Best shotgun for beginner?

Shotguns "R" us

im a truck driver. i got pulled over a few weeks ago by DPS/DOT, and wieghed. i was over wieght ,so he had me set in his dodge pickup while he wrote my company the ticket, when i looked up i noticed a rack on the ceiling. it had a DPMS panther 308,a Ruger mini-14, and a Remington 870.i asked if he was getting ready for a war. he said you never know.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Novaking,

Dove hunting like that puts a lot of stress on any gun. Not many pass that test.

As I recall, most folks who use semi-auto's on those trips use Beretta 391's. Great gun.

Nothing wrong with a 391. The few guys I know that went to mexico uses m2.

I know that there really isn't a problem with 1100 or 1187's and there not the bottom of the barrel. Just the things I've seen and heard, I just can't own one.

Everyone has there favorite gun. I don't own a auto, but I would like to have one. I've shot many auto. I've shot an 1187. I liked the way it shot. I've shot many Benelli's. Love them to. Believe it your not but what you hear and see will keep you (me) from trying something for myself. And what I heard and seen is a lot of 1187 guys have problems with there guns. Maybe there not cleaning them right. I don't know all the details.

Novaking

Nothing wrong with a 391. The few guys I know that went to mexico uses m2.

I know that there really isn't a problem with 1100 or 1187's and there not the bottom of the barrel. Just the things I've seen and heard, I just can't own one.

Everyone has there favorite gun. I don't own a auto, but I would like to have one. I've shot many auto. I've shot an 1187. I liked the way it shot. I've shot many Benelli's. Love them to. Believe it your not but what you hear and see will keep you (me) from trying something for myself. And what I heard and seen is a lot of 1187 guys have problems with there guns. Maybe there not cleaning them right. I don't know all the details.

Novaking

I had a 1187 SP back in the early 90's that was a POS jammatic. I still think that the Rem. 870 Wingmaster is one of the classic shotguns of all time though. I won't buy one with a IL though.

I'm with Timb99... I can't speak for the 1187's but I started shooting with an inherited 870 Wingmaster and graduated to an 1100. My Son and I have pounded tons of rounds through those gun's (slug & shot). I learned my lessons on the proper way to clean & maintain these guns. You should be able to come across some pretty good deals this time of year with people trading up to Benelli's :) Get to know your gun INSIDE and OUT and only use premium solvents and lubricants. Before you know it you'll be out in the field loving every minute of it. As far as the guy who bought a Mossberg and never cleaned it for 25 years... Well let's just say it was a match made in heaven.

I had a 1187 SP back in the early 90's that was a POS jammatic. I still think that the Rem. 870 Wingmaster is one of the classic shotguns of all time though. I won't buy one with a IL though.

I have heard nothing bad about the 870 wingmasters. The wingmasters and the 870 express are to different guns.

yas sir. my Charles Daly[7 1/4lbs] 28" barrel with 3" mags stomps the crap outa me. i dont [ cant ] stand to shoot but 8 or 10 before a cry "freakin uncle". it kicks harder than my 7mm mag. but to tell you the truth my Franchi AL-48 20ga w/26"i/c barrel [5lbs10oz] with hi-velocity duck and pheasent loads kicks harder than the C/D does.

• 4 months later...

I own many shotguns including 2 Benelli's and if your money is tight I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Mossberg 500 combo (2 barrels). My brother got one almost 30 years ago when their quality control was non-existant. The pump wouldn't slide and it rattled like crazy. I had to smooth out some burrs and a couple of rough tools marks and gave it back to my brother. He shoots it all the time and then tosses that old 500 into his closet. I don't believe he has ever cleaned or oiled it. Nothings seems to stop that old Mossberg. After 30 years it still rattles a lot, but works smoothly and completely. My brother is brutal on tools and the fact his Mossberg still works at all is a miracle.

I have heard nothing bad about the 870 wingmasters. The wingmasters and the 870 express are to different guns.

Like I said, the 870 Wingmaster, or the Express with the birch stock and cheap finish, is bulletproof. Mossy 500 are in the same category. I happen to like the 870 better from personal preference and familiarity only.

I won't buy any gun with an IL (Internal Lock) and the new 870's come with this piece of crap. I don't trust the IL's for any gun that I might use to defend my life or my family. A good 870 can be had for 200-250. or so used. Like so many firearms- older is probably better. I love the old 50's 870 with the 2 3/4" receivers. They are a shorter receiver and handle like a dream. I then stick a vent rib barrel cut to 25" and choked with ext. forcing cones (the same length as the .410/28 ga and put on a modern 870 forearm (available on eGay) for one of the best handling shotguns out there IMO.

I used to go shoot sporting clays with guys with 5-7k shotguns and beat the pants off them. They failed to see any humor in getting beat with an 870. I like the fact that you can shoot really reduced loads with a pump, just like an O/U (28gram 12 gauge).

• 11 years later...

I started with a Super Nova a few months ago. I bought a field version and bought accessories so i can set it up for defense. I started using it for Trap. It is a little heavy but its a great shotgun. Then I bought a much more expensive Ethos Sport. I  get about the same scores. :)

My friend has a Winchester SXP. They are a little less expensive than the Benellis. It works great too.

There are no Benelli semi-autos for under $1000. Go with a pump. They are simple and reliable.