Surefire on the Cheap

tucker301

I've done a few projects like this ... I have mixed feelings on the matter.

It's great fun to be able to get a powerful light for not very much money, but it also seems to lead people to believe that there is no reason to invest in a quality light like a surefire ... and there isn't, if you don't care about longevity, durability, reliability, waterproofness or build quality. :)

That 900 lumen led looks interesting, I may have to try that out ... I wonder how long it will last in a garbage housing like the donor flashlight?

There may be cheaper ways, but I wouldn't try them for several reasons:

1. Established reputation and real world performance of Surefire.

2. Parts availability.

3.Systematically tested with actual test equipment.

4. Modular system with interchangeable rails, bulbs, switches, etc. etc.

I've done a few projects like this ... I have mixed feelings on the matter.

It's great fun to be able to get a powerful light for not very much money, but it also seems to lead people to believe that there is no reason to invest in a quality light like a surefire ... and there isn't, if you don't care about longevity, durability, reliability, waterproofness or build quality. :)

That 900 lumen led looks interesting, I may have to try that out ... I wonder how long it will last in a garbage housing like the donor flashlight?

It will last a long time if you take care of the light, and use the appropriate heat sink, when you order the led, they will give you several choices, I used the smallest one and the light lasted several months, I went with a same led mounted to a larger heat sink and the light has been flawless.

But on a side note, you can buy a better light on eBay for the same money as making it, and it will come sealed with o-rings in an aluminum housing.

Someone on another forum stated that the Cabelas line of tactical flashlights are exact duplicates of the Surefires. Parts even interchange.

You talking about this post?

I bought 2 flashlights that were involved in the email only sale. I just wished I would have bought more. They were listed as $18 and some change each. They are excellent lights for what they are. They have a glass lens, a switch (no twist on or off), came with batteries, rubberized camo coating, double o-rings, and a more even light distribution than the Surefire. I tested both bulbs against each other and the Cabela's won with a brighter light and better, more even distribution.

Here are some pictures:

Double O-rings

image001.jpg

Bulb Comparison:

image005.jpg

You talking about this post?

I bought 2 flashlights that were involved in the email only sale. I just wished I would have bought more. They were listed as $18 and some change each. They are excellent lights for what they are. They have a glass lens, a switch (no twist on or off), came with batteries, rubberized camo coating, double o-rings, and a more even light distribution than the Surefire. I tested both bulbs against each other and the Cabela's won with a brighter light and better, more even distribution.

Here are some pictures:

Double O-rings

image001.jpg

Bulb Comparison:

image005.jpg

looks like they go to different schools together

novaking