Oiling SBII

NJgunner

As you guys know i've had jamming issues only on the first shot when using my gun. Anyone have a step by step of what needs oiling? I know how to disassemble the gun and from my understanding the only thing that needs oiling are bolt rails and recoil tube. Ive been using CLP and wondered maybe I should use the supplied oil that came with the gun. Also do you guys lube the ejector slide/spring on the inside of the barell? When I do have problems with the gun jamming on first **** it fails to eject the round and i have to pull it out. Im going to try different ammo.

search feature works?

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81045&postcount=2 this is more info than you would get from most gunsmiths and probably a much better cleaning job by using tuckers tutorial!

http://www.benelliusa.com/customer-service/

try some quality lubrication such as hoppes, militec, never use more than a drop or 2 when oiling things and wipe off excess. do not like CLP it's a 3 in 1 product and it just does not work for me! i use a midas grease in a few places, it's a browning product and works good on slides and at the back of the bolt group where the link hits the reciever.

Benellis are particular to crappy ammo so that should fix most of your problem!

search feature works?

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81045&postcount=2 this is more info than you would get from most gunsmiths and probably a much better cleaning job by using tuckers tutorial!

http://www.benelliusa.com/customer-service/

try some quality lubrication such as hoppes, militec, never use more than a drop or 2 when oiling things and wipe off excess. do not like CLP it's a 3 in 1 product and it just does not work for me! i use a midas grease in a few places, it's a browning product and works good on slides and at the back of the bolt group where the link hits the reciever.

Benellis are particular to crappy ammo so that should fix most of your problem!

Thanks for your input! I actually got the recoil tube spring out and cleaned all that with a cloth 20 gauge end. I put a few drops of clp inside there and cleaned, light lube on the spring.. i sprayed out the ejector slide on the inside of the barell with some cleaner and then two drops clp while working it up and down with a screwdriver. I have use militec before on my handguns and didnt like it as much as CLP, I beleive they are both very similiar. I know the miltary uses clp and if they are using it on their m4 carbines and m4 shotguns its good enough for me! What was your bad experience with it and how good do you think the oil that came with the gun is? I actually wear nitrile gloves when cleaning and something like the bolt where u have a few different parts to oil i put a few drops and spread it out with my hands that way its not visibly wet. then when its back together i wipe it off with a rag

http://www.militec.com/video/militec.html i do not use CLP because, how can it clean lubricate and protect all at the same time? just seems to me ya wanta a good solvent, good lubricant and proper technique to do the cleaning and lubricating correctly! i still use grease and oil in places but i also use militec! solvents mixed with oil just does not do too much for me! this article above had nothing to do with me using militec, i always use a solvent where needed and always use lint free cloths brushes and picks! Had to qualify for 20 years and always had to clean the dirty weapon, be it a long gun or pistol! If your cleaning is good to go you might wanta change ammo like mentioned and see if it solves your issue and if not get back with Benelli!:)

Thanks again hog...lets hope it was just that ammo,maybe a defective box or lot..its just strange it happened 4 different times only on the first shot all shots after were fine. I do have a bottle of militec so I could try that. As i mentioned i put some on my rubber gloves and rub the bolt head but the bolt railsi put 1 or 1 drops and spread it around... a few in the recoil tube itself. I do find that if i pull the bolt back and push it forward instead of releasing sometimes it catches back and you have to push it forward, I know in the field you always wanna let the bolt slam shut but is your gun like that too?

after watching the thing go into battery you can tell if it's home! i normally do push the release button but always check to make sure it did not bounce outta battery! sometimes i just check myself by pulling it back a tad and pushing it back to battery! did ya find tuckers tutorial? it goes over everything pretty well!

:confused:Joined today to let you know I had the same problem. Mine took three trips back to benelli and finally got the big boys at basspro to do some calling to fix mine. With a new polished bolt and a new trigger assembly mine works fine now. I tried all the different oils too and thats not the problem. I would call the folks at benelli and let them know whats going on. I hope your dealer backs you as good as bass pro did me. Good luck and I think benelli can fix your problem. By the way mine hated federals too.

:confused:Joined today to let you know I had the same problem. Mine took three trips back to benelli and finally got the big boys at basspro to do some calling to fix mine. With a new polished bolt and a new trigger assembly mine works fine now. I tried all the different oils too and thats not the problem. I would call the folks at benelli and let them know whats going on. I hope your dealer backs you as good as bass pro did me. Good luck and I think benelli can fix your problem. By the way mine hated federals too.

Mine fired federal buckshot 3.5" without any problems thank good I Would be alot more mad if i missed a nice buck rather than the ammo that jams for pheasants. Im going to try different ammo and see if its alright, unfortunately I bought this is philly PA and I live at the jersey shore so its a long hike to take gun back to dealer, all he's gonna do is mail it to benelli i could probably do that myself through ups

Hope the new shells work. Mine didn't. I've heard of a few more people with the same problem. Benelli fixed mine but a buddy of mine actually got his gun replaced. They could never get his figured out. The bolt shouldn't stick open. I personally think we had a tolerance problem and the new trigger assembly and polishing the bolt fixed mine. Alot of these guns don't ever get oiled and work fine. I dont think the oil is the problem either.

