cycling question

pud

I have had an SBE for three years and love it. This year I have had a few cyclying problems. I use a variety of shells and I am not sure which shells it has happened with. It has not happened with 2 3/4, but has happened with 3-inch (and 3 1/2 I think - I can't remember for sure) The last instance was with Remington 3-inch steel and it happened once with Remington 3-inch hevi shot.

What seems to be happening is the first and second rounds cycle fine, but the third round comes part way out of the chamber while it is cycled into the action and jams the gun with the final round unfired.

I do clean it regularly, but it recieves heavy use. Any suggestions?

My first SBE did the same thing only it was usually the second round and only with the 3 inch stuff. I never did figure out what exactly the problem was but I switched to Kent shells and I didn't have a problem with those. Mine would do it with Federal's or Winchester's, Winchester's were worse though. I sold that gun and bought a new SBE and haven't had one problem with it.

If it happens alot, then you might have to send it back (mine was like that at first). Then I had random jams every 5-10 shots with various loads and sometimes I could shoot two boxes with no problem.

With the advice of some folk on this board, I am now very careful to keep the ejector spring/plate oiled. For my SBE, it seems to be the critical oiling point.

I'm about 2 boxes into this season without a jam. I would have shot more, but the switch to hevi shot seems to make me need fewer shells.

I have the same problem with my M1 this year. I have used this gun for 4 years and have always used Remington Nitro Steel #2,#4, and BB in 3 inch. and untill opening day this year I had no problems. BUt this year I bought some Remington nitor steel High Velocity and the 2nd or 3rd shell would not eject. I grabbed some left overs fromt he season before and they would n't work either. I had a few Kent Steel left over from late last season when I couldn't find any remingtons. They worked great. We came in from the morning hunt and I cleaned the gun really good and went out for the afternoon and the same result. Luckily my buddy had an extra box of Kent Steel which again worked great. The following weekend I bought some Federal Steel and cleaned the gun really, really good and had the same result. So does anybody have any clues to why remington all of a sudden won't work in my gun. Oh and the left over shells from last year, half of them I couldn't even load into the gun, were in an un-opened box that was left in my water proof ammo box in my basement.

Sorry, I do not know how to test the extractor spring.

Given that you are having problems with shot shells you had on hand that worked last year, I am trying to guess what could have caused the problem.

The best guess I have to offer is the extractor spring and/or extractor is worn.

When you cleaned the gun, did you clean and reoil the recoil spring and tube?

Regards threeshot

I cleaned the entire bolt with Carb cleaner and then used a light oil to lube it. I believed I used Rem oil and used the straw on both the carb cleaner and the Rem oil to get into the nook and crannies but I did not take the bolt apart. Mainly because I have never done it and don't want to screw it up, especially during hunting season.

I understand your concern regarding disassembly of the bolt assembly.

I just followed the manual regarding the field stripping and cleaning.

The bolt assembly is easy to strip, clean and oil the components per the manual.

Give it a try and if you have questions, post here and many folks will help you.

If you are missing your manual, you can download Benelli Italy Site with Manuals .

Regards threeshot

Thanks for the manual link

I did not have because I bought it used.

Tomorrow I am picking up my SBE II and I will ask the sales guy if he can get me a ne ejector spring and replace. Even if it is not the problem how much could it cost for a new spring, a dollar at most .

Thanks again 3 shot

I just got done field striping and cleaning the trigger and bolt assembly. Geez I just looked at the parts page you sent me an that ejector spring is 5 bucks and the tiny O ring on the back of the bolt is 7.50. Mine is showing signs of dry rot so I will replace that as well.

So which spring are you saying might cause the problem? The extractor right, not the inertia or recoil springs? I regularly disasemble my bolt for cleaning but I have never pulled the extractor spring. I always lightly oil the inertia spring while I'm in there though.

Can I even get at the recoil spring? I don't know how to get in there either.

pud,

You say your gun gets heavy use over the last three years or so.

You have thoroughly clean the trigger assembly (all the parts you can see without disassembly of the parts that make-up the trigger assembly), the bolt assembly and the recoil tube?

If so, I am guessing the problem may be the extractor is worn and/or the extractor spring (not the inertia or recoil springs) is weak.

Sorry, I have not attempted to remove the extractor spring and do not know the proper tools and method to remove.

Regards threeshot