First Post with M3 Question

Keith1863

So I took out my Benelli M3 for the first time the other day. I got it used for a song. I got to the range and prepared to load the tube mag to capacity and found I could only insert 2 shells. I thought this was strange and unloaded the firearm and started unscrewing the end of the tube mag. Well I was not expecting the force behind the spring and the mag limiter and other parts shot out into the grass behind the firing line. Stupid.

Anyway, I think I recovered all the parts. Now I am trying to reassemble the tube magazine, spring and limiter. The manual doesn't show the same parts that I have. I went to Brownell's and some other sites to look at exploded parts diagrams - not much help either.

So in a last ditch effort I am trying to upload 3 photos to the forum to let some of you guys see how I put it back together and see if you guys think it's right...but I can't upload photos. Can anybody help me out with this one?

Thanks,

Keith

I have a Benelli M3 with the one peice mag tube. Not quite shure about yours or how it works for the limiter. On my one peice tube the end of the tube is crimped with a retainer plug that has a hole in it for the limiter to slide in on. if all the parts are the same you should have your spring. a spring retainer. which should look like a cap of some sort with a hole in the center for the limiter. Your limiter. and then the limiter retainer. which is round with two flat ends. and a hole in the center with a lip for your fingers. i will some photos up for you.

Jesse

Alrighty, we will start out with the magazine retainer. which on mine is held in the magazine tube by the crimp in the tube. BarrelPlug.jpg The magazine limiter will slide in the hole on the spring retainer and push the retainer down where the limiter has the E clip installed at. DSC00297.jpg Next is the limiter retainer ring. not shure if the short magazine tube has this or not also. http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/Rabbit-Slayer/Benelli/DSC00298.jpg This is what keeps the limiter inside the magazine tube. In order to install it you need to put the plug in and then put this on top the plug and push down one end first and then the second end in. In order to remove you need to push down on it. hook your finger under the lip and tip it at about a 45 degree angle to remove it. Once installed it should look like this http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/Rabbit-Slayer/Benelli/DSC00299.jpg I am assuming that the shorter magazine tube is set up similer to what my 7 round tube is.

Jesse. any other questions feel free to ask

Jesse -

Thanks so much for the quick response and perfect description. I finally understand what that little piece is for...so you don't have to unscrew the cap every time you want to install or uninstall the magazine limiter. That is a slick little piece of engineering. Thanks again you have helped me out a ton. I thought for sure I had lost something in the weeds, but all the parts were there I just had them in the wrong order. It works perfectly now. I seriously would not have been able to fix it at home without your help.

Thanks again,

Keith

This is from the Indiana DNR sight for hunting with a shotgun

"With a shotgun capable of holding more

than three shells, unless it is plugged with a

one-piece filler which is incapable of being

removed without disassembling the gun."

Now. i am not shure how to read it. would taking the plug retainer out be consitered "disassembling the gun" in order to make my shotgun legal to hunt with with the limiter in. or is it saying now that even thought i have the limiter in. i cant use it to hunt because i need to take the barrel and such off in order to remove the limiter. kinda tricky wording i think

Jesse