New Guy here

Briantrapshooter

Hello,

New guy here from the omaha area.

I figured I should introduce myself. I decided to join this forum as part of my research process for my next shotgun.

I currently use my grandfathers remington 870, and would like to get something new for trap shooting in order to preserve the 870. (It means so much to me and its starting to show its age)

I am strongly considering purchasing a Benelli super sport, for trap and eventualy geting into skeet shooting. If anybody has a stronger recomendation for another type of Benelli for these purposes please feel free to share.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Trap shooting is not my area of expertise, but having shot both the supersport and numerous 870's, I can say for sure that it is a substantial upgrade for your intended purposes.

Be advised that the carbon fiber version is not actual carbon fiber ... a lot of people seem to not realize this.

-Duggan

I shoot my SuperSport for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays.

It is a "flat-shooting" gun (50/50) which I like. Some people prefer a "high-shooting" (60/40 or 70/30) gun for trap which allows them to "float" the rising targets. You can change the comb insert to make the SS shoot higher.

It is a fantastic clays gun and, although at 7.2 lb, a little light for some people for Skeet, I'm fine with it. You can add weight to it. Try to shoot one at your club. (If you're ever in NY you're welcome to shoot mine!:D)

Brian,

If you're looking to shoot for fun, and not seriously shoot trap or skeet in competition, the supersport will be fine.

If, on the other hand, you have fallen in love with trap shooting, (and many of us, myself included, do,) you'll find the supersport may not be the best choice for trap. In fact, I shoot a lot of trap and have never seen one used in trap competition. There's probably a reason for that.

If you really want a dedicated trap gun, may I suggest a used Browning BT-99 to start with.

Skeet is a totally different game from trap. A gun suited for trap may not necessarily be well suited for skeet. The vast majority of competitive skeet shooters use over/under shotguns with ~30" barrels, that are kind of heavy.

In either case, buying a gun that fits you is extremely important. Find someone who really knows what that means. The guys at Guns Unlimited in Omaha may be able to help you out.

Just some random thoughts.

With trap and skeet, my club is strict on keeping the range clean and if your shooting an auto,your picking up hulls all the time. I don't think they make a shell catcher for benelli's yet but a rubberband will work.(big rubberband look bad on the $1600 gun). I would go with a O/U. I shoot a ''flat shooting'' O/U for trap and skeet. This will be the best compromise between the two sports because you won't find a perfect gun for both. I would go with 28'' or 30'' barrels and like tim said "a little heavy" will help you shoot longer.

For the price of a supersport. I would look at two guns.

FOR TRAP:

Browning BPS trap

Used BT-99

Supernova w/ high comb

FOR SKEET:

Bennelli dimond O/U

Remington SPR 310 O/U

Beretta 390 or 391

These are just a few of many guns I would use. Buying two of these guns will be less or the same as the supersport

Two guns will be a only way you can get the best of both worlds.

novaking

If I may add, don't forget the Remington 1100 or 1187.

A LOT of people, myself included, started off with the 1100 trap model when they took up trap shooting. And I know a lot of very good trap shooters who still shoot them.

And a lot of folks, before over/unders became really popular, shot 1100 skeet models for competition.

You can get the used, in good condition, for $500 to $800.

Excellent starter guns.

Hello,

New guy here from the omaha area.

I figured I should introduce myself. I decided to join this forum as part of my research process for my next shotgun.

I currently use my grandfathers remington 870, and would like to get something new for trap shooting in order to preserve the 870. (It means so much to me and its starting to show its age)

I am strongly considering purchasing a Benelli super sport, for trap and eventualy geting into skeet shooting. If anybody has a stronger recomendation for another type of Benelli for these purposes please feel free to share.

research no more,,your home,,Super Sports are tops man,,don't be fooled by imitation,,,I trap with my 81 Benelli and my 97 Benelli,lovem both,,man I've just held those Super Sports,,gotta get one,, one day,,the fit and feel is soooooooo natural.

research no more,,your home,,Super Sports are tops man,,don't be fooled by imitation,,,I trap with my 81 Benelli and my 97 Benelli,lovem both,,man I've just held those Super Sports,,gotta get one,, one day,,the fit and feel is soooooooo natural.

I agree...its swing motion feels very natural and smooth. I like light guns.