M4 FTF

Unobtanium

Well, I have the SRM follower and M4 2 round extension 33" spring and a Numrich tube. During part of my shooting session today the shell failed to eject from the mag-tube all the way onto the follower. The action jammed with the bolt all the way back as though it were empty. The jam could be simulated (if you want to know what I mean) by loading 1 round in your tube, and pressing the carrier a LITTLE BIT and then pressing the shell release. This would effect an identical jam to what I had.

Observations: SRM follower does not protrude as far into the reciever as the M4 stock one. This may cause the shell to be not getting kicked out of the tube as far.

I could get the same jams while just cycling it in my room.

The jamming went away as sudden as it began.

It seemed more prominant with 3" shells than the 2-3/4".

I am replacing my SRM follower with the stock one.

Could the spring be too weak? I doubt it, it is a new +2 SRM spring...

Ideas/Thoughts?

I am thinking SRM follower right now...

(happens only on the last round)

Good to know. I have one failure during the 50 round first fire.

I just chocked it up to the gun being new and needing more rounds through it. But I did have the SRM follower and the 2 shot extension.

I changed my follow back to the Benelli one.

Good to know. I have one failure during the 50 round first fire.

I just chocked it up to the gun being new and needing more rounds through it. But I did have the SRM follower and the 2 shot extension.

I changed my follow back to the Benelli one.

Looks like I am not the only one, was your FTF the same as I described?

Heh,

As I've said many times here, I had a dozen or so failures to fire/load/eject during my first 200 rounds. I expected it to a degree, and kept shooting ... after 200 rounds, all problems ceased to exist, and they have yet to resurface ... ever.

That being said, I don't understand why people are swapping out perfectly good factory parts with aftermarket parts that offer no tangible advantage, and in many cases just seem to cause problems, like we see here.

Keep the stock follower in, shoot a bunch more rounds, and report back after 200 or so have been fired without problem.

Heh,

As I've said many times here, I had a dozen or so failures to fire/load/eject during my first 200 rounds. I expected it to a degree, and kept shooting ... after 200 rounds, all problems ceased to exist, and they have yet to resurface ... ever.

That being said, I don't understand why people are swapping out perfectly good factory parts with aftermarket parts that offer no tangible advantage, and in many cases just seem to cause problems, like we see here.

Keep the stock follower in, shoot a bunch more rounds, and report back after 200 or so have been fired without problem.

I pulled out all the SRM stuff. The SRM spring had about 1/2# less tension on the last round than did the stocker. I also put the stock follower back in. I am going shooting later today, we will see. I expect it to be flawless though.

As I have said before. I sell the US Made full length tubes and I always recommend using the factory spring as that is what it was designed for. As long as the aftermarket follower you are using is the same exact shape and has same dimensions as the factory follower you should be fine.

Also, when I manufacture my tubes, I keep a very specific tight tolerance on the receiver end of the tube so that it screws in and locks up tight to the receiver where the shells pop out. Some tubes I have seen including some factory 5 shot tubes leave a little gap between the end of the tube and the inside of the receiver, a big no-no.

I tried to use the factory spring on your tube SOCOMguy, I am not sure if the spring was wore out, or what, but it was too weak to push the last round out and was also causing a FTF situation. I replaced it with a surecycle spring and have had no problems since. Not contradicting you by any means, the factory spring just didn't work for me is all.

I am going to look into the M1 S90 spring from E-guns. It is meant for a factory 5+1 rifle and has a different part number. WE will see if it works better. My FTE's were a LOT better with the stock spring/follower. Only when I was shooting some hot 3" stuff did it occur. I think the action was moving too fast for the mag spring to keep up then.