M4 receiver wear over time

Duggan

I've had multiple people ask me about this, so I figured I'd repost some pictures I took for another thread.

21136432.jpg

3a8a05b3.jpg

I have about 11k through my gun, always keeping things pretty well lubricated.

This is how your gun will wear in if you shoot it enough.

Keep some oil on the places you see bare metal to prevent this from happening to your gun for as long as possible. It doesn't hurt anything really, but there is no reason to cause premature wear to your firearm when it can be greatly slowed by lubing up the bolt carrier a bit.

c3df5a46.jpg

I wasn't kidding about the gallon of breakfree :)

edit: yea, I have some moly grease that I've used from time to time ... I dunno.

I've been thinking about getting some of this stuff, it's supposedly really good, and seems to be the best of both worlds.

Gun Butter:

http://www.mstn.biz/index.php?option=com_joomla_store&jStore=product_info&Itemid=27&cPath=8_31&products_id=240&Itemid=59&jStoreid=3a93573f122f2c58068e2ec5657a484

• 5 weeks later...

My main question is whether this will lead to inaccuracy with slugs ect. I am not talking about the bolt carrier rail wear, but rather the barrel tang where it slides into the reciever wearing the reciever. Will this allow movement of the barrel and cause erratic grouping when using slugs? Mine seems to look similar to yours with only 500 rounds through it. I think it is more a function of removing/replacing the barrel than shooting it. I clean after every session.

OR

Is proper locating/tension/snugness supplied to the barrel by the end cap pressing the barrel against the reciever, rather than fitting snugly inside of the reciever?

I have to admit, Im new to shotguns and have a supernova, not an M4. First off, I noticed the area of the chamber you are speaking of is devoid of the triad "gold spots" I have at roughly the exact same area. Feel good about this. With the barrel removed on my shotty, I see 3 bare spots of gold colored metal..somewhat equalateral in location. According to Benelli, this is normal. Pfft. Now..on to your shotty. Once again, according to Benelli, this area tends to get worn away regardless. This, according to them, is due to the continual removal/re-insertion of the barrel. They say this is normal and should not effect accuracy nor reliability. I noticed you said that you use a CLP...have you considered WeaponShield? I use it, based on reputation, on all of my guns. In terms of using grease, I would think that, unless you attend to this area regularly, grease would tend to become "gummy" or slopped up with residue. Personally, Im not a big fan of grease as it tends to stick around (no pun intended) too long and accumulates way too much crap.

If worse comes to worse, think about having this area re-coated. But, be forewarned, I have tried that route with Benelli for my shotgun issue and they do not consider it a defect of any sort. Again, Im no expert, but if the barrel is mating well with the receiver, I really cant see how your accuracy will suffer. It looks like the finish is wearing out..not the metal. If, once you securely reassemble the barrel to the receiver and you notice no "play", I wouldnt worry about it. After all, this isnt a $10,000+ sniper rifle we are talking about!! Just keep it lubed well in order to prevent the rust thing.

I have to admit, Im new to shotguns and have a supernova, not an M4. First off, I noticed the area of the chamber you are speaking of is devoid of the triad "gold spots" I have at roughly the exact same area. Feel good about this, with the barrel removed on my shotty, I see 3 bare spots of gold colored metal..somewhat equalateral in location. According to Benelli, this is normal. Pfft. Now..on to your shotty. Once again, according to Benelli, this area tends to get worn away regardless. This, according to them, is the continual removal/re-insertion of the barrel. They say this is normal and should not effect accuracy nor reliability. I noticed you said that you use a CLP...have you considered WeaponShield? I use it, based on reputation, on all of my guns. In terms of using grease, I would think that, unless you attend to this area regularly, that grease would tend to become "gummy" or slopped up with residue. Personally, Im not a big fan of grease as it tends to stick around (no pun intended) too long and accumulates way too much crap.

