The 2008-2009 Waterfowl Photo Thread

tucker301

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a good three hours on the border of an uncut corn field and last year's cutover.

Plenty of ragweed around.

I had to pick my shots and make sure they fell within sight of me. Otherwise, they'd be nealry impossible to find.

Heck, one hit the ground and bounced in some laps at just 20 yards away, and it still took five minutes to find him.

No triples, but I got a couple of good doubles.

dove-opener.jpg

Unless local laws say otherwise, breast them out.

There's more meat on a daddy longlegs than there is on a dove's wings and legs combined.

The meat is dark and somewhat dry like duck.

Overcooking will result in that dreaded livery taste that nobody likes in wild game.

Here's the recipe I'm doing again tonight.

doves.jpg

Ingredients

8-10 Dove Breasts (or other dark fowl meat)

1 Tbsp Season Salt

1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

1 Tbsp Garlic Powder

1 Onion

Olive Oil

1/4 cup Worchestershire Sauce

1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar

Salt

Pepper

1 Uncle Ben's Oriental Fried Rice

1/4 cup Bourbon (optional)

Prep:

Combine Dry Mix Ingredients making sure brown sugar is thoroughly broken into powder.

Rinse and pat dry deboned dove fillets.

Pour Worchestershire and Balsamic Vinegar over dove breasts and let soak 10 minutes.

Remove breasts (save the marinade) and coat with the dry rub.

Dice Onion into medium sized pieces or cut into 1" strips.

Cook:

Begin preparing the rice per the instructions.

Coat the bottom of a medium skillet with olive oil and saute the onions until clear, adding salt and pepper to taste.

When the onions are clear, reduce the heat and add the leftover marinade to the onions and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.

Add the dove breasts and turn them in three minutes or so.

Continue to cook the mix until the onions have turned brown and tender.

Remove the pan from the heat and pour the bourbon over the doves and onions. Return to the heat and cook until you can no longer smell the alcohol.

The mix should reduce to a thin gravy consistency.

Plate:

Make a bed of the rice and cover it with the doves and onions.

garnish with parsley flakes or something like that.

Figure on about 4-5 doves per person.

I actually did a little different version last night and it turned out better than this one. easier too.

Marinate the doves in Newman's Sun Dried Tomato dressing for 3 hours. Use about an ounce per dove.

Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to allow them to temper.

Sautee one onion, a green pepper, and two cloves of chopped garlic in olive oil until the onions begin to brown, adding salt and pepper to taste.

Remove most, but not all of the onions and peppers and put aside.

Add 3-4 doves at a time and cook them for about one minute per side. Overcooking ruins them.

When all of the doves are cooked, place them on top of the rice in a serving dish and cover them with the cooked veggies.

Pour the leftover marinade into the pan and cook it down to about half of its original volume, scraping the skillet to get all the flavorful bits and pieces of caramelized onions etc.

Pour the thickened mixture over the doves and rice.

In Illinois, we would get a ticket on having all are dove together like that. That is 2 separate bags, which means can't be together.

Sucks right. Got to love IL.

nice hunt.

Novaking

I here ya. You're probably right.

During duck season I have a game carrier with all the necessary info on it. I would like to think they can see there are three limits of doves and three hunters, but that makes too much sense.

The beer was strictly a post hunt celebration and in very short order.

103???

low 40's tonight....