Missing in action

TMAC

I dont know if anyone here ever had this happen to them, but hope you never do. Last night we left the house for an hour, our yellow lab was in the back yard which is fenced 6' high/gated/and locked. When we returned home the gate was wide open, lock of, and dog gone.

I dont know of too many dogs who can pick a lock, he never got out in the past, never wondered, and for us was the best companion you could ask for.

I cannot imagine for the life of me where he is or who or what took him, my only guess with his friendly nature he is sitting in someone elses living room sleeping on the floor.

Cops were called, humane sociently notified, vets called, and flyers being sent out today. Some how I dont think we are getting him back. Lots of sad kids and moms and dads here.

That's tough.

There have been increases in dog thefts in our area as well.

It's kind of a hopeless situation, but I'd add a Craisglist.com posting to everything you've already done.

Any surveillance cameras anywhere near your house? If so, you might see if you can get access to the tapes and see if anything is on them.

The police simply aren't going to put a lot of time and effort into this kind of thing, unless it's one of their own or the mayor's pooch.

Only good news we had was there was a guy driving around with a dog in his van asking kids if they knew who he belonged to, one kid pointed toward our house but no dog yet. So its possible he escaped??

Either way the guy isnt doing the right thing by bringing him into to the humane society drop off or local animal control or the cops, all of them have our info on hand.

Another night of searching.

To me it is quite amazing how much of an impact a lost pet can have on a family. I had to get rid of one of my dogs and that's when i was a kid, Our whole family was saddened with the loss (had no choice, didn't have the time to take care of him and didn't want to neglect him). I'm not saying you won't get yours back, i bet you will!

Thank you all for your concerns.

We finally got him back on Saturday afternoon. The couple that picked him up found him about 50 yards away from my front door, guess he let himself out somehow. They kept him for about 3 days before calling him in at the local humane society clinic, once the humane society got the call they phoned us immediatly with the contact info.

We drove about 10 miles from our house to get him; when we arrived we found the couple who had him was really more interested in actually keeping him but must have had second thoughts. The made me prove it was my dog (like they couldnt tell), so we did a few tricks and some retrieving drills combined with hand signals just in case there was any doubt.

The whole family was happy has **** to get him back, and believe me everyone was misserable while he was gone. He gets chipped this week and last night I riveted his tags to his collar, no name on the tags - its harder to keep a dog when you dont know his name - my dogs captures found that out.

To end the weekend on a high note we went goose hunting over a picked winter wheat field, shot 6 geese in our group and let my dog Tread bring em all back. It didnt matter if they were stone dead or alive and kicking he got them all.

Next week we celebrate his 4th b-day!

Bring on the ducks and pheasants.

Glad you got him back! I've got a yellow lab about the same age. She so friendly she would probably leave with anyone.What the best way to rcover a lost or stolen dog?

To get the dog back we did a lot of things but the ones that work the best are to report your dog missing with the local police, humane societly or equiv too, and animal control - we found these 3 groups work together so if one of them knows somthing they all do.

We hung signs, flyers in newspaper boxes, add in newspaper, and talked to the neighbors. The neighbor kids gave us the tip he was picked up, all you can really do is wait and hope someone brings him or her into the authorities in a timely manner.

We had a happy ending, thank God.

• 3 weeks later...
He is back in action since the duck and goose opener here, plenty of retrieves and lots of fun. He looks good.

Howdy TMAC! Glad to hear you got him back. When I lived in the Priest Lake country folks would drive around and steal hunting dogs during the season, use them or lose them and sometimes shoot them rather than give 'em back.

So happy to hear of a great out come. I chip all of my dogs now. Best 35.00 I have ever spent. I like the no name on the collar idea and riveting info to the collar. My dogs have lost their info several times with the tags.

I have never hunted water foul, but would like to someday. This is the place I'm told, but tons of anti hunters movin in that don't like guns or hunting.

I live on a lake, but neighbors freak out when they hear guns. Guess they will have to take an aspirin. LOL

ARCQB

Thank you all for your concerns.

We finally got him back on Saturday afternoon. The couple that picked him up found him about 50 yards away from my front door, guess he let himself out somehow. They kept him for about 3 days before calling him in at the local humane society clinic, once the humane society got the call they phoned us immediatly with the contact info.

We drove about 10 miles from our house to get him; when we arrived we found the couple who had him was really more interested in actually keeping him but must have had second thoughts. The made me prove it was my dog (like they couldnt tell), so we did a few tricks and some retrieving drills combined with hand signals just in case there was any doubt.

The whole family was happy has **** to get him back, and believe me everyone was misserable while he was gone. He gets chipped this week and last night I riveted his tags to his collar, no name on the tags - its harder to keep a dog when you dont know his name - my dogs captures found that out.

To end the weekend on a high note we went goose hunting over a picked winter wheat field, shot 6 geese in our group and let my dog Tread bring em all back. It didnt matter if they were stone dead or alive and kicking he got them all.

Next week we celebrate his 4th b-day!

Bring on the ducks and pheasants.

TMAC,

Just checked back to find out if your doggie was returned and am smiling from ear to ear! Congrats!

Nelli Girl