If worse comes to worse, think about having this area re-coated. But, be forewarned, I have tried that route with Benelli for my shotgun issue and they do not consider it a defect of any sort. Again, Im no expert, but if the barrel is mating well with the receiver, I really cant see how your accuracy will suffer. It looks like the finish is wearing out..not the metal. If, once you securely reassemble the barrel to the receiver and you notice no "play", I wouldnt worry about it. After all, this isnt a $10,000+ sniper rifle we are talking about!! Just keep it lubed well in order to prevent the rust thing.

Aluminum will not rust.

As to weapon-shield, I have tried it, and it is a pretty good lube and I love the smell of it.

That being said, as a rust preventative it isn't so hot (then again, this rec. is aluminum, but the bolt carrier is still rust-able). I am a fan of RIG+P with a few drops of BF CLP floated on top of it. THis will not gum up very much at all compared to most greases you are familiar with. When RIG heats up, it almost turns liquid.

I just know how big of a difference pinning a barrel will make, and wonder if this tolerance opening up will make a difference too. (not in a good way).

Aluminum will not rust.

As to weapon-shield, I have tried it, and it is a pretty good lube and I love the smell of it.

That being said, as a rust preventative it isn't so hot (then again, this rec. is aluminum, but the bolt carrier is still rust-able). I am a fan of RIG+P with a few drops of BF CLP floated on top of it. THis will not gum up very much at all compared to most greases you are familiar with. When RIG heats up, it almost turns liquid.

I just know how big of a difference pinning a barrel will make, and wonder if this tolerance opening up will make a difference too. (not in a good way).

Oops, I keep forgetting these Benellis have the aluminum thing going. I apologize for that. In terms of WeaponShield not being a capable rust preventative, I must disagree. Now products like Militec-1, I choose to remain dubious! However, I shoot my guns regularly and keep them clean..so maybe I havent put this to the test yet. However, since I shy away from grease, WS simply seems to outperform everything else I have tried up to this point. Frankly, Im getting sick of trying new products, lol. Besides, if I plan on storing ANY weapon for more than 6 months w/o firing or cleaning it, I just stick it in a Z-Corr VCI bag!!

In all seriousness though, Duggan, I would just contact Benelli, send them the photos and take it from there. Now, Im sure the last thing they want to say is that "yes, our weapons wear out easily and therefore, tend to become inaccurate". However, it may be a good starting point for you in terms of defining how serious of a problem this is..or isnt, as the case may be. Course, for guys like me who have a shotty for encounters 10-12 yards or less, this kind of stuff isnt much of a concern. Either way, good luck man. It will be just fine.

Aluminum will not rust.

Aluminum will oxidies ( I didn't spell that right) which is what rust is. It just won't turn that rust color or "rust away" like steel.

Oops, I keep forgetting these Benellis have the aluminum thing going. I apologize for that. In terms of WeaponShield not being a capable rust preventative, I must disagree. Now products like Militec-1, I choose to remain dubious! However, I shoot my guns regularly and keep them clean..so maybe I havent put this to the test yet. However, since I shy away from grease, WS simply seems to outperform everything else I have tried up to this point. Frankly, Im getting sick of trying new products, lol. Besides, if I plan on storing ANY weapon for more than 6 months w/o firing or cleaning it, I just stick it in a Z-Corr VCI bag!!

I tested WS against other CLP's with salt-water. It did not do so hot. Better than rem-oil and Militec 1 (horrible) but not nearly as good as Breakfree CLP. I sent George Fennel a run-down of the test and he said it was a very harsh test, but good info.

I tested WS against other CLP's with salt-water. It did not do so hot. Better than rem-oil and Militec 1 (horrible) but not nearly as good as Breakfree CLP. I sent George Fennel a run-down of the test and he said it was a very harsh test, but good info.

