M4 ammunition?

Unobtanium

I know that the Benelli Inertia system requires the use of decently stiff loads (no reduced recoil).

How is the ARGO on the M4? Can I fire WIN Ranger reduced recoil Buckshot 8-pellet loads? How about the Wal-mart cheap-stuff in #7 shot just for pests/fun? Will the ARGO cycle these lower recoil loads?

I know that the Benelli Inertia system requires the use of decently stiff loads (no reduced recoil).

How is the ARGO on the M4? Can I fire WIN Ranger reduced recoil Buckshot 8-pellet loads? How about the Wal-mart cheap-stuff in #7 shot just for pests/fun? Will the ARGO cycle these lower recoil loads?

When I first bought my M4 I tried some Win Ranger 00BK and some Win Ranger slugs I think they were both low recoil rounds and it wouldnt shoot them at all. It would fire but would fail to push the bolt back far enough to load the next round. At the time the Benelli was NIB and that was the first time I had shot it. Now, 2500 rounds later it will usually shoot whatever I put in it. If I recall correctly I think Benelli will tell you to use a minimum 1 1/8 oz Shot to cycle the action reliably. I'm pretty sure the Federal cheap 100rd value pack stuff from Wal-Mart is 1 1/8 oz shot. I just shot a whole case of Estate 2 3/4, 1 oz shot #8 and it ran just fine. So I guess once you have several 100 rounds through the gun and its broken in you should be good to go. :)

That's not good. All I could find were 3/4 and 1oz slugs in 12ga. at Bass Pro. Does this mean that it will not function with normal slugs, or is the increased velocity (1500+fps) enough to make up for the lesser weight? Basically, from what you are saying, the ARGO gas-system is pretty finicky?

That's not good. All I could find were 3/4 and 1oz slugs in 12ga. at Bass Pro. Does this mean that it will not function with normal slugs, or is the increased velocity (1500+fps) enough to make up for the lesser weight? Basically, from what you are saying, the ARGO gas-system is pretty finicky?

You didn't mention anything about slugs. You asked about bird and buck shot. That's what i was referring to when I mentioned the 1 1/8oz shot to use.

I've never had any problems with 1 oz. slugs. Other than the Win Ranger slugs which like I said the gun was NIB and I only had 5 oof them to try. Generally anything around 1150 fps should have no problems cycling your gun. I use the Brenneke Low recoil home defense slugs, Brenneke KO slugs, Wolf slugs, Win slugs, all of them tend to work just fine. Any 3" slug should do the job just fine as well. :D

Just shot some Remington "SLUGGER" slugs (foster style) from my 20ga IMP fixed cylinder Win 1500

At 15 yards a 5-shot group was 4-6" (didn't measure). It was high 6-8" and left 3-4".

With the M4's adjustable sights, can I expect the same kind of performance (maybe better as all the winchester had was a bead) only centered? At 25 yards what kind of groups should I get with just cheap Remington slugs?

Will it cycle the 1oz@16-1700fps slugs?

Just shot some Remington "SLUGGER" slugs (foster style) from my 20ga IMP fixed cylinder Win 1500

At 15 yards a 5-shot group was 4-6" (didn't measure). It was high 6-8" and left 3-4".

With the M4's adjustable sights, can I expect the same kind of performance (maybe better as all the winchester had was a bead) only centered? At 25 yards what kind of groups should I get with just cheap Remington slugs?

Will it cycle the 1oz@16-1700fps slugs?

You wont have any problems cycling 1600+fps slugs. It will rock you and shoot out a nice flame!

I've never shot slugs further than about 25 yards and never shot them for groups. I was shooting at bowling pins and had no problems hitting them using Wolf slugs, which from what I have been told aren't the best for grouping. But they were like $2.00 a box so thats what I used.

You wont have any problems cycling 1600+fps slugs. It will rock you and shoot out a nice flame!

I've never shot slugs further than about 25 yards and never shot them for groups. I was shooting at bowling pins and had no problems hitting them using Wolf slugs, which from what I have been told aren't the best for grouping. But they were like $2.00 a box so thats what I used.

Awesome. I was shooting 3/4oz 20ga at 1600fps. How will 1oz at 1700fps feel comparatively from the heavier M4? About like the difference I found today in 20ga from going from 1/2oz At 1800 to 3/4oz at 1600, or will it be greater? I did not find the 3/4 at 1600 to be troublesome at all.

I assume since you never missed a pin (and those are 3-4" wide IIRC or so) then 5" groups at 25 yards should be cake.

What choke were you using? Would MOD be okay?

modified is fine. I shoot slugs through my full choke ... and it looks good as new.

Your M4 should run just about everything, most low recoil rounds included, after you break it in.

If you're worried, and I know you are, only buy a box or two of a certain round to test it. See what works and what doesn't.

If you are worried your m4 will fail you in a time of need ... you should be using full power loads for self preservation anyways.

New out of the box both my buddies and my M4 would cycle the Winchester low-recoil rounds no problems out of 50 rounds each. We were using the Ranger 00buck 9 pellet low-recoil. 2 3/4" of course.

We also ran a few boxes of the Remington reduced recoil slugs afterwards and no problems with those either.

Maybe you have to hold the gun up to your shoulder pretty firm and solid, especially since the gun is new and hasn't been broken in. If you move back with the recoil of the gun perhaps the bolt carrier moves back with you and is not able to get the most possible firm back-travel.

hope I am not overstating the obvious, but if your low-recoil ammo doesn't cycle, there is a charging handle so you manually cycle the next round...

if you want to speed up the break-in process, shoot about 1000 rounds of the hottest turkey loads you can find.

I have shot about 20,000 rounds through my M4, I still can't cycle win-lite rounds, my solution... not to buy them...

Standard rounds feel like low-recoil rounds when shot out of an M4, so I don't see much point of low-recoil anything with an M4...

I shoot reduced recoil loads through my M1 all the time with no problems at all. I thinks it's a misconception that the Benelli inertia recoil system won't cycle these types of rounds.

When I first got my M4 i tried the Winchester #8 Super target 3 dram. it would not cycle a full mag. I called Benelli and they told me "its a Combat Shotgun meant to shoot full loads. Dont shoot anything less than 3 drams 1 1/8 oz charge"

At about 200 rounds of mostly slugs and 00 buck I tried another box of the Winchester and it cycled perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...