When is oil too much oil?

cordoba2008

After cleaning my Benelli Cordoba 20ga, I was wondering...how much oil is too much oil? What actually needs to be oiled?

A gun salesman said he used an entire bottle of oil in his Benelli 12ga and it sprayed oil all over him since he is a lefty.

Any thoughts?

I use CLP and I live in the south. To me oil is a rust preventative. What NEEDS oiling?

A light film on the mag spring to prevent rust, a light film on the recoil spring for same. A light film on the bolt base and a SLIGHT amount of RIG + P grease on the cam-pin. Also, some lube of some sort on the inside of the upper where the carrier cycles. Maybe a film of oil on the springs on the FCG to prevent rust and a bit of lube on the moving parts on the FCG to smooth the trigger pull.

The total amount of necessary oil involved for all the above operations, provided you do not spill any and apply it somehow with magic precision, would be about 1/4-1/2 of a thimble full.

I'm always amazed at how much stock people put into the "expertise" of the guys behind the Sporting Goods counter.

While it is true that some of them do know what they're talking about, there's a larger majority that are just working there because that's the place that hired them.

They don't go through any training, and there's not likely to be any firearms knowledge questions in their interview for the job.

Oil should always be used sparingly.

Never leave enough that it is visibly pooling or dripping.

Apply and wipe away excess, but do not wipe dry.

One other point, selling on their preference and trashing other makes of firearms. I had a guy tell me the Benelli was a POS and I really needed the new Winchester SX3. He completely ignored my saying I wanted a left-handed gun. He didn't get a commision from me.

i asked a guy at academy once to see a 17 HMR, he went to the high powered rifle section to look for one.heres a way to tell if they know there but from a hole in the ground.

1. ask them where the new brownings are made. was belgium, then japan, now belgium again.

2.do some ballistic research on the gun you want. ask them about velocity/energy.

3.if he starts telling you what you want , tell him fuh q, and walk away.

i took my wife to academy to buy her a gun to practice with to get her concealed carry license with. the same guy is trying yo make us buy 45.i told him what i wanted to see, a 9mm, he scoffs at me.ok that pissed me off royaly.i hand my wife the 9mm told her to pull the slide back.she held it with her right hand and put her left on top of the slide, and pulled back, in a way that it was pointed at the customer next to her left side. when i told her not to do it that way,to hold out front, pointed at what would be down range. the ex "army ranger" said thats how i do it. i told him that if he were on a range around here and did that the range boss would likly remove him. if he did it with my on his left side, he would end up with my 44 in his face.

i asked a guy at academy once to see a 17 HMR, he went to the high powered rifle section to look for one.heres a way to tell if they know there but from a hole in the ground.

1. ask them where the new brownings are made. was belgium, then japan, now belgium again.

2.do some ballistic research on the gun you want. ask them about velocity/energy.

3.if he starts telling you what you want , tell him fuh q, and walk away.

i took my wife to academy to buy her a gun to practice with to get her concealed carry license with. the same guy is trying yo make us buy 45.i told him what i wanted to see, a 9mm, he scoffs at me.ok that pissed me off royaly.i hand my wife the 9mm told her to pull the slide back.she held it with her right hand and put her left on top of the slide, and pulled back, in a way that it was pointed at the customer next to her left side. when i told her not to do it that way,to hold out front, pointed at what would be down range. the ex "army ranger" said thats how i do it. i told him that if he were on a range around here and did that the range boss would likly remove him. if he did it with my on his left side, he would end up with my 44 in his face.

Haha, I took a female friend to buy a pistol a few months ago. She wanted a semi-auto between 9mm and .40 caliber and about the size of a G19. I told the salesman this exactly. He immediately recommended a revolver. I told him "no, she is set on semi-auto because she has a kid and revolvers have a few less impediments to getting a round off than a semi-auto." What does he do? He walks to the revolver case, opens it up, and tries to hand her a revolver as though the prior conversation didn't exist. I was dumbfounded.

Haha, I took a female friend to buy a pistol a few months ago. She wanted a semi-auto between 9mm and .40 caliber and about the size of a G19. I told the salesman this exactly. He immediately recommended a revolver. I told him "no, she is set on semi-auto because she has a kid and revolvers have a few less impediments to getting a round off than a semi-auto." What does he do? He walks to the revolver case, opens it up, and tries to hand her a revolver as though the prior conversation didn't exist. I was dumbfounded.

Wow, dumb POS :mad:. Did you give him one upside the head? :D

maybe he didnt know the difference:p maybe he thought beings the cylinder turns by it self, it was an automatic. dont sales people like that hack you off to no end?

I'm no expert but my experience tells me that the amount of oil required is directly related to the type of gun you are shooting.

As an example, AR-15 type rifles like to run wet. The more oil (in the right places) the better believe it or not. A bolt action rifle - I like some moly on trigger group and some grease on the rails. - not much lube required at all.

Keep in mind that your gun runs with metal friction on metal. Your car won't run if it doesn't have oil in it and if it doesn't have the recommended oil in it, it won't last as long.

If you don't feel comfortable with "wet" lubricants, try a dry lube with moly in it. The moly will continue to lube the moving parts after the fluid that carries it has long evaporated away.

For wet lubes, CLP (Break Free) is pretty popular. I like TW-25B grease on all my guns where the bolt carrier rides on a rail and the spray in other areas that don't require grease. Mil-Comm Products manufactures the grease and it's used by the military around the world.

If I need a dry lube the I use something with molybdenum in it similar to what Sentry Solutions sells.

Believe it or not, the best bore cleaner out there (even better than Hoppes - especially on a rifle) is a light lubricant called Kroil. Bench rest shooters have been using it for years and I swear by it. It's manufactured by Kano labs. Midway carries it.

Happy Lubing! :)

i have always used 30wt motor oil to lube my guns. it seems to work very well. in every thing from my 22s to my Draganov. what protects your cars engine? the friction of an automatic weapon, is very simular to that of an engine.just a few drops on the rails,bolt grooves, firing pin hole, and trigger assembly, and she works slicker than snot.