New Member - Need Help With Purchase

KFCCON123

Dear Friends:

I went to a gun show last weekend, but only one exhibitor had any Benelli products on display. I want to purchase an 18" Benelli pump action shotgun with a pistol grip strictly for home protection. The M4 was extremely comfortable and I shall like to know which pump action model will provide the same comfortable 'feel' in my hands.

Thank you all very much for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Since you said you handled an m4, I'll assume when you say "pistol grip", you mean an a protruding grip below the stock like an m4, not a "pistol grip" which is the bent stock that they almost all have. It's annoying and people constantly mix up the terminology, but I think that is what you mean.

That being the case, what you want is a supernova tactical, or a supernova w/ steadygrip ... not sure what the difference is. The regular nova does not offer a pistol grip, unless they have changed their models since I last did my research.

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/specialPurpose.tpl

I have to ask though ... why do you want a pump if you liked the way the m4 feels so much? Is it the cost? Do you not have faith/experience in autoloading guns or their reliability? Do you want to be able to rack the weapon to scare the person?

I'm just curious because it's not very often that I hear of people who get to handle an m4 ... who then decide they want a pump gun.

Since you said you handled an m4, I'll assume when you say "pistol grip", you mean an a protruding grip below the stock like an m4, not a "pistol grip" which is the bent stock that they almost all have. It's annoying and people constantly mix up the terminology, but I think that is what you mean.

That being the case, what you want is a supernova tactical, or a supernova w/ steadygrip ... not sure what the difference is. The regular nova does not offer a pistol grip, unless they have changed their models since I last did my research.

I have to ask though ... why do you want a pump if you liked the way the m4 feels so much? Is it the cost? Do you not have faith/experience in autoloading guns or their reliability? Do you want to be able to rack the weapon to scare the person?

I'm just curious because it's not very often that I hear of people who get to handle an m4 ... who then decide they want a pump gun.

Dear Duggan:

Thanks for your response. Benelli makes the terms 'pistol grip' and 'SteadyGrip' very confusing. Although both terms seem to be identical when you look at the SUPERNOVA models they apply to, it appears the term SteadyGrip is used for the longer hunting model, while pistol grip is used for the 18" tactical model.

There are a number of reasons I plan on getting a pump (money is not an issue) and perhaps you can tell me if I am misguided. I do want the absolute most reliable option possible. I also want the safest (in terms of accidental discharge) option possible. Finally, as you mentioned, in terms of home defense, especially since I will most likely find myself in the position of going downstairs to 'greet' any visitors, I do want to be able to rack the gun to give any visitors the option to reconsider the length and terms of their intended stay.

Does the SUPERNOVA Tactical with the pistol grip have the same dimensions, geometry, etc. - basically, the same 'feel' as the M4?

Once again thanks for all your kind assistance.

i may be wrong , and im sure i will be corrected if so. but i believe a "steadygrip" is a pistol like grip or tube forsay on the pump it self. the pistolgrip is behind the trigger gaurd.

you have the right ideas fore the most part in every respect but one. if i may shed some light on an intrusion.

1. dont go looking for your intruder.this could very well give your own position away.

2.if you live in a 2 story house, keep a night light or other dim light on at the bottom of the stair case.

3. as soon as you suspect an intruder, call 911 and whisper "intruder in my home" and your address, then lay the phone down dont hang it up.

4. position yourself at the top of the stairs so that you can see the bottom. this way you are firing down at the intended target.not much chance of an innocent being killed, unless your brother in law lives in your basement. your looking into a lighted area, since he will be in it,he he will be some what blinded as to the darkness above.

just some thoughts, happy hunting.

The pump gun with the same basic feel of the M4 will be the M3. It's convertible from semi-automatic to pump.

Traditional shotguns stocks come in two flavors. English stocks have a straight grip, whereas most others feature a pistol grip. The English grip was designed to be used on two trigger guns to allow the shooter to smoothly transition from the front trigger to the rear trigger.

With the advent of single trigger guns, the pistol grip provided extra support and stability at the rear of the gun.

Tactical grips such as the Benelli SteadyGrip are variations of the traditional pistol grip.

The vertical grips attached to the forearm of some AR's and pump shotguns are commonly referred to as battle grips.

Dear Duggan:

Thanks for your response. Benelli makes the terms 'pistol grip' and 'SteadyGrip' very confusing. Although both terms seem to be identical when you look at the SUPERNOVA models they apply to, it appears the term SteadyGrip is used for the longer hunting model, while pistol grip is used for the 18" tactical model.

There are a number of reasons I plan on getting a pump (money is not an issue) and perhaps you can tell me if I am misguided. I do want the absolute most reliable option possible. I also want the safest (in terms of accidental discharge) option possible. Finally, as you mentioned, in terms of home defense, especially since I will most likely find myself in the position of going downstairs to 'greet' any visitors, I do want to be able to rack the gun to give any visitors the option to reconsider the length and terms of their intended stay.

Does the SUPERNOVA Tactical with the pistol grip have the same dimensions, geometry, etc. - basically, the same 'feel' as the M4?

Once again thanks for all your kind assistance.

A stock m4 and a stock supernova tactical both weigh 7.8 lbs

They have the same overall length and length of pull.

