

4 July 2008

For someone like a LEO or military it makes room to room sweeps easier and storage simple. To someone like me or most of us other guys it's the "just to say I have it factor" that influences having one. I must also add that for everyday sport and plinking they aren't what you want. They look neat but are very uncomfortable and after numerous shots you will miss a normal stock.

Honestly the collapsible stock is not nearly as comfortable as the fixed.

But it's kind of rare, hard to come by now, and it's fun to shoot in the collapsed/mid position.

I keep it on my gun all the same, and just deal with the pain :)

The regular stock with full pistol grip is the way to go. The telescoping stock gets hung up on branches, your clothes, the sling, any low hanging wires/ pieces of metal and nearby kids. Of course, once you've adding a holo sight, 8 round side saddle, night vision scope, pressure sensitive flashlight, ghost ring sights, breaching door muzzle attachment, laser sight, 12 round extended magazine tube, over size bolt closing button, over size bolt, quick load extended magazine loader and a 6 point harness sling - - having the telescoping stock catch on your clothes may not seem like a bad thing.

H+K M1 S90 in Defense Configuration. 22 years in service just the way the factory shipped it. Keep it simple, keep it working. :)

The regular stock with full pistol grip is the way to go. The telescoping stock gets hung up on branches, your clothes, the sling, any low hanging wires/ pieces of metal and nearby kids. Of course, once you've adding a holo sight, 8 round side saddle, night vision scope, pressure sensitive flashlight, ghost ring sights, breaching door muzzle attachment, laser sight, 12 round extended magazine tube, over size bolt closing button, over size bolt, quick load extended magazine loader and a 6 point harness sling - - having the telescoping stock catch on your clothes may not seem like a bad thing.

H+K M1 S90 in Defense Configuration. 22 years in service just the way the factory shipped it. Keep it simple, keep it working. :)

What he said.