M4 mag tube removal

rickp1

Hey guys,

I need to replace the mag tube on an M4 but I cant seem to get the thing to turn. Any recommendations?

Thanks

R.

They put Loc-tite on at the factory so...

1) Get a heatgun & some work gloves

2) Turn the heat gun on high, & aim at the receiver/mag tube for about 7 - 10 minutes.

3) Let it cool for a few minutes and turn the mag tube.

PRESTO!!

I removed mine with a $22 heat-gun (750 and 1,000*F options) from Wal-Mart. I heated the reciever by holding the gun 2-3" from where the tube joined it (heat the reciever, not the tube). I heated it by moving the gun around, evenly heating around the area for a 3-5 minutes. THen I wrapped the reciever in a pair of boxers (what I had laying around on the floor) and used my knee to pin it to the seat of my computer desk chair and with my hands I turned the tube. IT moved VERY LITTLE, but at that point I knew I had won. I just kept heating and immediately turning until it stopped and then repeating until I got it. You don't need a vice or anything crazy, just some juevos and some patients. Above all, when working on firearms/cars/computers, PATIENTS!

Dont heat the tube. This will only cause it to expand.

Heat the receiver. It does not take much. Maybe 2-3 min with a heatgun.

After that. I was able to unscrew the stock tube with very little effort.

Also, have your new tube handy, and screw it in while the receiver and loc-tite is still warm. Firm hand tight will be fine. Once it cools back down, its not going anywhere.

Hey ERdept, I work in Cerritos....

As for the loctight, I took mine off with no heat, just used a wood block to make a small wrench and turned it off, I didi not like the adding of HEAT... I have done 2 this way with no issues. once the seal is broken, they just turn out no issue. I dont belive any lub is needed or would help. The locktight is military GREEN.

Hey ERdept, I work in Cerritos....

As for the loctight, I took mine off with no heat, just used a wood block to make a small wrench and turned it off, I didi not like the adding of HEAT... I have done 2 this way with no issues. once the seal is broken, they just turn out no issue. I dont belive any lub is needed or would help. The locktight is military GREEN.

Well you know what range is here in Cerritos?!?!?

Insight range! They now sell high power 12ga.

I'm wondering if the heavy cloth plumbers strap wrench will work as well?

I too am reluctant to apply heat to any part of the gun.