Need a good quality OU Sport Clay/Birding Gun

dirtylincoln

The varieties are endless. The prices are endless. I just got into sporting clays and love em. Until I am head over heels in love, I just want a good reliable O/U 12ga. in the $1,000 range. Now I see that Stoeger has a gun in the $700. range for new. I held one at a local shop. Thought it was pretty nice considering the competition at $1200 and up.

My question is would these be good guns for your seasoned hunter and mid level sporting clay shooter?

Thanks

I have a remington spartian spr 310 o/u. This is not a premium o/u by any means. It will run you about 399 to 450. Did I like the gun at first. NO. do I like after about a 1000 rounds. YES.

I've had the gun for about 2 years now and the first year I did nothing to it. stock gun. The second year I put a set of carlsons extented chokes and Tom Knapps easy hit site. This made a big differance with the patterning and my sight picture.

I have had zero problems with the gun. I'm up to average 23 on the skeet field (in 4 months) and I shoot in the 90's out of 100 on sporting clays.

novaking

You cannot go wrong with a used Browning Citori.

You should be able to get one in that price range.

Excellent quality guns, and any gunsmith worth a darn knows how to fix them.

In the short run, the Stoeger O/U may look good, but it is not time tested like the Citori.

What ever you do dont go on the cheap and buy an off brand like the Stoeger if you going to shoot a lot and have a passion for what your doing. Like Timb99 said you cannot go wrong with a used Citori, and it should fall within your spending limit. You should find some nice used guns in the 1K range but stick to the big boys like Browning, Berretta, Remington ect..... Find the one that fits the best and shoot it.

This is a tough one...one gun being more of a sporting gun and another being more for hunting. What's even tougher is you mention a "birding" gun as opposed to specifying what kind of birds.

Generally speaking, sporting clay guns are a bit heavier. A heavier gun will help you to swing and follow through a bit more - that's what a gun designed for shooting sporting clays is about.

On the other hand, a "birding" gun should be a little more specific to the type of hunting you want to do. For upland game, a lighter gun is more desirable because you're going to be walking quite a bit with a gun in your arms. For duck hunting, a heavier gun is more desirable because you're probably going to be making longer shots that require more velocity (longer barrel), will help you with your follow through, and that will dampen some of the heavier recoil loads.

It depends a lot on what you want to do with it. If you're primarily a hunter, then shooting clays with a hunting gun will only benefit you in the field. If you're primarily shooting clays, then get a target gun.

It all depends on what you want to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Agreed but are you dead-set against an autoloader? The BenelliSuperSport was designed as a dedicated sporting clays gun.

I have to agree with Banjo MD, the Super Sport is a great gun for Sporting an hunting in 12 or 20. Cryo treated chokes and barrels, good trigger and comfort tech stock is adjustable including cheek piece and butt pad for LOP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have to agree with Banjo MD, the Super Sport is a great gun for Sporting an hunting in 12 or 20. Cryo treated chokes and barrels, good trigger and comfort tech stock is adjustable including cheek piece and butt pad for LOP.

Have you guys tried both available barrel lengths on the supersport and have any thoughts/comments? It looks and feels like a great gun and I am thinking of purchasing one this week. I would like to use it as a one-quiver shotgun and enjoy hunting but will probably spent most of my time during the year on the range doing a combination of trap/skeet/five-stand shooting...