New SBE II owner

schleppy

Hello,

I have been shooting a remington 11-87 for the last several years and finally destroyed it. I just picked up the SBE 2 last week and I have a few questions. What are people doing to keep the recoil pad from falling out?

Is the oil that comes with the gun any good, or is there a prefered aftermarket product?

I was reading on the forums that the black finish on the gun may be prone to rust. I duck hunt a lot and I dont really like cleaning guns. I got the benelli due to the non-gas operated system not getting dirty as quickly and therefore requiring less cleaning. Do I need to coat this gun with oil to prevent rust? I dont want to hear a bunch of Benelli flag waving, I just want to hear the truth about the metal on the gun. The remington was a rust prone gun, and my friends with SBE 1 models never had any rust complanints. This was another reason I decided on the Benelli. Did they change something between the SBE 1 and 2 models in regards to the metal or finish?

I dont want to hear a bunch of Benelli flag waving, I just want to hear the truth about the metal on the gun.

You get what you get brother. Don't come on here and start making demands with your first post :rolleyes:

The gel pad is given some sort of dry lube when new. A quick clean up with some sort of detergent or cleaner will usually take care of the problem. My SBE II pad has not fallen out with four seasons of hard hunting. If the pad is undersized, all the cleaning in the world will not help, you will need to contact Benelli CS and ask them to exchange the pad. This is a relatively old problem, but maybe your SBE II was sitting on the rack for awhile.

I've owned Benellis since 1990 and have not had any rust problems with any of them. I've had matte guns, blued guns, camo guns, Montes, SBE's, M1's, M2's, Legacy's, Novas, SBE II's, etc.

As far as changes, sure, there could have been lots of changes. There could have been changes in machinery, blueing methods, manufacturing, etc. As I recall, Franky makes most of Beretta Holdings shotgun barrels, so maybe they have made changes.

If they all rusted, Benelli would have been out of business long ago. As is, they sell every gun that make, so they must be doing something right.

So pardon me for discrediting the vast minority and siding with the vast majority :D

Any bets for how long it will take Rustola-Boy to post up like a broken record? I say within 24 hours.....

I have owned a Benelli for almost ...30 years (time goes so fast!!!)

They were always a better made autoloader....

Your gun is better made also and you should not have any problems with it.

You made a good choice and i wish you good hunts in the days to come

I second that mudhen...i hav'nt had any problems at all with my SBE2 and its been out in alot of rain..just takecare of it like it was a corvett, cause it is at the top. as for the recoil pad...no problem with my'in falling off at all..its an awsome auto and you'll get years out of it aslong as you take care of it....as for oils, i use FP-10 for lubication its works, protects and cleans....Honkers41

I've hunted 2 years with my SBEII and have had at least 2 days in hard rain where all I did was wipe the gun down after the hunt. If you don't like cleaning guns, I hope you have enough money to support that. You have enough money to buy one of the finest firearms in the world...why not take care of it and allow those after you to enjoy the craftsmanship, ergonomics and sheer enjoyment of shooting a Benelli? The guy who let his gun rust made bad decisions. It's one of the easiest guns to clean that I've ever owned. It usually takes me less than 5 minutes to break it down, run a brush and swab through it and wipe it down before putting it away...do you not have 5 extra minutes to ensure the gun lives longer than you do? Maybe I come from a different walk of life but I saved money from the time I was 15 to buy my first Benelli and the least I can do is wipe it down every so often...I enjoy pulling it out of the safe just to look at it and remember all I did, accomplished and sacrificed to be able to purchase that shotgun. I suggest you realize what exactly you're holding and shooting. TAKE CARE OF IT!

new 2 hunting-3 yrs. got a browning cit.and sbe2 camo. learned an awful lot form u guys here, including how to clean a gun. (no rust even after hunting in freezing rain). i wanted to say thanks to all in my first post, been reading here for 2 years and it feels like i know u guys. i even love the squabbles u guys have.. my kids are raised and i am loving hunting and u guys were a great help....oh yeah.. the sbe 2 is a fantastic gun.......thanks again..

What are people doing to keep the recoil pad from falling out?

Never had a problem, so I guess I'm doing nothing to keep it from falling out.

Is the oil that comes with the gun any good, or is there a prefered aftermarket product?

The Benelli oil is a CLP. It's OK, but there's not enough to last a responsible gun owner very long. If you decide to start cleaning your guns, you'll need more. Break-free or Hoppes Elite work well.

Do I need to coat this gun with oil to prevent rust?

Yes.

I just want to hear the truth about the metal on the gun.

The truth is you need to take care of this and every other firearm you own. If you hunt in wet weather, the gun will need to be disassembled and cleaned and lubed.

For fair weather hunts, a quick field strip and cleanup will do.

A quick cleanup takes about 5 minutes.

A full cleanup takes about 10-15 minutes.

If you ignore these truths, your Benelli will most likely begin to rust.