Best shotgun for beginner?

Shotguns "R" us

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cz has a shotgun under 4 bills. really?

ask splash about his daly. He loves it. I had a daly pump. Liked the feel, look, and weight. Just had a little trouble with it, got it fixed and sold it to my dad. It works good for him.

P.S My 2 nova's I bought for under 300 dollars. A magnum 870 will cost you that. My supernova was 468.00

Novaking

novaking

yeah, the cz shotgun is called a 712 autoloader i think, I saw a new one on gunsamerica.com for $350 new in box. gas operated, not inertia driven but hey, an autoloaders and autoloader! also would you use a nova for clays/ the guy at dicks says pumps arent so good for clays cuz u have to reset yourself everytime you shoot because of the pumping action

Has anyone heard of anything about charles daly or cz shotguns? both have autoloaders unde $400 but im not too sure since, from what i know, neither are huge companies like benelli, stoeger, mossberg, or remmington

Check a new auto Daly..If they have solved that little O-ring problem that should be your best bet. I saw a few old Wingmasters on GunBroke I would love to have. I don't know about getting an older or used 1187 or 1100. NO WARRANTY!!

When autos start jamming...Some of them don't stop jamming with just a good cleaning. I think every one on the sight knows that.

Your the second and only the second person I've heard say that.

Ya my 1187 has been through 4 or 5 hunting seasons never rusted or failed to fire or feed...maybe because its the special purpose synthetic model? I might throw a hastings barell and a scope on it, turn it into a slug gun one day. I love my SBII 24" black, it always turns heads when im in the field...its like rolling into a bar with a nice piece of ass under your arm lol

a friend of mine got himself a Charles Daly about 5weeks ago.went to the store and bought several boxs of Remington 3" mag 00 buck. he shot the first box with no problems. on the second box, the first round got lodged in the ejector port. he wrestled it out. the same thing happened on the second shot out of that box.i was doing my own thing with my 44 so i really wasnt paying attention to him. but i did notice that these sounded a lot louder than the box before. i went to where he was and looked at the box and noticed this on the box...."3 1/2 magnum". not good. the 3rd box was right so he busted off another shot.it jammed, the ejector pin was now broke. he called KBI [the manufacturer], and told them what he did and told them to let him know what the cost of repair would be. they sent him a postage paid UPS label to send it back to them. he got it back 3 weeks later, not only did they replace the ejector pin, but also put a new barrel on it at no cost to him just to be safe. now there are not many places that would do that knowing it was your own "dumb mistake". i would have to say FANTASTIC CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

CZ no longer sells the semi-auto. I know several of the people with CZ-USA, including their president, Alice Poluchova. They dropped the semi-auto line because they found it was unreliable.

Their break action shotguns are all made by Huglu in Turkey, and I think they are good quality, in between the low dollar entry guns and the better guns like Browning and Beretta.

I have not heard much about the Charles Daly guns, but what I have heard is not so great.

If you get a Charles Daly break action gun made in the 70's, you're getting an excellent quality gun, probably made by Miroku in Japan (who also makes the Browning Citori.)

I believe the issue with Remingtons rusting is their entry level guns are all matte finish, not blued. The matte finish is not as durable as bluing, and they have been known to rust.

DO NOT STORE YOUR GUNS IN A SOFT GUN CASE. They attract moisture and will cause rust, just sitting in your closet.

On the 1100's and 1187's, I guarantee my daughter has put more rounds through that gun in the last 5 years than most of you will ever put through your guns. She shot in the SCTP trap shooting program, and now shoots on the Kansas State University trap shooting team. There's a learning curve with the 1100 guns. Yes, they break, but the good thing is they are really easy to fix. Kinda the "chevy small block" of shotguns. Shooting Sports Magazine sells an 1100/1187 repair parts kit for about $65 that has all the parts that might need to be repaired, and all of them can be replaced in a duck blind. If you keep a new o-ring in them, and know the "tricks", they'll last well into your grandkids lifetime.

CZ no longer sells the semi-auto. I know several of the people with CZ-USA, including their president, Alice Poluchova. They dropped the semi-auto line because they found it was unreliable.

Their break action shotguns are all made by Huglu in Turkey, and I think they are good quality, in between the low dollar entry gun sand the better guns like Browning and Beretta.