Interesting...from what I gather, BF CLP is a Fennel product... as is WS. I have heard conflicting reports on BF..some good, some not so good. Either way, they both seem to be better than average when it comes down to it. In terms of the salt-water test..again, interesting. However, all of my weapons are stored inside the home with very little exposure to harsh elements. Therefore, I certainly dont require the "against all odds" protection needed by those in the military, for instance. But, thanks for the info, nonetheless. Whether using Breakfree or WeaponShield..I think we can both feel relatively confident in our choice(s)!!

In all seriousness though, Duggan, I would just contact Benelli, send them the photos and take it from there. Now, Im sure the last thing they want to say is that "yes, our weapons wear out easily and therefore, tend to become inaccurate". However, it may be a good starting point for you in terms of defining how serious of a problem this is..or isnt, as the case may be. Course, for guys like me who have a shotty for encounters 10-12 yards or less, this kind of stuff isnt much of a concern. Either way, good luck man. It will be just fine.

I wasn't complaining about my wear, or worried about it.

It has not affected accuracy (that I can tell), fit, or performance in any way shape or form.

I was posting this simply to show the various M4 users on this board what their receiver will look like after awhile, and to encourage proper lubrication to slow this wearing process.

Thanks for the input though. If anything does seriously start to go wrong, you can bet I'll be contacting Benelli Customer service for the first time :)

It basically means "that'll do" or "I get what you are saying". :)

Oh, and here I thought it meant settling for sub-standard. I try so hard every day to NEVER say "That'll do" in relation to something I am doing or trying to achieve. I much prefer. "That can do no better." :cool:

-OCD/Perfectionist

Hence why I spent $2200+ on a defensive shotgun. I have some genetic pre-disposition against compromise.

Oh, and here I thought it meant settling for sub-standard. I try so hard every day to NEVER say "That'll do" in relation to something I am doing or trying to achieve. I much prefer. "That can do no better." :cool:

-OCD/Perfectionist

Hence why I spent $2200+ on a defensive shotgun. I have some genetic pre-disposition against compromise.

I understand what you mean. BTW- $2200+ on a defense shotty? I guess that makes my $420+ supernova tame by comparison! I am hoping the only "compromise" I have made relates to price/practicality!! After all, in comparison, a Glock is no Sig Sauer (which I happen to own), but even at half the price, a Glock will do just as much damage as any Sig. However, like you, I didnt feel like compromising. Unfortunately, I chose to spend the $$$$ on a high end pistol, thus sacrificing the necessary funds for a comparable shotgun. But, from what I understand, the supernova tactical is no slouch!! Either way, I will try to work on my slang phrases!!

I understand what you mean. BTW- $2200+ on a defense shotty? I guess that makes my $420+ supernova tame by comparison! I am hoping the only "compromise" I have made relates to price/practicality!! After all, in comparison, a Glock is no Sig Sauer (which I happen to own), but even at half the price, a Glock will do just as much damage as any Sig. However, like you, I didnt feel like compromising. Unfortunately, I chose to spend the $$$$ on a high end pistol, thus sacrificing the necessary funds for a comparable shotgun. But, from what I understand, the supernova tactical is no slouch!! Either way, I will try to work on my slang phrases!!

I have owned: Sig 226 Elite ST, Les Baer TRS, and shot Glocks, H&K USP's, FN's, ect.

I currently do not own a pistol, but if I buy another one, it will be a .40 H&K USP, simply for the fact that I love the USP, how it shoots, handles, and the fact that if you take the front and back of the frame in your hands and twist it won't warp like a Glock (Try that with a glock, no permanent damage done, but it doesn't make me FEEL good.).

The TRS was, however, stoopid accurate. Just -1 for reliability. Dad got a nice christmas present (Since he will use it exclusively for the range, 3" at 50 yard guarantee means more than FTRB's in the first 500-1000 rounds).

The SIG: Broke takedown lever (SIG replaced for free) at around 600 round mark. Had FTE's all the way to 1,000 rounds even using Ranger T and Speer LE GD loads. Sent it back to SIG AGAIN, and they polished/function tested. I never trusted it after that, even if they said it was fixed and fired 50 rounds of GDHP through it. It probably WAS fixed. I sold it after relating the story to the buyer.

