No Inertia Spring in M4 Bolt?

reblyell

Greetings! Just wondering if anyone can give me an engineering overview as to why the M4 bolt carrier does not have an inertia spring (Like the M2) inside, cushioning it and the bolt? It looks like a whole lot of slamming steel going on without it! Especially with the gas assistance. Just a thought . . . Best!

Greetings! Just wondering if anyone can give me an engineering overview as to why the M4 bolt carrier does not have an inertia spring (Like the M2) inside, cushioning it and the bolt? It looks like a whole lot of slamming steel going on without it! Especially with the gas assistance. Just a thought . . . Best!

Nah, it is just fine. Look at a 1911. Those have a lot of steel slamming around, and look further at the M16, a full-auto weapon with a steel carrier in an anodized aluminum upper flying around at 6-900rpm. It's just fine.

The M4 is not an "Inertia Driven" gun so it does not have an inertia spring; it is gas-operated.

I was under the impression that the M4 operated on the 'Inertia' concept like other Benelli semi-autos, and that the 'gas assist' was an addition to its design in order to enhance the reliability of its action. Thanks for the replys thus far folks! Best!