I don't know if the m3 comes with an available "steadygrip" pistol grip. I disqualified it from my list of choices to give because I didn't think it had one.

But between the supernova and m4 ... I'd imagine the supernova would recoil harder due to being pump and not having a gas system, but it's been a long time since I shot a supernova. I personally don't really like the benelli pump hand guard that much, but I'm used to 870s for pump guns.

Concerning the m4 and its reliability ... you're right, it's not AS reliable as a pump. It jams sometimes during the first 200 break in rounds, some people are having issues with the magazine spring not ejecting rounds fully when they switch to a full length tube ... But if you shoot through the break in period, and switch to a stronger spring (apparently the m1 spring solves all issues anyone has had) if you happen to get one of the freak units that won't work in a 7 round tube ... you shouldn't have any problems. You can also still rack the unit, it's quite loud and a great sound. Accidental discharge is not really worth talking about, it doesn't happen unless you're to blame.

I say all this just to give a fair representation of the two. But realize I also say this as a guy who now has 11k rounds or so through his m4, never replaced any factory part, never had a fail to fire, accidental discharge, jam after the first 200, or any type of malfunction. The only problems I've ever had were when I replaced a factory bolt handle with an aftermarket one, and I bent the **** out of it because it couldn't keep up with how I abused it. I replaced that one with a titanium one and haven't had a problem since.

I have 100% faith in my m4 ... I just don't want to give you the impression that there are 0.0000 problems with the m4s reliability ... when it's really more like 0.001 problems reported over the months from select users (and may or may not be user error) that are completely solvable should they happen to arise.

If you somehow can, I'd say to shoot an m4 prior to buying to see if you like the way it handles. It's a great shotgun, but it may or may not be for you.

edit - I'd also venture to say that you are much more likely to short stroke a pump under stress than the m4 is to malfunction.

edit2 - I forgot that the supernova also has some comfortech stuff ... so it may not recoil that much more. It's been too long since I've shot a supernova to give you a real answer.

I like the Supernova. You can shoot 2 3/4-3 1/2 which in home defence, You can shoot what you have. Zero problems cycling. And 1/3 of the cost of the m4.

Novaking

Amen to that. Just had it at the range with slugs today and it was fairly accurate with slugs at up to 45ish yards or so. works with any load that you can think of and you would have to submerge it in gorilla glue to make it not fire. GREAT GUN! It was cheaper than the 870 i was going to buy too.:D

I really appreciate the input you all have provided. It has been both tremendously helpful and educational. I live in the worst excuse for a city in the free world, Miami, Florida. It is like pulling teeth to find a Benelli dealer who actually has these guns in stock to put your mitts on and to find a gun shop here to provide any measure of personal service.

In fact, an expert at the top police supply store here, in terms of sales (and probably one of the top ones in the universe), was more than willing to order a Benelli for me (and they are in fact a Benelli dealer); however, as I will always need the gun available for home protection, he informed me I will most likely have to send it to Benelli’s American headquarters in Virginia (and he was not even sure if VA was the location) if a problem ever arose and the gun needed to be repaired, because he did not believe anybody down here would be able to repair it. I told him I will just buy a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 at that point in time, in order to ‘hold me over’, if that scenario were ever to occur.

In addition, Benelli’s website is so confusing that only after the input you all provided was I able to figure out what the ‘gig’ is – I think. I knew it was pushing the envelope to think an Italian company could get the whole thing right, but I can overlook this issue as it does not appear to be anything remotely close to egregious, and the Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s on display at the gun show looked like ‘toy store’ guns next to the Benellis.

It appears the Supernova Tactical with the SteadyGrip has the same exact physical specs as the M4. As I was actually able to put my hands on an M4, I shall logically deduce the Supernova has the same feel - not in terms of firing it, but just holding it in my hands.

The M4 is a fantastic gun, and although it is a semi-auto, I am not terribly concerned with the issue of reliability; however, since I intend to use the gun solely for home protection, I am fighting the urge to go overboard (which I am never one to shy away from doing) and instead be practical by buying the Supernova and using the additional money I would have spent on the M4 to buy a handgun or two.

Please feel free to comment on my assessments herein. I am just about impervious to having my feelings hurt so do not be bashful about firing away.

• 4 weeks later...
If interested in a M-3 let me know. I have one available, with a few "extras". The gun is in approximately 99% or better. Good shooting, dependable, and it is pump/semi-auto. That would solve the question pump? Semi-auto?

And it is in North East Fl.

Thanks

Thank you very much for the offer, but I decided to go with the SuperNova tactical.

Well, I had a Super Nova Tactical with the Steadygrip stock and it was great. It would handle any thing I put in it. I wanted a M4 but did not have the money at the time. After I got my M4 I sold my SNT. I sometimes wish I had kept it. Unlike the SNT my M4 could not shoot the low recoil Hornady TAP 00 bucks I was using with it. With my mag ext. on the SNT I could hold 8 rounds with my M4 I can hold 9 if I float one on the carrier. I had a light mounted on both and also a side saddle on both. As far as the racking sound you can also do it on the M4 and it be just as loud. But if you was to ask me which one I like the most I would say my M4.