I have not heard much about the Charles Daly guns, but what I have heard is not so great.

If you get a Charles Daly break action gun made in the 70's, you're getting an excellent quality gun, probably made by Miroku in Japan (who also makes the Browning Citori.)

I beleive the issue with Remingtons rusting is their entry level guns are all matte finish, not blued. The matte finish is not as durable as bluing, and they have been known to rust.

DO NOT STORE YOUYR GUNS IN A SOFT GUN CASE. They attract moisture and will cause rust, just sitting in your closet.

On the 1100's and 1187's, I guarantee my daughter has put more rounds through that gun in the last 5 years than most of you will ever put through your guns. She shot in the SCTP trap shooting program, and now shoots on the Kansas State University trap shooting team. There's a learning curve with the 1100 guns. Yes, they break, but the good thing is they are really easy to fix. Kinda the "chevy small block" of shotguns. Shooting Sports Magazine sells an 1100/1187 repair parts kit for about $65 that has all the parts that might need to be repaired, and all of them can be replaced in a duck blind. If you keep a new o-ring in them, and know the "tricks", they'll last well into your grandkids lifetime.

Finally someone supporting 1187's being badass guns...as ive said I went through 5 hunting seasons wiht my 1187sps the gun has fired and worked perfectly in freezing weather,snow,and rain. As far as the rust goes, it never did maybe its because after the field i properly clean and store my firearm. I know alot of people say the new ones rust, maybe they do, this gun is about 6 years old maybe the coating was different. I use a SBII now but cant part with this 1187 I wont sell it.

The down side to the 1100 is you have to keep the gas action clean for them to cycle reliably.

With my daughter's 1100, I do a thorough cleaning (literally, taking everything apart except the little parts integral to the trigger group) about every 400 to 500 shots. Which, in her case, might be once a month.

The down side to the 1100 is you have to keep the gas action clean for them to cycle reliably.

With my daughter's 1100, I do a thorough cleaning (literally, taking everything apart except the little parts integral to the trigger group) about every 400 to 500 shots. Which, in her case, might be once a month.

Are you using CLP?

mossberg semi autos are the bottom of the barrel. i have talked to many stores including cabelas and bass pro and they all say the same. the mossberg 500s are a decent pump but my self and others that i shoot with would chose an 870, nova, or a stoeger pump gun if we had to chose but the 500s would not be my first choice

Finally someone supporting 1187's being badass guns...as ive said I went through 5 hunting seasons wiht my 1187sps the gun has fired and worked perfectly in freezing weather,snow,and rain. As far as the rust goes, it never did maybe its because after the field i properly clean and store my firearm. I know alot of people say the new ones rust, maybe they do, this gun is about 6 years old maybe the coating was different. I use a SBII now but cant part with this 1187 I wont sell it.

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST 1187s its just that they cost so @#$& much, well....... at least for me

I have a friend that when down to mexico to dove hunt and took 3 1187's and came back with zero 1187's. melted all 3 down. I another guy I know as a 1187 and trashs the gun ( doesn't clean it, use wd-40 in the action and the gun runs great. There kinda hit or miss. ( from what I've seen and heard)

Novaking

Shotguns R Us

Saw an ad recently at Cabela's (maybe Bass Pro) for a matte finish synthetic 1187 Sportsman model, for $550.

You can get them used off gunbroker.com for probably $400 or less. That's how I got my daughter's 1100. Its still going strong.

In fact, last night she texted me..at her first trap team practice of the school year, all the western Kansas country boys on the team were a little miffed that the city-girl pincess whupped them.

Tim

Shotguns R Us

Saw an ad recently at Cabela's (maybe Bass Pro) for a matte finish synthetic 1187 Sportsman model, for $550.

You can get them used off gunbroker.com for probably $400 or less. That's how I got my daughter's 1100. Its still going strong.

In fact, last night she texted me..at her first trap team practice of the school year, all the western Kansas country boys on the team were a little miffed that the city-girl pincess whupped them.

Tim

ok thanks, do you know the difference between the 1100 and the 1187?

Not much.

The 1187 has a stainless steel magazine tube, and the bolt has a larger (wider) ejector hook than the 1100.

The big difference is the 1187 has a pressure compensated gas system that allows it to cycle heavy loads down to light target loads. The 1100 didn't have that system.

Besides that, its virtually the same action internally.