Which skeet rounds do you use?

NJgunner

12 people view with no response.. anyway I bought remington game loads 12 guage 2 3/4" 1oz shot size 8...on sale for $52 for 10 boxes...hope this **** cycles, then again for $1400 shotgun, shouldnt have to worry about **** cycleing in my gun, I think my jams were related to improper lubrication of the plunger/recoil tube.

I use the Federal Top Gun 1 1/8 oz #8 3 Dram in my SBE II

and have never had a problem, the only 1 oz loads I use are

reloads in a Remington STS hull with SRC wads and Clays powder. never had a problem

Thanks bro, i was looking on cheaperthandirt.com...ended up going with remington game loads low brass #8 shot 1oz....I bought 20 boxes so I hopw they are good!

I use whatever the cheapest 100 pack available at wal mart is.

It's the only thing I go to wal mart for.

What kind of shotgun are you firing with? Ill use cheap loads, although these are remingtons so they are good they were on sale! I use Federal for hunting, they are no ********...I shot a deer in a drive while it was running with full choke at a solid 60 yards using federal 00 3 1/2" buckshot, only shot once because i figured it was outta range, he dropped like a bad habit!

I only own one benelli at the moment, and that is a 11707.

I shoot whatever I can get ahold of or have on hand. When I get low, I generally buy 10+ different types of buckshot to run through my m4, just to try stuff out. Skeet rounds I always buy locally in 100+ packs.

I don't have time to hunt, so I haven't really developed any favorites as far as stopping power.

Why do you shoot 7.5 in skeet? I shoot 9's if I can find them.

Novaking

leftovers from skeet range next door to trap range and shooting mid 20's is good enough for me, i do not shoot competition events only for fun on occasion and only takes one pellet to brake the clay! i will try some 8's next trip and see if i can get all of them!

I only shoot 9's if they are on sale. 2 week ago I found AA 9's for 4.99 a box. Got to buy them. I shoot 8's for clays,skeet, and 16yard trap. 7 1/2's for dove sized game,and trap 20 yards back. 6's for trap @27yards.(not very good there). 5's for turkeys(hevi-shot) and first shot peasants. 4's second shot peasant.

Novaking

never have understood why people pay the big bucks for WW AA skeet loads.

Yes and no.

For the average guy, cheap shells are fine for skeet, and short yardage trap.

The guys who take clay target shooting seriously can't afford to have shell problems, and that's why they use the expensive shells.

The cheaper shells are cheaper for a reason. They use cheaper, dirtier powder, softer shot, sometimes they change the wad to whatever they have available at the time. I have taken apart Remington Gun Club shells (great ammo by the way) at different times, and have found different color powder and different wads in them (not in the same case, but rather, maybe a year apart.)

Again, using cheap ammo is generally not an issue for short yardage situations like 16-yard trap, and skeet.

For long yardage trap, like back at the 27 yard line, and for long yardage shots on the sporting clays course, the better components do make a difference. Harder shot patterns better than soft shot, and you can be more confident the AA shells you bought a month ago will perform the same as the AA shells you're going to buy next year. Hence, that's why you'll see the really good shooters, who compete on the national circuit, shoot the better shells.

To some degree, its a confidence factor. The good shooters believe (right or wrong) that using the better ammo takes one variable out of the picture. That is, they have a lot of things to worry about trying to break all 200 of those trap targets in a big competition, and they don't want to be concerned with whether their ammo is going to be perfect.

Another reason is if you are "into" clay target shooting, you probably reload to save money AND to tailor loads to your liking. The expensive shells like Win AA's, Federal Gold Medals, and Remington STS's and Nitro's offer hulls that can be reloaded 5 to 10 times before wearing out.

BTW, I use 9's for skeet because I shoot a .410 (actually, I shoot my 12 gauge gun with full length .410 sub-gauge tubes.) There are about 260 number 9 pellets in my .410 reloads. Only about 150 if I were to use 7-1/2's.

Yes and no.

BTW, I use 9's for skeet because I shoot a .410 (actually, I shoot my 12 gauge gun with full length .410 sub-gauge tubes.) There are about 260 number 9 pellets in my .410 reloads. Only about 150 if I were to use 7-1/2's.

I haven't done the math. I thought it was amost twice the pellets from 7 1/2 to 9's. I figured at the skeet range, 9's or 10's would break targets just as easy as 7 1/2's. I will take all the help I can get.

Novaking

Yeah, all the ''big'' shooters there shoot 6's back there. They even tell you to shoot 6's.

P.S. I live I ILLINOIS. range in the middle, corn fields all around.

Novaking

I'd shoot 6 shot too at 25 to 27 yards, but unfortunately, for ATA competition, 7-1/2 is the biggest they allow.

8's or 9's are standard skeet size pellets, 7 1/2's are ok but like its been mentioned you get a less dense pattern. Timb99 is right about ATA rules being 7 1/2 shot is the largest allowed.

Typical traps loads use 7 1/2 for the long range shots through full or mod chokes.