Accuracy (any changes ion '08?)

boros

Sorry to post this again, but this group hasn't been active for a while and I'd like the latest scoop.

Anyhow, bought a 300 WSM R-1 on a whim, and I'm still in the waiting period (California). Anyhow, reading this forum scares the cr*p out of me. I really like accuracy - other hunting rifle is a Weatherby Sub MOA and a few accurate ARs. I have a buddy that has one of these in .300 WM and he says he gets 1.5"... I guess that's OK. But many other here get worse. And it just doesn't make sense to have a gun who's grouping changes after cleaning...

So, have there been any changes in the '08 models? Is Benelli's standard still 2.5"?

I'm saying this because I'm really tempted to just pay the re-stocking fee and not pick up this rifle. 2.5" or worse just isn't acceptable - even for an auto-loader.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but there hasn't been traffic here for a while... crickets & cobwebbs. Maybe a bad sign?

Benelli reads, but rarely do they comment.

To my knowledge, there have been no changes to improve the repeatable accuracy of the rifles once they are disassembled and reassembled. The same flaws are still very much there in the design.

As far as the accuracy potential of each rifle, I think it's there, but they seem to be more susceptible to load variances than most other rifles.

I believe there is a pet load out there for each R1, but it's going to cost you something to find it.

Even after that happens, the repeatability issue remains a serious concern.

The rifle has a specific purpose, and performs well within its limitations. It is not a highly accurate long range rifle.

Your best bet for that is to stick with the AR platform.

Thanks for the info...

Guess I'll just pay the re-stocking fee on the R-1 and await delivery of my new Remington R-25.

Sad, I really wanted this Benelli to be better... loved the feel of it.

Thanks!

Benelli reads, but rarely do they comment.

To my knowledge, there have been no changes to improve the repeatable accuracy of the rifles once they are disassembled and reassembled. The same flaws are still very much there in the design.

As far as the accuracy potential of each rifle, I think it's there, but they seem to be more susceptible to load variances than most other rifles.

I believe there is a pet load out there for each R1, but it's going to cost you something to find it.

Even after that happens, the repeatability issue remains a serious concern.

The rifle has a specific purpose, and performs well within its limitations. It is not a highly accurate long range rifle.

Your best bet for that is to stick with the AR platform.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought one on a wimb also because I really like my sbeII. The salesman kept stressing how important it was to properly screw the barrel back on and once it stops no more pressure should be used. Hope it works and anyone have pointers on parts too replace? Such as I like the stainless steel sure-cycle much better than the factory in the sbeII. The posts are not all that great for the r1 but I have heard Glock is the five letter word for junk also.:confused:

A good solution I heard was to make sure it's disassembeld, clean, and oil properly with-in a week before the hunt make sure the gun is sighted in with less than five shots and only clean the inside of the barrel. Does this sound like a good solution or are the sights too far off after each disassemble for you r-1 shooters before the hunt?