Is This a Flight Control Wad?

Unobtanium

I disected some OO Hornady FPD today. This is the wad. Is it flight control? THe load had 8 non-plated, non-buffered OO rounds in this cup. The buck appeared to have no hardening as I could easily mar it with my thumb-nail. It appeared smoother/rounder than the remington or winchester buck I have seen. The box says 1600fps.

inxw5g.jpg

No that is a Federal Ammo Trademark Product, they use their own in house wads which are not a flight control wad. their wads are not for resale and the 00 buck is 5% harder than regular lead!

Hrmm, I will pattern them and see what's up. It looks identical to the FC wad on Federal's site though.

probably is close but i called Hornaday and they said they do not use a flight control wad? They do look close!

The hornady's front "prongs" (I guess you call it that) are a BIT closer to the mouth of the shot cup. Other than that, they are IDENTICAL save for the color. I mean right down to haveing "12" on the inside of the base. Hornady basically changed the TDP a HAIR and doesn't advertise and so they can do it. That is my guess anyways, don't quote me on it though! Oh yeah, Hornady added 1 petal to the base and it looks like MAYBE reduced 1 petal on the front (3 instead of 4?)

ETA:

Nothing conclusive, but I took some regular Win Super X non-plated buck and compared it to this TAP stuff. When I pressed some sharp tweezers into the shot, it went about 2X as deep into the Super X as the TAP. Also, the SUper X is of a darker color. This seems to coraborate with HOG's statement about the antimony/hardened shot. From what I can see, my 8 boxes for $57 wasn't a bad deal for just stumbling onto it at the shop.

The hornady's front "prongs" (I guess you call it that) are a BIT closer to the mouth of the shot cup. Other than that, they are IDENTICAL save for the color. I mean right down to haveing "12" on the inside of the base. Hornady basically changed the TDP a HAIR and doesn't advertise and so they can do it. That is my guess anyways, don't quote me on it though! Oh yeah, Hornady added 1 petal to the base and it looks like MAYBE reduced 1 petal on the front (3 instead of 4?)

ETA:

Nothing conclusive, but I took some regular Win Super X non-plated buck and compared it to this TAP stuff. When I pressed some sharp tweezers into the shot, it went about 2X as deep into the Super X as the TAP. Also, the SUper X is of a darker color. This seems to coraborate with HOG's statement about the antimony/hardened shot. From what I can see, my 8 boxes for $57 wasn't a bad deal for just stumbling onto it at the shop.

Damn, I would go and buy it ALL for that price.