I went shooting last week (pics/videos)

Duggan

In celebration (or perhaps dismay) of school starting again, a friend and I took our m4s and fired close to 1000 rounds through them.

M4s01.jpg

In addition to skeet shooting, slugs at the rifle range and buckshot dumping while moving, we did tests comparing the fixed and collapsible stocks, as we are both considering selling ours while the market is good.

http://www.supload.com/vid/stocktest/355080957/avi/

You can't reallllly see it in the video, but we both agree that the solid stock is much more comfortable and practical to shoot with. It gives a much faster and more consistent cheekweld, and when I raise the shotgun to my face I find that the irons are in just the right position, while with the collapsible I sometimes had to make small adjustments after the initial raise.

So I think I've had my fun with the collapsible stock, it has it's uses and it certainly looks cool, but if I could sell for even 750+ I'd do it in a heartbeat to someone else who wants to experience it. I'll miss it sometimes, but I can certainly live without it.

I also did a test of one handed, fully collapsed stock, zero shoulder support limp wristed shooting, attempting to make the m4 screw up ... I finally succeeded with #8 shot. Buckshot and #4 shot fed and functioned fine in my limited testing of this.

http://www.supload.com/vid/8jams/119129403/avi/

(notice the 9 shots I fire :) )

After the second shot, the third shell would eject onto the lifter, but it would never get lifted.

During this shoot, my GG&G charging handle got severly bent somehow. This has happened before and I have reported on the incident, but this was much worse than it has ever been. The metal in the GG&G charging handle just isn't rigid enough for this application ... which sucks, because I really like how big and textured the handle is.

When I got home I ordered the Progressive Machine & Tool titanium charging handle, and it arrived today.

I thought it would be the same size at the GG&G, as I thought they looked the same in some pictures I took, however upon inspection and comparison it is clear that the PMT handle is much smaller.

handles01.jpg

handles02.jpg

PMT on left, stock in middle, GG&G on right (you can kind of see the bend in the metal, even though I straighted it back out with a vice)

I thought this would be an issue, but when I popped it into my gun it felt just right ... almost better than the GG&G. It's a huge step up from the stock charging handle IMO in terms of ergonomics ... and the part of the handle that actually goes into the bolt carrier group is identical to the stock charging handle, unlike the GG&G which didn't have the fat stabilizing part, nor the 3 grooves that prevent the handle from spinning. To be honest I forgot all about the stock handle not spinning, as over the past 2 years I've gotten used to having a spinning charging handle ... but to have it not spin is nifty.

I have yet to fire with this charging handle, but from playing with it in my room it seems that it is the ideal mix of size ergonomics and design ... much easier on the fingers then the stock handle, quicker to grab and yank without getting your pointer stuck in the breech.

Being titanium coated with diamondblack, I have high expectations for this handle.

So I find it kind of funny/interesting that after 3+ years now of using my m4, I've regressed I guess to a much simpler configuration than I once used.

This is a picture of my m4 2 years ago, to the date actually ... 9/4/06, how funny

m11707.jpg

Image Hosting

and this is my m4 as I currently use it ... no sling, no collapsible stock, no eotech or larue mount, and a smaller charging handle. It's sitting on the same computer chair too, 2 years later, should you be fooled into thinking I posted the same pic each time.

m4current.jpg

No matter how you set it up, it's one **** of a shotgun.

• 3 months later...
Guest cleefurd
That titanium handle is $55 bucks!!

I don't mind spending some cash, but thats a lot of dough.

Ours is the same with the 3 flats so as not to spin. Cerakote Black over titanium, 1/2" dia knurled hollow bore which is like the one on the left. We are currently/tentatively working on a batch big enough for stocking w/ Brownell's also, plus catching up on back orders. Least case we will have them in our online store which is being overhauled after extended dormancy.

$39 plus $5 priority mail= $44 delivered.

We are carriercomp.

If interested in availability by mid Jan '09, please email subject line "M4 Bolt handle only" to;

[email protected]

We will place your contact info in a folder for notification when back in stock

Ours is the same with the 3 flats so as not to spin. Cerakote Black over titanium, 1/2" dia knurled hollow bore which is like the one on the left. We are currently/tentatively working on a batch big enough for stocking w/ Brownell's also, plus catching up on back orders. Least case we will have them in our online store which is being overhauled after extended dormancy.

$39 plus $5 priority mail= $44 delivered.

We are carriercomp.

If interested in availability by mid Jan '09, please email subject line "M4 Bolt handle only" to;

[email protected]

We will place your contact info in a folder for notification when back in stock

email sent, put me on the list for one.