Like I say, money doesn't always mean the best...but usually it does if you spend it wisely. I remain a solid USP fan when it comes to pistols. I will say Glock's have the least muzzle-flip of anything I have shot through, comparing the same calibers, even if they weigh a lot less.

No luck with the Sig, eh? Weird...they have such a strong reputation for quality. As with any man-made product, there is bound to be a lemon every now and then. Personally, I am a huge fan of the P220. Based on what I know, the P220 is the most reliable pistol Sig Sauer sells. I will probably purchase roughly 3 or 4 more over my lifetime as I love the .45 and really have no use for any other caliber. I also think a Springfield Armory .45 will be among my future considerations.

No luck with the Sig, eh? Weird...they have such a strong reputation for quality. As with any man-made product, there is bound to be a lemon every now and then. Personally, I am a huge fan of the P220. Based on what I know, the P220 is the most reliable pistol Sig Sauer sells. I will probably purchase roughly 3 or 4 more over my lifetime as I love the .45 and really have no use for any other caliber. I also think a Springfield Armory .45 will be among my future considerations.

Actually, SIG is currently bottom of the barrel imho for QC. WHen Kimber's exec. took over there and they came out with a different model for every day of the year, their rock-solid QC and relaibility took a HUGE nose-dive. I would trust a Glock any day over a (current production) SIG when it comes to going Boom.

go to www.sigforum.com and look at all the complaints. It is unreal.

Our benelli forum has maybe 1 legit complaint per 20-30 posts MAX, seems like every other one over there is a post about a lemon or something.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/430601935

Here, that is page one of their Pistol forum. STAY AWAY FROM SIGS! (they rust like a mofo too, look at them in the display cases at sporting goods stores. Likely as not, the Sig will be the only rusty gun there, look on the barrel, and barrel hood for the most likely areas). Horrible how many QC issues pop up on just page one, huh?

Actually, SIG is currently bottom of the barrel imho for QC. WHen Kimber's exec. took over there and they came out with a different model for every day of the year, their rock-solid QC and relaibility took a HUGE nose-dive. I would trust a Glock any day over a (current production) SIG when it comes to going Boom.

go to www.sigforum.com and look at all the complaints. It is unreal.

Our benelli forum has maybe 1 legit complaint per 20-30 posts MAX, seems like every other one over there is a post about a lemon or something.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/430601935

Here, that is page one of their Pistol forum. STAY AWAY FROM SIGS! (they rust like a mofo too, look at them in the display cases at sporting goods stores. Likely as not, the Sig will be the only rusty gun there, look on the barrel, and barrel hood for the most likely areas). Horrible how many QC issues pop up on just page one, huh?

I will check it out. Havent had any rust issues yet. So, when did this "Kimber" guy become Sig Sauer exec? My Sig P220 was manufactured in Feb of this year. So far, it seems up to the usual Sig standards. Now, as far as the newer/trendier Sig models, I cant say. Seems like the P220 line has ALWAYS been a cut above. Most forums I have read indicate this... in regards to the P220, that is. BTW, isnt the slide assembly made in the US, with the frame being manufactured outside of the US...Germany, maybe? Or is it Switzerland..I can never remember. I think the gun is Swiss in design, but actually made in Germany. Well, at least the frame anyway.

Either way, if what you say is true, its a damn shame. Sigs have been top class for quite a while, with the P220, I believe, being their "flagship" model. Regardless, I still love my Sig and as I mentioned b4, have no real need to try other calibers in the Sig line. Hopefully, if you are right about QA issues, they will do whatever is necessary to move back to "first in line"...so to speak. Since you seem like an opinionated sort, what do you think of the Springfield Armory .45's? So far, I havent heard too many complaints and it has been said, these guns are one helluva good bargain. Thoughts?