What's your opinion?

Nikolai552

They're extremely powerful. Only ammo the use to bust down locks and door hinges.

Slugs can be used safely to 75 yards. They have ove 1000 foot pounds of energy.

I bet you can use it on a Moose or Elk, but well placed and within a certain range.

Even if you had to defend yourself, say if you were deer hunting and a bear trotted by and tried to give you a run for your money, put one slug in it and i'm not sure it live for very long. If it did come back for another helping put 1 or 2 more in it and it would drop like a ton of bricks.

a 12 ga slug weighs from 7/8 to 1 1/8 oz. travels at 1350-1550 fps.they have awsome knock down power. it will likely stop EVERYTHING on this continent, with maybe the exeption of an abrams tank. i cant find a conversion chart, and cant seem to figure a formula to convert oz's to grains. i think a 1 1/8oz slug weighs around 700 grains. i load 50bmg with 800grain bullets and 255 grains of powder. but there are o lot of other really hard hitting rifles. 375 H&H,458 win mag , weatherby 460 mag. but, yes slugs are very powerful. i just never cared for them due to the excesive damage they do, and limited range. i dont heart shoot my dear, ishot for the middle/center of the neck 6" below the head. ive never had to track one. i hunt for the freezer, not the wall. i hunt with a 7mm mag, but if i ever have a charging rhino or elephant, im sure ill wish i had a 12 ga w/slugs.

• 2 weeks later...

i can't

not to mention it prolly would be 700 grains of slug and the inherant recoil would also more than likely make shootin a 50 cal like one of the new stoeger air rifles.

i wouldnt be the one to fire off the first round or any for that matter.

cool chart, thanks. i have shot 458 win mags, 460 weatherbys mags, 375 h&h, and several other big bore guns. i got to shoot a 10ga the other day for the first time. 3 1/2", 4 1/2 drams eq, 2oz of #6 shot. i thought this is gonna leave a mark. IT DID. then the guy showed me an 8ga single shot breakover,that belong to his granddad. :D ill just watch YOU shoot that one:D, says he cant find ammo for it

Its just turns your shotgun into musket. They have tremendous stopping power up close though. It has been reported that they can kill you up close with soft body armor on.

The accuracy of foster type slugs through a non rifled, or rifled choke barrel leaves something to be desired. They kick pretty hard too and if you use the low recoil stuff, buck or slug, your gonna get correspondingly low velocity and energy.

I'm sold on OO and OOO full power 2.75" Mags with buffered copper plated shot and a IMP MOD or a MOD choke for 30-75yards and IMP CYL for less than 30. I WILL gets some hits on a fast moving target.

I can't say this with slugs. Even the Federal Tru-Ball slugs which by all accounts is the best slug out there for a smoothbore tube.