Sabot slugs and Sighting In

USPOJPP

You will be amazed at how clean the barrel remains in shooting sabots. In sighting in my M2 and to end of season (one shot - one kill) there was only minimal plastic fouling after cleaning post hunt. I cycled a total of 21 shells and I made the core-lokt ultra's my choice (I've got a thing for velocity). I don't believe the tolerances for a shotgun barrel pushing a hard plastic sabot are anything as close as a rifle, so fouling should'nt be an issue. I don't know how barrel heating could affect your group though... I gave my gun cool down time while walking down range & back to mark groups. Please let me know what you end up using. I'm looking forward to shooting some of the new capped slugs.

Don't get me wrong... I believe in clean guns. But if the same holds true with rifled shotguns pushing plastic wads as it does with rifles pushing copper bullets then most experts would tell you that the first rounds shot through a clean bore will not group as tight.

I was taught this way for rifles and do it the same for slug guns. Following bore-sighting, zero at 25 yds. with 3 round groups. If you can't get zero'd in 9 shots somethings wrong with your shooting, your optics, or your gun (most of the time it's the shooter). Your shells used for zeroing will "scrub" the excess oil from the clean bore and put down an undetectable coating of powder residue and plastic that will stabilize the friction and velocity of your pending shots. Know the ballistics of your ammo and fire a 3 round group downrange at 125yds. or whatever the corresponding drop zero is for your bullet. If everything is working right (including you), then you will be right on and your gun bore will be "conditioned" to shoot as accurately as it ever will. As more rounds are fired, the accuracy will diminish due to barrel fouling. Another thing to be aware of is barrel heating. A wise military man taught me to leave the action of the gun open after every shot, during adjustments, and while checking groups. Load only one shell at a time. A shell that sits in the breech of a hot barrel will expand ever so slightly changing the ballistics.

Once you've done this you're ready to hunt. DON'T clean the bore until your completely done slug hunting for the season. Keep the exterior and all other parts clean and well lubed. ALWAYS check the bore to make sure there are no obstructions prior to hunting. If you're a good hunter it should'nt take too many rounds to bag the big one and you can clean the bore at the end of the season while eating some tasty sausages:).

If you're shooting tactical or sport at short ranges then I agree with cleaning a gun after every time out.