Sighted in my SN TAC W/red dot

Nikolai552

Well, i ran out of slugs to completely finish sighting in. After my last slug which was 2" high 1" left at about 35ish yards, i just did few elevation clicks and windage clicks to adjust for the error. It is the best it is going to get. 50yards out of that thing is pushing it, I wouldn't wanna try shooting a deer with that at 50 yards. 40ish max. Right before hunting i am going to run 2-3 through it to make sure it is holding where i put it. At 35 yards i WILL hit it, just maybe not exactly where i aimed. Gotta have some room for error with a 18.5" smoothbore.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, i ran out of slugs to completely finish sighting in. After my last slug which was 2" high 1" left at about 35ish yards, i just did few elevation clicks and windage clicks to adjust for the error. It is the best it is going to get. 50yards out of that thing is pushing it, I wouldn't wanna try shooting a deer with that at 50 yards. 40ish max. Right before hunting i am going to run 2-3 through it to make sure it is holding where i put it. At 35 yards i WILL hit it, just maybe not exactly where i aimed. Gotta have some room for error with a 18.5" smoothbore.

What choke are you using?

Novaking

Keep trying Niko...

You sound like a good ethical hunter that wants to make a clean kill.

I would find out the answer to the choke question, and then keep trying different slugs. The smoothbore slug barrel I have on my daughters 1100 Rem 20ga shoots copper solid sabots better than any rifled slug (out to about 60yds).

In response to Duggan: Have you ever tried shooting sabots through a smoothbore??? Based on your post history it sounds like your shooting experience is more about quantity of shots fired rather than quality. Why reply to a post if you don't have anything good to offer (I assume you we're not just kidding when you were ripping on Niko's equipment and my suggestion).

In response to m2slugger, the guy with slugger in his name who apparently doesn't realize that sabot slugs are meant for rifled slug barrels:

Yes, I've shot sabot slugs through my m4, as well as just about every other type of shell you can imagine. I see absolutely no reason to pay 3x the price of rifled slugs for sabot slugs when they offer 0 or negative return in accuracy in a smoothbore barrel. Do you enjoy paying more money to shoot looser groups?

The last time I bothered to shoot slugs comparatively through my m4 was last year. I had 3 types of rifled slugs, 3 types of sabot slugs, my m4 with a cyl choke and an ACOG mounted for the test, a bench, and a target at 50 yards.

My results? The 3 rifled slugs all had pretty much the same pattern, a hefty fist sized group more or less. One of the sabots was almost as good as these 3, and the other 2 were noticably looser in pattern, on the edge of the paper sometimes. I don't remember which brands/models, as this was last summer and I really don't care about slugs.

So I have to ask, have YOU ever tried shooting sabots through a smoothbore? Or do you like to just give bad advice to people? You ask why I reply when I don't have anything good to offer, yet you're telling a new guy to spend $15+/5round box on slugs not made for his weapon that will shoot worse than the $6/box slugs that were. It's laughable.

Quantity more than quality ... I don't even know what you are talking about. Are you suggesting that because I don't hunt, that I somehow don't know how to shoot, or know about my weapon and how it works? What do you think, I just load up my weapon with random stuff and blast away with my eyes closed in any given direction while saying the lords name in vain? Only old man m1014 does that.

Keep trying Niko...

You sound like a good ethical hunter that wants to make a clean kill.

I would find out the answer to the choke question, and then keep trying different slugs. The smoothbore slug barrel I have on my daughters 1100 Rem 20ga shoots copper solid sabots better than any rifled slug (out to about 60yds).

Okay. I will try more rifled slugs and see what i can do. On the list so far is Brenneke, Winchester and Remington.

Good luck Niko...

I'm sorry if I got some controversy going on your thread, but it appears that there will always be someone out there that thinks that they're an expert based on how many posts they have put up, or how many rounds they put through their gun. I like shooting and I LOVE hunting.

Duggan, you say you don't hunt. Then don't try to offer any advice on hunting. Are you not the same person that ripped the originator of this post (on another thread) about how he should go out and spend 5x as much on his optics. Now you are telling us hunters that it's laughable to spend $15 on a box of sabot's, just one of which could down a trophy whitetail.

If you payed any attention to the content of Niko's posts you would know that he is a SLUG HUNTER that is looking to get a tighter group @50 yards. I'm assuming that he's probably spent what he could on his gun and upgrades, and being it is less than 1-1/2 months from opening deer season in MN, he is trying to seek positive advice from other hunters rather than scrambling to find a rifled barrel or buy another gun.

MOST hunters and shooters know that each gun shoots differently, so the way your M4 shoots sabot's means absolutely nothing to me, or to someone shooting a smoothbore Supernova (and by the way... don't you know that your supposed to shoot rifled slugs through a smoothbore?).

Ok big shooter, time for school... Did you bother to think that the sabot's you test shot at the range (that had a comparable group to the rifled slugs) are a different projectile that could impart more penetration, expansion, and velocity to the vitals of a big game critter? So there you go... a hole in a target don't mean squat unless your shooting targets.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that you don't know the difference between quanity & quality. Success for me in the field is shooting once (quality) and bagging an animal (quality), Shooting a thousand rounds (quanity) at a range is not my thing and may provide you with quality entertainment (if not a sore shoulder and empty wallet). It's not my thing though so go knock yourself out.

Don't bother responding please, I don't care to spoil this hunting thread with our exchanges.

