Reloading steel for this fall

Misfire

just wondering if anybody is reloading their own steel shot and what some of your favorite shot size and loads might be.

my dad and i have reloaded lead shells off and on for over 15 yrs

but last yr i started buyin all brandy new reloading stuffs and i am gunna load my own steel for this yr.

my main focus is gunna be loading #2 thru BB and varying loads from 7/8oz to 1 1/4oz

i talked to some people about using Reloading Specialties recipes for loads with over 1700 fps.

im excited to feel what real recoil is !!

any thoughts or comments ?

I've been using Reloading Specialties supplies for about 5 years or so now. Buy it from Bucks Run Sports Suppy. Real good people to do business with. I usually only reload recipie #127 with #3 steel. Works great on ducks over decoys out to 35-40 yards. For big late season mallards and blacks I use a duplex load of #127 with 20% #1 steel over 80% #3. Kind of tedioius to load but the results are worth it. I always hand measure my charges of Alliant Steel powder because it's hard to get consistant throws on my mec so you might want to be real careful going over 1600 fps. I tried the real fast loads but found #1 patterns blow apart #2 nobody will stand next to you in the blind because of the muzzle blast and #3 its hard on you and worse on your shotgun, just ask my gunsmith.

I am using the Lightning Steel data, all 2 3/4" loads up to 1675 and no fillers. Primer, Powder, Wad, shot, crimp.........:D

Loaded #7's for swatter loads, #6's for Dove, #5's for Teal over Decoys and #4's for the non committal Teal and Puddle Ducks.

I have tried them all in the LS manual and settled on a 1 oz load at 1570 +/- a few fps

The faster loads are hard to get to pattern, the slower loads are real easy to find a choke combo for, so I stick with them.

The fast loads require dedication, it isn't something you can just load and shoot, it takes alot of time on the pattern board to find the perfect choke combo, and when you change lot numbers on powder, you basically start all over again.

I have loaded Alliant Steel lot 11, lot 12, and lot 14 and each one changed my patterns, so if you plan to go the fast route be prepared to spend time at the board.

I am not saying the LS manual is fool proof, I am saying the slower loads are easier to make work, and the fast loads require a higher level of dedication. So take that into consideration.

here in texas they use a point system as limits. you are allowed 100 points. mud ducks are 10 points, drake mallards are 30 points, hen mallards are 90 points, and not that you would ever see one but, canvasbacks are 120 points. i love to hunt them but wont eat one at gun point. they taste like liver to me, and man i HATE liver. what i shoot i give to my mom, she loves em. she says to bake em in the oven like you would a small turkey.:p

i wasnt thinking about all the southern and western states when i made the first post.

up here in the north east we use lead shot for hunting everything except waterfowl because they are federally governed.

for our doves and grouse or whatever other game birds i might hunt it will be lead shot.

so the steel loads are going to be strictly ducks and geese consisting of basically mallards , woodies , and canadians rarely there are some other species of ducky around this area.

naa ! i dont think i will ever shoot #6 or #7 1/2 shot at a duck as long as i know what shot i have in the shells i am shooting.

you are true in one small portion of your statement that it does require less energy to penetrate a 6 shot the same distance as a 4

but a 4 shot pellet will have more energy at the same distance inherantly due to mass also the air resistance will have slowed the#4 less than the 6 in the same distance.

i have killed close to 300 ducks in my life.all but maybe 3 were brought down with #6 or #7 1/2. fact is larger shot carries a bit more energy at the same range as small shot, but not because it faster, its because its heavier. and larger shot is in fact slowed down more by wind resistance due the larger surface area.not to mention #7 1/2 has nearly twice as many pellets in a load of 1 1/4oz than #4. if you drop a quarter size and a dime size marble off a 1000 ft building. the dime size marble will reach the bottom first. this is not theory, its fact.but shoot what you like. i do.

• 4 weeks later...

Right on the mark reneckhunter, #2's are our bread and butter for most of the season. This weekend is our opener up North where most of the birds are Wood ducks, so can get by with 4's but 2's and BB or even BBB on geese work real well.

Unless your ground swatting in the decoys, using lead shot, or heavy non tox I cant see 7 1/2 shot being all too effective for anything other than clay birds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...