M1S90 recoil spring removal

steel slinger

I've read posts about replacing the recoil spring in the rear of the shotgun and replacing it with a stiffer spring, how do you remove the tube at the rear of the shotgun? I see it takes a 17mm wrench, when turning it does the end come off or does the whole tube come off at the back of the receiver? Thanks for any help on this proceedure.

Originally posted by steel slinger:

I've read posts about replacing the recoil spring in the rear of the shotgun and replacing it with a stiffer spring, how do you remove the tube at the rear of the shotgun? I see it takes a 17mm wrench, when turning it does the end come off or does the whole tube come off at the back of the receiver? Thanks for any help on this proceedure.

The aircraft locknut will come off first allowing you to pull the stock off and then you can remove the end of the recoil spring tube assembly. The tube is "permanently" attatched to the reciever. You can get it off if you want to but it is locktited on. Then you can remove the spring and replace wit the new one and reassemble.

At the same time, I would build a polishing brush from a bore brush, steel wool, and a section of cleaning rod. I run that up and down the tube with some metal polish using a power drill. Keeps that tube slick.

Bootster's info is all good.

mudhen - CA