Worn out SBE

TAKEM

The extractor assembly certainly gets lazy over time. Could be just gummed up or a dead spring.

Quick and easy fix from www.brownells.com for about $27.

Order a new extractor, extractor spring, and while you're at it, get a new extractor pin.

Push the pin down with a small nail or punch. Remove the spring and extractor. Clean out all the crud, and replace with all new parts.

At very least, order a new extractor spring.

mudhen - CA

Crazyhair: Just a brief history on this gun, I used it shooting sporting clays league for 5 years. Each year I reloaded 1000 rounds for the season so it cycled 5000 rounds just at trap. I also hunt ducks and geese with the same gun. Very well could be time to replace it..

I have only done a few on my Benellis.

I recall changing one on an SBE at 15,000 rounds of magnum waterfowl loads.

Might just be dirty, who knows....

Hrmfrghtyhsdyt....$3 spring......15,000 rounds.... seems kinda 'spensive to me.....

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by mudhen:

The extractor assembly certainly gets lazy over time. Could be just gummed up or a dead spring.

Order a new extractor, extractor spring, and while you're at it, get a new extractor pin.

Push the pin down with a small nail or punch. Remove the spring and extractor. Clean out all the crud, and replace with all new parts.

mudhen - CA

Wish I could take your advise. The locking head in the locking head assembly of my gun does not have a "thru" hole drilled in it. This makes it so I can't drive the roll pin out to change the extractor. Looks like I may need to buy the entire assembly.

Originally posted by TAKEM:

quote:
Originally posted by mudhen:

mudhen - CA

mudhen, Please tell me how you got the roll pin out of the locking head so the extractor can be removed. I have 2 SBE's and cannot see how the roll pin is removed. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two holes on my SBE locking head, one above the extractor, one below.

The top hole is the tap hole. It is offset so the pin stays put.

The pin itself sits in the the bottom hole and holds the extractor in place.

I tapped from the top until the pin came out of the bottom hole.

Then I grabbed the pin with a pliers and pulled out.

I think the rolled pin is pretty much a single use pin.

mudhen - CA