I'm going to try and keep this short, but plain and simple you are being stupid, have 0 reading comprehension, and clearly have no idea how slugs work or what their design is.

I never said anything about the terminal ballistics of sabots vs rifled slugs, nor did I say anything about shooting deer or killing with one shot. I did not offer any advice at all about hunting, you are completely fabricating this. I could care less about domestic hunting quite frankly.

Deer hunting seems like just about the most boring prospect on the face of the earth to me. NY is absolutely overrun with deer, I see multiple deer daily in fields or almost getting hit on the roads. If I wanted to kill a deer, I could just sit on my deck any given morning and wait for a herd of them to come into my yard by my pond. Would killing a bunch of dumb defenseless animals give me reason or authority to talk about accuracy? He,ll no, but you seem to think it does for some reason. What animal you are shooting, or how many animals you have bagged has absolutely no relevance to this thread about ACCURACY.

I care about weapon handling, reliability and ACCURACY, which is what this topic is about.

He asked about ACCURACY, I RESPONDED ABOUT ACCURACY. SABOT SLUGS WILL NOT BE MORE ACCURATE THAN RIFLED SLUGS IN A SMOOTHBORE BARREL. The entire point of a sabot is to spin when fired out of a RIFLED BARREL, WHICH IS WHAT GIVES IT BETTER TERMINAL BALLISTICS AND ACCURACY AT LONG RANGE. If you are shooting sabot slugs out of a smoothbore barrel, you are gimping yourself. The rifling on rifled slugs is not very much, but it is enough that it will stabilize the slug a bit and give it an edge over sabots IN A SMOOTHBORE BARREL.

oh, I didn't even see these quotes of genius where you contradict yourself:

"MOST hunters and shooters know that each gun shoots differently, so the way your M4 shoots sabot's means absolutely nothing to me, or to someone shooting a smoothbore Supernova"

Oh really? You don't think there are any parallels between 2 smoothbore barrels from the same manufacturer? DID YOU EVEN KNOW THE M4 IS A SMOOTHBORE? DO YOU REALIZE THE RIFLING ON THE BORE IS LARGELY WHAT MAKES GUNS SHOOT DIFFERENTLY? AND THAT SMOOTH SHOTGUNS HAVE NO RIFLING ON THE BORE? Good logic.

"(and by the way... don't you know that your supposed to shoot rifled slugs through a smoothbore?). "

Yes I obviously know that! I've been saying that from the beginning. YOU DO REALIZE THAT SABOTS ARE NOT RIFLED SLUGS RIGHT? AND THAT YOU TOLD HIM TO SHOOT SABOTS? YOU DO REALIZE THAT RIFLED SLUGS AND RIFLED BARRELS ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS RIGHT?

Take me to school, what a laugh ... How about I take you to school since you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, mr "I think sabot slugs have rifling on them".

BEHOLD THE MODERN SABOT SLUG:

accutip_slug.jpg

Free Image Host

sabot3.jpg

Free Image Hosting

Hey look, there's no rifling! Know why? Because it's meant to be fired out of a RIFLED BARREL, not a smoothbore barrel! WHEN FIRED OUT OF A SMOOTHBORE BARREL THERE IS NOTHING TO START THE ROUND SPINNING, THUS NOTHING TO RETAIN ACCURACY AT RANGE OR TO INCREASE TERMINAL BALLISTICS!

GOD THIS LOGIC STUFF IS HARD.

NOW BEHOLD THE MODERN RIFLED SLUG

rifledslug1.jpg

rifledslug3.jpg

Image host

Hey look, these slugs have rifling on them! It's almost like they were designed specifically for smoothbore barrels that would otherwise have no way to get the slug spinning!

Now in case even this is too much thinking for you to do, let me break it down even further

Rifled Barrel + Smooth Sabot Slug = Win, best performance at longer ranges

Rifled Barrel + Rifled slug = I'm not sure, I've never tried it ... can't imagine it would be great.

Smooth Barrel + Rifled Slug = Best option for smooth bore shotguns, as the rifling on the slug helps stabilize the slug

and now what you suggested

Smooth Barrel + Smooth SABOT Slug = Fail. No real way to get the round spinning, thus no real way to retain accuracy at any type of distance at all. You're spending 3x the price of rifled slugs for no improvement or a detrimental change in accuracy, not to mention less terminal ballistics due to little spin.

But why didn't you know all this, mr big hunter man? Hasn't all of your "one shot on kill" animal killing taught you anything about the design of the firearm you're shooting? Of course it hasn't.

That being said, sabots WILL provide better range and terminal ballistics if they are fired FROM A RIFLED BARREL as they are designed to be. Firing them from a SMOOTHBORE barrel will provide neither, which is what YOU told him to do, and are now defending like a fool.

Maybe you should learn what you are talking about and do some testing yourself before you start telling other people what to do.

edit: and I was just teasing him about his optic from what he has posted in another thread. I never said "HEY NIKO YOU NEED A 600 DOLLAR RED DOT TO HIT STUFF AT 50 YARDS. He came into the thread and said "I DUNNO WHY ANYONE WOULD EVER SPEND SO MUCH MONEY ON A SCOPE". Big difference.

edit2: I'm not telling anyone what to do with their guns. If you enjoy doing something, by all means, do it. But when someone makes a thread asking how to improve something, don't give advice that will only worsen the original posters problems. You're only spreading misinformation and not helping anyone. Carry on.

Serious Business.