Just moved to Minn.

Chessie Dog

What area of Minnesota are you in? I live in the cities but usually hunt up near my dad's between Fergus Falls and Alexandria. I actually haven't hunted waterfowl but would like to get into it. The lake my dad lives on has no public access so I don't think anyone hunts it much. He would let you on and if I'm free I'd be happy to go with you. He and I plan to hunt it this fall. In general though that area would be a good place to go - tons of public land and less people.

Do you ever hunt pheasant? That's really my passion - a lot of the WMAs have a lot of great pheasant land too.

Welcome to Minnesota!

Paul

The Land of 10,000 Lakes (actually closer to 15 thousand) has a lot of flowages, rivers, and watersheds- certainly not like the old pre-tiling and drainage days when there were 10's of thousands of sloughs and watersheds, (mostly on the west and south quadrants of the state) but most of the water left-- and that's a lot--has public access.

Public access is important to Minnesotans and the MN Dept. of Natural Resources hunting book will show a lot of the WMA's, state areas, and other public hunting opportunities. Usually you can mix other bird hunting into a day at those WMA's. Check out their web site too.

Some highlights: West side of state, Lac Qui Parle Refuge is just one highlight. Open to waterfowl hunting; as many as 150,000 Canadian geese bunch up there on the way south. The whole area north and south of the Minnesota River is duck country.

North: Lake Winnebigosh, Leech Lake (75,000 acres) and countless other regional lakes. Look for public hunting access areas on numerous smaller lakes and flowages near those big lakes as they on are the historical Mississippi flyway and they still attract a lot of ducks passing through. At one time the best inland diver duck hunting anywhere on the planet was here. Still can be very good.

East: Mississippi and flowages, anywhere south of Stillwater (very close to Twin Cities) also St. Croix River. Federal access areas- you can hunt most of the river, lots of public access ramps, and they are loaded with ducks, if you time your hunts. Puddlers as well as divers. Great species diversity here.

I could go on and on, but a waterfowler can do a lot worse than moving to Minnesota! Good luck and happy hunting.

I live south of the cities in Northfield.

Thanks for the public lands info, I'll run up to Gander Mtn. and get a map. I did actually get my ND license for water fowl and sandhill crane. I hope to start getting a few places to try soon. Didn't get much opportunity last fall while planning on the move up.

Welcome to the land of 10,000 taxes...

You should be able to find some friend's there in the South Metro that could point you in the right direction. I'm not big on MN duck's & geese since the flyway has seemed to slide farther West over the years, but the prairie pothole region still holds local birds and will take in the fly-by's when the weather is right. If it's not, then take to the upland and shoot some rooster's :cool:.

If it's too late for you to hook up with someone this year, let me know and I can put you in touch with an awesome guide for Southeast, ND waterfowl, and SD Pheasant (and some Kick-A** fishing).

Welcome to the land of 10,000 taxes...

You should be able to find some friend's there in the South Metro that could point you in the right direction. I'm not big on MN duck's & geese since the flyway has seemed to slide farther West over the years, but the prairie pothole region still holds local birds and will take in the fly-by's when the weather is right. If it's not, then take to the upland and shoot some rooster's :cool:.

If it's too late for you to hook up with someone this year, let me know and I can put you in touch with an awesome guide for Southeast, ND waterfowl, and SD Pheasant (and some Kick-A** fishing).