choke tube test results and a question for the "experts"

makemenuts

I purchased a pair of Kicks chioke tube extenders in Modified for my 20 g and 12 g SBE Benelli's...most of the ballistics reports that I have read spoke highly of the ability of these tubes to tighten patterns especially with larger steel loads.

Here are the results:

20 G Benelli 3" #5 Kent Impact

# of hits within a 30" circle at 35 yards with Kicks modified = 88 with Benelli factory modified = 96

of note was the fact that there were 49 just high hits (on paper, but outside of circle) with the Benelii facotory modified choke...very few with the Kicks choke

12 G Benelli 3" #3 Fiocchi Steel

# of hits within a 30" circle at 35 yards with Kicks modified = 139 with Benelli factory modified = 113 (23% improvement)

Kicks provided a much nicer pattern on the larger steel pellet than the tungsten pellet...I am returning the 20 G choke tube and keeping the 12 G.

Now I need to determine how to shoot a bit lower with the 20 g to get that pattern up to 145 pellets in the circle!!

Or should I adjust the drop to "C"? Any insights?

only takes minutes to change shim and try different fit, it's a crap shoot to get pattern where ya want it with so many different chokes and sizes of pellets but YOU will need to come to a happy conclusion that the chokes are good for you!! SBE's are known for shooting high. I would adjust my POA or keep the 20 Ga choke if your math is making you happy? Myself i use the Primos tubes for all my shooting, they did just fine for me on pattern board !

• 1 month later...

not to jinx myself but the 20 gague is sweet...I've tried to choose a sight plane a bit lower than normal and the results have been good.

The Kent matrix shells that I had from a few seasons ago are a nice load. I will be trying the WIngmaster HD loads soon.

Any input on the HD shotshells?

not to jinx myself but the 20 gague is sweet...I've tried to choose a sight plane a bit lower than normal and the results have been good.

The Kent matrix shells that I had from a few seasons ago are a nice load. I will be trying the WIngmaster HD loads soon.

Any input on the HD shotshells?

M2 20ga #6 Wingmaster HD Trulock IC 40yds 90%:

45c11798.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased a pair of Kicks chioke tube extenders in Modified for my 20 g and 12 g SBE Benelli's...most of the ballistics reports that I have read spoke highly of the ability of these tubes to tighten patterns especially with larger steel loads.

Here are the results:

20 G Benelli 3" #5 Kent Impact

# of hits within a 30" circle at 35 yards with Kicks modified = 88 with Benelli factory modified = 96

of note was the fact that there were 49 just high hits (on paper, but outside of circle) with the Benelii facotory modified choke...very few with the Kicks choke

12 G Benelli 3" #3 Fiocchi Steel

# of hits within a 30" circle at 35 yards with Kicks modified = 139 with Benelli factory modified = 113 (23% improvement)

Kicks provided a much nicer pattern on the larger steel pellet than the tungsten pellet...I am returning the 20 G choke tube and keeping the 12 G.

Now I need to determine how to shoot a bit lower with the 20 g to get that pattern up to 145 pellets in the circle!!

Or should I adjust the drop to "C"? Any insights?

One way to shoot lower is to try one of those magnetic hi vis sights on the end of your barrel. Those sit a little higher than the stock bead and when you line everything up that should lower your POI a little. I done that on one of my guns and it did help.

• 3 weeks later...