SBE2 & Nasty Kick

Kazz

You really do need to toughen up. You are physically capable of it I am sure, work on the mind. It's like me when I first started doing kung fu. I was scared to death of being punched in the face. After a while, it just became the norm. Suck it up and shoot the thing and you will learn to like it, or maybe im just a sick sick man

How is your buddy Pat Morita doing?

Benelli's kick. The upside is the reliability, durability and the ease of cleaning. A beretta or Rem. ,Browning gas gun will kick less, but are a pain to clean and less reliable. You have to pick your poisen.

Personally, I like the Cordoba with the long forcing cones and the longer chokes with the factory porting. The stock with the recoil chevrons and the rubber comb is really nice. I shot one Dove Hunting a few days ago that was a 12ga and it kicked like a gas gun. Best of both worlds. Not too long ago you had to have all that stuff done aftermarket and it was pricey and a pain. Now you just open your wallet and walk out with a gun that you could take right down to Argentina: hence the name.

I to am a new benelli owner having purchased an original sbe late last fall. I was at first surprised by the amount of recoil these guns have while shooting sporting clays but after a few rounds you really do get used to it and have plenty of time to rest your shoulder while the other autos in your group are clearing their jams. Yesterday I took my first 2 geese with this gun using 3 1/2's and honestly can say that I didn't feel it at all with the excitement of the moment.Give yourself a bit of time with this gun and you'll most likely find yourself quite happy. I have heard good things about the limbsaver recoil pad so this is something you may want to try. Hope this helps and good luck whatever you do.

• 2 weeks later...

on my SBE2 i was haveing trouble handleing the recoil and barrel jump with my 24" slug barrel shooting buckhammers out of it. what i did to tame the trouble was to have the barrel pro ported, then a sims recoil pad, and last but not least switched to lightfield slugs. so my point is differant things can be done to lesson the recoil feel of any gun.

i think at the time it was around $85.00 and it would have been the same for a field barrel. it was money well spent, the 1st year i hunted deer with it i missed dang near every deer i shot at and one time if it hadn't been for my saftey harness i would have been kicked clear out of my treestand!!! after the porting and switching slug brands i went 3 for 3 ........

Why not take a look at the recoil pads offered by PAST. They fit under you jacket or into a pocket on the inside of your jacket. They do a great job of absorbing heavy recoil, they are inexpensive, and don't require any mods to your gun. I started using them as I got older and less recoil tolerant. I used them with a light .375 H&H fired off the benchrest, and they made shooting the .375 tolerable. They are available from: http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past/

I've not had a chance to get out since those first few shells. But goose season opens tomorrow and I got a call that a slot was open in the blind. So, given there will be birds, I'll have a second shot at this.

I did order and receive a limbsaver shoulder pad I'll wear under my shirt. I've been practicing how I mount to my shoulder, too.

We'll see. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Again, I was just really, really shocked by the kick. My effort will be to mount the gun properly, pull it into my shoulder, lean into it, and not flinch.

Here's to baggin' two tomorrow. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

If the SBE II kicks you to much then put the Limbsaver pad on it and be done with it.

I did not think the recoil was that bad stock but I had herd a lot of good things about the limbsaver through the trap boys. I decided to give it a whirl and now it is a sweet dream to shoot. I will not own another shotgun with out one "period".