Does it save money to reload 12 gauge

Novaking

I've kinda done the math and I can't justify reloading 12 gauge. walmart sells them almost as cheap. My ruff math is on 1 1/8 loads. Walmart sell 100 rounds of 1 1/8 3 dram for 20.89. Is my math wrong? I reload all my pistol and rifle ammo and there is a big price differance.

little help please

Novaking

I have been reloding shells for 10yrs now and there used to be a huge difference but now with the price of shells its not as great. Now we load 1 1/8 heavy field loads for the price that you buy cheap wally world shells. The main thing with reloding is the quality. You can make any kind of load that you want. If You just plan on using them for targets I would stick with wally world shells.

this is true.your time is the biggest factor.a mec 600jr like i have takes around 1-1/2 hours to reload 100 rounds. a progressive loader is a lot faster and a whole lot more expensive as well.one that basicly completes a round every time you pull the handle down. i look at as more of a hobby anymore, than saving money. its something you have to enjoy doing or you will get tired of it quik. ive seen a lot of folks spend big money on reloaders, and get burnt out it in a year.hers the math as best i can figure...30lbs of shot $45.00- reloads 480 rnds @ 1oz, 1lb of powder$20.00-will load around 500rnds give or take,250wads$8.00 x 2, 100 primers $3.50 x5. that comes to $98.50 for 500rnds. roughly-$3.94 per box or $15.76 per 100. prices on components may vary some but this the best break down i give you. kinda makes you want go to wally world, huh??;)

atleast if you load your own shells you know exactly what your shooting and you can taylor a load for a better pattern or more pellets if need be.

you can figure on some savings over buying all your shells new but if your just gunna shoot 100 rds a yr than no way is it cheaper to just go to the store for a bx.

It depends.

If you shoot A LOT, you can save money. As noted above, if you shoot occasionally, or if you just hunt, its not worth the cost of the reloader.

BUT, you need to enjoy doing it, and you need to want to spend your time at it to make it worthwhile.

As said above, you can use your own recipes for loads that are not commercially or commonly available.

Absolutely, positively, get a good reloading manual, like Lyman's, and read it cover to cover twice, before you load one shell.

Absolutely, positively, do not use any load that is not in a published powder manufacturer's table. That's asking for a blown-up barrel.

Absolutely, positively, get a good scale and actually weigh several powder charges before you load up a bunch of shells to make sure the bushing you choose is throwing the charge you want. The bushing charts are NOT ACCURATE!!!

I really like Remington hulls (STS, Nitro, and Gun Club), Hodgdon powders (I personally know Chris Hodgdon, and he's a great guy, and they have great products) and Downrange Wads (I also know Kevin Lewis of Downrange, another great guy, and a company with great products.)

For skeet and 16-yard trap, just about any brand of shot will do.

If you shoot handicap trap from beyond the 23-yard-line, I strongly recommend the good shot, like Remington magnum shot (magnum shot has more alloying antimony to make the shot harder, which tends to make patterns more dense.)

I use an old Hornady 366 progressive, and I really like it. I have several others. MEC 600 Jr.'s in both 28 gauge and .410. The MEC 9000G progressive is a great machine too.

Do it as a sub-hobby of your shooting hobby, and only if you enjoy doing it.

If not, don't waste your time...buy factory shells.

Your mileage may vary.

Tim

BTW, in order to make it cost effective, you need to buy in bulk. That means buying 5000 primers, 5000 wads, 8 lb of powder, or 500 lb of shot at a time.

And don't buy from stores like Cabela's. You'll get ripped for price.

You need to be selective, and buy at gun clubs or from online stores with good prices for large quanitities.

just to add to what you said. when your using one type of powder ,say alliant green dot, and you switch to say alliant 2400. the same bushing will weigh powders of different densitys differently.finer powders weigh heavier. so when or if you change to another recipe be sure to weigh the charge. i like hogdon powders too, but i also like alliant green dot [slow burning,produces low pressures, less recoil] and red dot,[high pressures for magnum loads] the colored dots make them easy to identify too. i would say you will always save money reloading even if its only 150-200 rnds a year. but if your only going to reload 50- 100 rnds a year , dont go buy a $450.00 press. a mec 600jr runs around $130.00 and works very well.thats better for a beginer. less to try to keep up with is a good thing. and i agree with tim, NEVER UP THE CHARGE, thinking your going to invent a new COOL load. the only thing you will accomplish is the purchase of a COOl new seeing eye dog.STICK TO THE DATA have fun and be safe!!

yep. instead of saving $5.00 per 100, you will save $100.00 per 1000. i have bought bulk supplies through the internet, buy the time you pay s/h and insurance , theres really not all that much diffrence. most of the "GUN" stores around ft. worth are nearly twice as high as cabellas. i usually come out pretty good there.buying shot and wads is ok in bulk, but i prefer to get powder and primers in small quanitys.