Bruised shoulder... huge grin!

Domonlord

Whipped out my Benelli M4 for the first time. Had some slugs.... some 00 buckshot... and some light target rounds for shooting trap.

I decided to go heavy stuff first as I heard the pistons sometimes need a run or two with heavy loads before cycling light stuff properly.

Well... let's just say this is the first time I've fired a shotgun before. Loaded the first slug... and blasted right through the tree that the target was on.... and blasting through a second tree before getting stopped by the backstop (huge dirt mound)

Huge grin on my face as I then decided to fire off several more boxes. Ended up stringing 5 rapid fire slugs in a row before my shoulder was killing me lol.

Now I have a question.... does 00 Buckshot recoil less than the slugs? After a short break, I could rapidfire 8 buckshot shells without flinching or hesitating while shooting on target. Was my shoulder just numb/bruised or was it because it's less recoil?

And shooting trap for the first time... was laughable. It took me 30+ clays before I realized I had to lead well in front of the clay target to blast them. Managed to hit 5 in a row before the day was over!

All in all... I love me some shotgun fun!

Nice, sounds like a great first time.

OO generally has less felt recoil than slugs, it's true. At least I always thought so.

As you get better with your gun, you'll get bruised and hurt less. Keep the pad locked in tight to your shoulder, and lean forward when you shoot as much as you can comfortably.

If you're not running a collapsible stock, the eotech will be too high to use and still maintain a cheekweld.

If you shoot in the middle collapsed position like I used to, it's perfect with a larue mount to raise it a bit.

But if you're running a full length stock, you won't be able to use the eotech very well. It's too high.

Your best options for a low mount red dot atm are these 2, IMO.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=149

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=68

Expensive many will say, but you get what you pay for. But you already know that. You bought an M4 as your first shotgun :)

If you're not running a collapsible stock, the eotech will be too high to use and still maintain a cheekweld.

If you shoot in the middle collapsed position like I used to, it's perfect with a larue mount to raise it a bit.

But if you're running a full length stock, you won't be able to use the eotech very well. It's too high.

Your best options for a low mount red dot atm are these 2, IMO.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=149

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=68

Expensive many will say, but you get what you pay for. But you already know that. You bought an M4 as your first shotgun :)

Anyway I can see those reticles?

The reason I really wanted an Eotech was because I love their 65 moa circle with a 1 moa dot. It seems like it'll let me shoot slugs accurately with the 1 moa dot... and the 65 moa circle would help with rapid acquisition. I thought I saw several pictures of guys with normal stocked M4s with Eotechs on. Maybe I was just dreaming. :(