FS: U.S. made Benelli M4 Full-Length mag tubes - NEW THREAD

SOCOMguy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know, are SOCOMGUY's tubes made with one-piece construction, or is there welding involved? Also, is he still making/selling them?

yeah he still makes them and im not sure on the construction. ive also heard good things about them. he's got them on GunBroker though, but im sure someone will be along soon that will know..

What is to weld?...

The tubing they start with can be seamless or welded. It's two different ways to make tubing. I'm not familiar with Ti tubing but would guess the small diameters are seamless and you don't have to worry about welds until you getup to larger diameters.

I just looked it up and the sizes we are talking about for a magazine tube could be either seamless or welded. Modern welded tubing has the welds finished and the tube heat treated to make the weld invisible to the naked eye. Its only real effect is on the pressure rating of the tube, welded tubing is rated about 30% lower pressure than seamless. In our application I don't think it matters. The concern would be the appearance of the weld after machining.

Edited by OhioM4

• 1 month later...

The tubing I use is extruded aircaft grade steel so there is no welding, just like your shorter factory tube.

I am still making these tubes. I have been out of town for about 2 months so I apologize for not answering questions or PM's on here. Email is still the best way to get ahold of me.

Thanks to all who have placed orders. I will have more tubes ready in 2 weeks for those who have not placed an order.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry if this has already been answered here, but what's the magazine spring of choice for the M4 after one outfits the gun with the full length tube?

Hey Hoodfu,

That would definitely be the Wolff spring supplied by Kip at Carriercomp with his tubes. It can also be purchased from him as a seperate item and I believe he usually has them in stock and ready to ship.

Here it is:

http://www.shop.carriercomp.com/product.sc?productId=1

Later,

Hookster :)

Hey Hoodfu,

That would definitely be the Wolff spring supplied by Kip at Carriercomp with his tubes. It can also be purchased from him as a seperate item and I believe he usually has them in stock and ready to ship.

Here it is:

http://www.shop.carriercomp.com/product.sc?productId=1

Later,

Hookster :)

Interesting. Here is the same spring $2 cheaper:

http://www.freedomfightertactical.com/order.php#cart_restore

Apparently the Wolff spring sold by FFT has finished ends these days, even though the pic shows an unfinished spring. I've inquired about that and whether they had Ti tubes in stock because my indecisive butt may finally get off the fence and get a full Ti tube. Finally.

Guest cleefurd
Interesting. Here is the same spring $2 cheaper:

http://www.freedomfightertactical.com/order.php#cart_restore

How say you?; That this is the "same" spring ?

I assure you it is not our Wolff revised part #. Just sayin'.

At a minimum there are 3 specifications when ordering a spring, and 9 in the spring to carriercomp specs.

• Same league? Arguably-yes.
  • Similar value? Arguably-yes.
  • Same quality? Certainly... it's a Wolff.
  • Same specs? Unlikely at best.

Yer slippin h.bowman. Your teachings insist we not sing any praises, purvey either disparity/similarities, or follow the herd, until we have held it in our own hand. Yours is sound advice.

Your teachings insist we not sing any praises, purvey either disparity/similarities, or follow the herd, until we have held it in our own hand. Yours is sound advice.

Well, in fairness to me, I called it the "same" spring. Not that one was better than the other.

And for my "teachings" - it is not that there should be no "singing of praises" or "purveyance of disparity/similarities". Hey, if you get a part from a vendor and it works the way you want it to, or exceeds your expectations, share it. I just don't get how one can get such a part and make a claim of "undoubtedly the best" without seeing everyone's wares.

That really is the only place I have ever had a problem - when people say things like "undoubtedly the best" when they've not had a fair opportunity to compare offerings. I think that does a disservice to the vendors and to the consumer. I urge fairness and caution when making such claims. That's it.

And yes, there are people here that haven't held ANY of the vendors parts who say things like "undoubtedly the best" when in the same breath they'll admit they've not seen any of the offerings. Again, a disservice to the entire community.

Guest cleefurd
Well, in fairness to me, I called it the "same" spring. Not that one was better than the other.

And yes, there are people here that haven't held ANY of the vendors parts who say things like "undoubtedly the best" when in the same breath they'll admit they've not seen any of the offerings. Again, a disservice to the entire community.

True, and I have not held theirs so I'll refrain at all costs from saying ours is better, especially given the consideration that their test criteria and ours may differ.... but it's the best dang spring we could come up with, and we did not stop the revision/testing until we felt it (spring) met or exceeded all the reasonable performance expectations desired of it.

I whole heartedly concur with your entire final paragraph. I also covet the willingness of customers (some of whom I consider friends) to go out on that limb, and convey if nothing else, that by surpassing their expectations, they can scarcely detect any room for improvement. The only thing I can attribute this to transends form and function, it is our insistence that each and every item be more than hardware, it must represent an obvious and diligent attempt towards perfection. There are many who would balk at a spec of dust in the finish, and we have no desire to sell him a spec of dust unless he requests it. No one has yet, so we make wind-chimes with the "dusty-ones".

True, and I have not held theirs so I'll refrain at all costs from saying ours is better, especially given the consideration that their test criteria and ours may differ.... but it's the best dang spring we could come up with, and we did not stop the revision/testing until we felt it (spring) met or exceeded all the reasonable performance expectations desired of it.

I whole heartedly concur with your entire final paragraph. I also covet the willingness of customers (some of whom I consider friends) to go out on that limb, and convey if nothing else, that by surpassing their expectations, they can scarcely detect any room for improvement. The only thing I can attribute this to transends form and function, it is our insistence that each and every item be more than hardware, it must represent an obvious and diligent attempt towards perfection. There are many who would balk at a spec of dust in the finish, and we have no desire to sell him a spec of dust unless he requests it. No one has yet, so we make wind-chimes with the "dusty-ones".

Benelli Mag Tube Wind-chimes! Now Skeeter will want those!!:D

Nice mag tube BUT I have had it installed on my M4 less than a year and it is rusting. The gun is stored inside in a climate conrolled safe and has not ever been fired. Why is it rusting?????

I also attempted to install a Vang Comp standoff device and the threads on the mag tube are,evidently, not the same. It will not fit, however it fits easily on the stock mag tube.

Just pertinent info for those looking for a M4 mag tube.

Guest cleefurd

machspass;

Which tube is rusting? Wether the OEM tube or SocomGuys... If it's just light rust, buff it with terry cloth soaked in CLP or similar rust-preventative oil. If heavy rust, use a light buffing with 0000 steel wool, then oil it down. Wipe down the spring too, to keep it from leeching corrosion onto mag tubes I.D. Properly maintained the steel tube should hold up well, just don't neglect it the same as any ferrous portion of a firearm.

Edited by cleefurd