dove season

splashtx556ftw

ah yes. dove season is just around the corner.sept 1st, limit 14 per day, 28 in possesion.there seems to be a record number of these tasty little birds this year here in north central texas. i was told you can hunt dove in old mexico, and there is no limit. but a mexico hunting license is $15.00.i was also told you deffinatly want that mex lic with you if you get stopped by a tex game warden. and best of all is, my wife wont eat em.all the more for me.:D

you guys all sound spoiled, up here in PA there are tons of places you can hunt and chances are nobody else is there but your lucky to see 30 doves in a day and maybe have 15 get close enough to shoot at.

then there is the fact that they come by at 50 mph and maybe if your a good shot you bag 4-5 of um. you have to freeze up every harvest and get one good meal for the season.

also for a resident it costs ya $23 to hunt doves and if your a non-res figure on takin out a loan

15/30 here

Looking forward to it!

I wonder how many here have taken slightly in excess of the daily limit at one time or another in their lives?

I hunted by myself by a power line that crossed a cut corn field while Hurricane Diana raged on. I think it was in 1984... or was it 85? :cool:

I hear you guys, it is definitely my favorite season. Midwesterners say what you will but dove season in the South gets the blood pumping to start the total hunting season. We have unfortunately seen a decline in birds over the last few years but sending my little brown dog after the 10 or so I get to knock down a day makes it all worthwhile. I remember years where you could kill your limit in 30 minutes of the afternoon of the first day (opening day starts at noon for us) and not catch a wink of sleep waiting to get out on labor day monday to do it all again and have just as good a day. If you all are big dove and upland hunters, I urge you to look at a Boykin Spaniel as your bird dog. You will not find a better small retriever with the desire to please and a great pet at home. I was 10 years old when my uncle bought his first one and the birds come back just like they fell and before a lab could get on his feet from sit. I may be partial as they are the South Carolina state dog but these little brown guys are after your birds and your heart.

to answer tucker301s question. i have over limited once.i got in on a company sponsered hunt in 1988. on a cut milo field. we slaughtered birds. i killed 45 birds. three times the legal limit in texas.when we left the field,setting on the edge of the road was a texas gamewarden. he stopped us, checked our guns for plugs, then searched our vehicles.when he found how many birds we had, he cited us, and kept all but 15 birds each. the fine was.....$40.00 per every bird over 15.=$1200.00. and we were not allowed to pay it out. ive never done again.

just found out today that the PA dove season bag limit is raised from 12 to 15 this yr.

had to email the PGC for info sisnce none of the regs have been available here at out post offices and nothing on the website.

i'll be surprised if i even see 15 a day let alone shoot 15 but it has been dry here the last 2 weeks and that might be all it takes to put me in a good spot.

i will def be huntin near water **** i might stand in the water !

First day of the season yesterday - September 1.

Here in Colorado, you can take 15 morning doves (30 in posession) and there is no limit on Eurasian doves - they are considered an "invasive species". To me, they taste just as good.

I hunted with a few folks on some private land with permission of the farmer. We were in an area between two feed lots that had a field of rotting cantelope and some tomatoes with a couple strips of okra and corn fields on each side. We nailed the snot out of them in the morning. The doves were flying from one feed lot to another and stopping on the way in the cantelope and tomato field to feed on the produce. There were about 8 of us in the group but I hunted mostly with two others (the others in the group don't like the Eurasians as much so they concentrated on a brushy area that held more morning doves).

We finished up about 5:00 or so and went over to the farmer's vegetable stand and thanked him a ton. Bought a bunch of really good fresh produce from him and made our way back home.

Between me and the other two in the group I hunted with, we shot well over a hundred birds. About 28 of them were morning doves and the rest were Eurasians. Not sure how the other folks in the group did - they're camping on the farmer's land down there the whole week.

It was an awesome day. Didn't finish cleaning birds until 10:30 last night. All the birds I cleaned had corn feed or mellon seeds in them. Good thing I took the day off today!