Best shotgun for beginner?

Shotguns "R" us

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If thats the case (other guns like autos and pumps) I just bought my son a Mossberg 500 Bantam COMBO. It came with 2 barrels one for fowl and buckshot or whatever you spray shot at. The other is a ported slug barrel. Got it for him NEW for 300.00...with tax 350.00. Its awsome and Mossberg in my opinion is starting to show some nice guns for the AVERAGE hunter/shooter. The NEW 4x4 Rifles look sweet too!!! Check them out.

best is a tricky word. my wifes Fausti o/u is a very nice little shot gun. i paid $399.00 for it a couple of years ago @ wal-mart. was looking on gunbroker a few days ago and could not find one for less than $800.00. mossberg silver reserves are nice but they run around $600.00. C/D o/us run around $500.00 and up. are you wanting a o/u or would an auto work? Charles Daly auto,s run about $280.00. i have one that i love. i will warn you though, they kick like a mule till you get them broke in. i have a pic of mine in the Franchi forum under "my babies".

I'm looking for my first 12 ga. shotgun under $400. It'll be mostly used for clays and MAYBE hunting. I like the benelli stf 3000 o/u, but I also like the stoeger 2000 which is a little more than the stf 3000. If there are other shotguns that I might want to look into please lemme know.

Go with a Remingon 870 and despite what other people say I think for the same price Mossbergs are crap

best is a tricky word. my wifes Fausti o/u is a very nice little shot gun. i paid $399.00 for it a couple of years ago @ wal-mart. was looking on gunbroker a few days ago and could not find one for less than $800.00. mossberg silver reserves are nice but they run around $600.00. C/D o/us run around $500.00 and up. are you wanting a o/u or would an auto work? Charles Daly auto,s run about $280.00. i have one that i love. i will warn you though, they kick like a mule till you get them broke in. i have a pic of mine in the Franchi forum under "my babies".

An auto is what im really looking for, i really like the stoeger 2000 especially because of the inertia driven system, I've never really heard of charle Day and I'm not sure if I want to buy something that I don't know a whole lot about........

Autos(good autos) are hard to come by at that price. You can get a OK O/U or a nice pump for that price range.

Did you say this is your first gun? I don't remember. Nova's are great guns. They come in Nova or Supernova and there are tons of ways you can get them. What are you using the gun for? I have 2 Novas and a super nova and I use them just for hunting. They are tanks.

For clays I use my remmington spr O/U. Ok gun but I seem to shoot it pretty well.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Novaking

Go with a Remingon 870 and despite what other people say I think for the same price Mossbergs are crap
I never said mossberg was better or worse than Rem. 870. The 870 is the toughest gun out there in my opinion. I bought a benelli because I could afford it thats the only reason. But it'll never see the buckshot that my 870 supermagnum shoots. The 870 is tough as ****.

"police forces use Remington 870s & Mossberg 500s. what does that tell you??"

They also use Ithaca 37's and Winchester 1300's. What does THAT tell you? Tells me they do public bidding process and buy the one that gives them the best price...

MOST pump guns work fine.

Possibly the best one is the old Winchster Model 12, which hasn't been made for many years.

The 870 is a great gun, but so are the others mentioned above. Mossberg has great warranty service, plus they're easy to fix yoursalf.

A friend of mine abused hiw Mossberg 500 for about 25 years (he said he had never cleaned it, not even once), then, when I noticed his trigger group was hanging out of the receiver partially (gun still worked) he gave it to me. I cleaned if and repaired it (for about $100) and gave it back to him, in near-new condition.

Shotguns R Us,

If you are looking for a good quality semi-auto for a low dollar price, go to gunbroker.com, and get a used Remington 1100 or 1187 and have a gunsmith give it a good cleaning and once-over when you get it.

You can get one for about $350 or $400.

Well, if you ever plan on going tactical for another shotgun, don't get the SuperNova 18.5" if you don't like a good kick, especially with a 3" slug. Given i'm small, i realize someone of a bigger stature probably wouldn't mind the kick as much as a small framed person.

- Even tho it has a good kick i have the Comfor-tech stock, which helps tremendously. I could shoot with that all day long, and only be decently sore the next day.

no offense to you, but I've heard that new remmingtons are crap

none taken =) my 1187sps has had thousands of rounds through it from crap target ammo to 3" 00 buck...its fired in freezing weather as well as rain...I still would never buy a mossberg. Where have you heard about the new remingtons?

Autos(good autos) are hard to come by at that price. You can get a OK O/U or a nice pump for that price range.

Did you say this is your first gun? I don't remember. Nova's are great guns. They come in Nova or Supernova and there are tons of ways you can get them. What are you using the gun for? I have 2 Novas and a super nova and I use them just for hunting. They are tanks.

For clays I use my remmington spr O/U. Ok gun but I seem to shoot it pretty well.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Novaking

im mainly gonna use the gun for clay shooting, and i have a little mossberg .22 which i love :D, i do like the nova but its a little steep on the price for a pump, i know its pretty much the best of the best, but as i said i have a $400 limit. also I do like the new remmington semis and o/u just not the pump