Adding Weight to Ultra-Light?

NewShootingGal

I am about to buy my first shotgun and really like the Benelli Ultra-Light. It will be used mainly for sporting clays, with some upland and waterfowl hunting added in. That will change over the year and I will be doing more hunting. Next year I will get a dedicated clays gun, when I have a better idea of what I want for a clays gun. I have been told that a heavier gun is better for sporting clays, but the UltraLight feels the best of the guns I've looked at so far, and I really like the feel of it for the hunting I will be doing. Would it be advisable to add weight to the gun when I shoot clays? Is there a way to temporarily add weight without making major modifications? Is that just a stupid idea to begin with?

BTW-I've looked at Beretta 391 (Urika & Teknys), 3901. Benelli M2, Montefeltro, Sport & Supersport & Ultra-Light. Franchi I12. Remington 1100 & 11-87.

While I'm nowhere near an expert when it comes to competetive clay shooting of any kind, I have to say that confidence in your gun makes a big difference. If it fits and just naturally goes where you want it you're a step ahead. I'm not sure what to tell you about adding weight to an Ultra Light but I think it would be a detraction from what it was meant to be. I'm a recent BIG fan of the Ultra Light when it comes to hunting. I've been shooting an SBE for several years and have been totally satisfied. Found a used Ultra Light recently and couldn't resist. Now I have one shotgun dedicated for upland and one for waterfowl. If you like to hunt and aren't bothered by 12 gauge recoil I think you'll be very happy with the Ultra Light. Use it as it is for now and get your dedicated clay gun later.

P.S. Welcome to the Benelli forums and the best sporting shotguns ever made.

Ha ha - recoil, that undefinable force some feel and others don't. Depending on which 12 I'm shooting, I'm not bothered by recoil. BUT, Some women find the UL has no recoil, others find it kicks horribly. Same w/the Montefeltro, Beretta, well... you get the picture. I haven't had a chance to shoot the UL, but it is the only gun I've handled, including those I've shot, that just felt good. I figure a limbsaver should help with recoil.

Ha ha - recoil, that undefinable force some feel and others don't. Depending on which 12 I'm shooting, I'm not bothered by recoil. BUT, Some women find the UL has no recoil, others find it kicks horribly. Same w/the Montefeltro, Beretta, well... you get the picture. I haven't had a chance to shoot the UL, but it is the only gun I've handled, including those I've shot, that just felt good. I figure a limbsaver should help with recoil.

I 6 pound gun will recoil more than 7 or 8 pound guns. Thats just the way it is. Gas gun recoil less but MOST of them weight more them others to. People (just not woman) are sensitive to recoil. Some more sensitive,some less. The gun as the same amount of recoil.

If you shoe fits, wear it. Buy a really good shooting vest and I say blast away. If I could I would buy a UL in the heartbeat and I would shoot the h$%$ out of it.

Good luck with your purchace and let us know what out buy.

Novaking

From what I've been able to tell, the physics of actual recoil have little to do with felt recoil. I know a woman who thought the M2 had horrible recoil, but that the UL had little to none with the same shells. I've heard similar stories from men & women with a variety of guns; but most often from other women.

The m2 that the "lady'' shot might not have fit her as well as the UL. That will have a big differance on the recoil she was recieving. I think the UL and the M2 are the same on the inside so I don't know why recoil would be more in the m2 than the UL. If she shot the M2 first then the UL. The UL might be "less recoil" because she might have been used to the recoil in the first place.

I've just heard the UL has more recoil than others due to the light weight and its inertia driven. The recoil of the gun is the same. Its doesn't matter there is an 80 pound kid or a 220 pound adult. They handle the recoil different but not the gun.

Novaking

If I'm reading correctly, you are more concerned with the smoother swings and faster second target acquisition associated with a heavier gun than you are with felt recoil.

That being the case, adding some weight to the Ultralight may give you some benefit on the clays, but you'll also want to take balance into account.

Since the UL is an Inertia-operated system you'll also want to insure that the system will still cycle properly with the added weight.

Mercury recoil reducers are available in several forms.

One that adds weight to the front end can be screwed on in place of the magazine cap.

Others fit within the magazine, replacing the factory limiter plug, and tend to add weight to the middle section, affecting overall balance a little less.

Finally, you could add weight in the buttstock area. A mass-produced mercury reducer for the buttstock is not available for the UL, but it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt and modify something to work.

Also, your overall build and fitness level are to be considered.

If you are more of a ballerina type, then a 6 lb. gun may easily equate to an 8 lb. gun in the hands of man of average build, so in that respect, the weight may feel adequate enough to maintain a smooth swing.

If you are built more like Janet Reno, then you'll probably find the Ultra Light to feel indeed light as a feather.

http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/