M4 extractor removal

ERdept

• 1 year later...

1. Select the "extractor pin hole" that is the most rear from the bolt face.

2. With a 3 mm punch & small hammer, gently drive the pin into the bolt until it stops. (The punch should now be in contact with the extractor).

3. Remove the 3 mm punch and insert a 1.4mm punch. After hitting bottom tilt the punch at about a 30-degree angle "towards the bolt face" (as if to "hit" the "other hole"). You are trying to hit the pin, not the extractor. Slightly depress the extractor and g-e-n-t-l-y tap the punch.

4. When properly aligned (you will have to get the feel), the smaller 1.4 mm punch will move the pin enough to release the extractor.

I have no idea why this pin is designed this way. Presumably to prevent the pin from working it's way out. This does not explain how the pin can pass through without becoming bent.

Does anyone have an idea about this?

I removed mine by using a small punch (I think the poster above me has the correct size) and pounding gently until the pin cleared the extractor. The punch bent. It seems that this was necessary.

Why are you removing the extractor? Also, be VERY careful with this, you don't want to ding up the end of the roll-pin or things will suck.

I agree totally: If it's working properly, leave it alone. The extractor removal was done as a training demo in a train the trainer type class.

I was so engrosssed in the training that I failed to ask the obvious question: Why is this thing designed like this??

Does anyone have an official "reason" for this design?

Thanks

I agree totally: If it's working properly, leave it alone. The extractor removal was done as a training demo in a train the trainer type class.

I was so engrosssed in the training that I failed to ask the obvious question: Why is this thing designed like this??

Does anyone have an official "reason" for this design?

Thanks

I have no clue why, but it works.