Hope the new shells work. Mine didn't. I've heard of a few more people with the same problem. Benelli fixed mine but a buddy of mine actually got his gun replaced. They could never get his figured out. The bolt shouldn't stick open. I personally think we had a tolerance problem and the new trigger assembly and polishing the bolt fixed mine. Alot of these guns don't ever get oiled and work fine. I dont think the oil is the problem either.

Even your new one though, if you work the bolt open and instead of letting it close by itself, if you push it shut like open/shut a bunch of times can you lock the bolt back?

NJGunner,

I'd highly recommend that you send your new gun back in. I had jamming problems with my brand new SBEII & tried different oil & ammo - only to have continued, repetitive problems. I waited for the end of duck season to send it in & it took several weeks, but they replaced a few parts & adjusted a few others. It was highly frustrating for me & I actually wished I had sent the gun in sooner. So far (with about 3 boxes shot), there have been no problems. I suspect Benelli quality has gone down with mass production, but I only know my experience, what I read & what I hear. See: New SBE Disappointment & Rust on my benelli. Thanks

Even your new one though, if you work the bolt open and instead of letting it close by itself, if you push it shut like open/shut a bunch of times can you lock the bolt back?
Mine is way smoother than before with no problems so far. The bolt should not hang open until the last shot is fired. I'd save myself some time and get the gun back to benelli. This problem is not only aggravating but is also dangerous.

Mine is way smoother than before with no problems so far. The bolt should not hang open until the last shot is fired. I'd save myself some time and get the gun back to benelli. This problem is not only aggravating but is also dangerous.

What I mean is when you pull the bolt back and instead of releasing it PUSH it forward if you go back and forth a bunch of times sometimes it hangs up and you have to give a good push for it to go forward. Im going to try the new ammo before sending it back to benelli. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for your help guys

What I mean is when you pull the bolt back and instead of releasing it PUSH it forward if you go back and forth a bunch of times sometimes it hangs up and you have to give a good push for it to go forward. Im going to try the new ammo before sending it back to benelli. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for your help guys
Mine did exactly that. Save yourself time and money and let the warrenty cover it. I spent over a month changeing oil and shells. If the gun is right it will fire anything 3 drams and up. And mine does fine with almost any kind of gun oil since they replaced my trigger assembly and polished the bolt and rails. Good luck and keep us informed

Mine did exactly that. Save yourself time and money and let the warrenty cover it. I spent over a month changeing oil and shells. If the gun is right it will fire anything 3 drams and up. And mine does fine with almost any kind of gun oil since they replaced my trigger assembly and polished the bolt and rails. Good luck and keep us informed

Before I send it back I just wanna try Remington shells. I got these federals from cheaperthandirt.com and maybe its a bad box who knows. If it jams first shot on these Rems,Ill send it back immediately. Im going to have to figure out how to ship it. Probably take it to UPS right? The gun store is 1 1/2 hours from my house.

Boys here is what I did to mine after a tare apart to the bones cleaning and lubing.

When I would pull the bolt back and forth there was a spot in that distance that would have a slight hang up. It wasn't so bad that it would not finish the cycle. I lubed the bolt rails with some STOS gun lube I use on my trap guns. Then I hand cycled the dang thing about 100 times and now it is as smooth as can be. It cycles the lightest of trap loads no problem now.

Now lets talk about the Benelli click. My particular bolt had a larger than normal lip on it where the bolt is turned when it slams shut in the barrel. I cleaned that up a little and lubed where the bolt mates the barrel and the famous click is not there anymore.

One thing I think would help a bunch is to take your gun apart and try and figure out and understand how everything is suppose to work. Once you get that done, some of these issues will disapear.

I personally think changing the ammo is a crock of sh!t if you know what I mean. I have seen every different kind of ammo shot out of these things with no problems.

I guess that's why they think they need broke in. I brake mine in at home on the bench. I did notice that mine would throw the spent shells a lot farther than my buddies and they were purchased about the same time.

Got any questions, I will help as much as I can

Boys here is what I did to mine after a tare apart to the bones cleaning and lubing.

When I would pull the bolt back and forth there was a spot in that distance that would have a slight hang up. It wasn't so bad that it would not finish the cycle. I lubed the bolt rails with some STOS gun lube I use on my trap guns. Then I hand cycled the dang thing about 100 times and now it is as smooth as can be. It cycles the lightest of trap loads no problem now.

Now lets talk about the Benelli click. My particular bolt had a larger than normal lip on it where the bolt is turned when it slams shut in the barrel. I cleaned that up a little and lubed where the bolt mates the barrel and the famous click is not there anymore.

One thing I think would help a bunch is to take your gun apart and try and figure out and understand how everything is suppose to work. Once you get that done, some of these issues will disapear.

I personally think changing the ammo is a crock of sh!t if you know what I mean. I have seen every different kind of ammo shot out of these things with no problems.

I guess that's why they think they need broke in. I brake mine in at home on the bench. I did notice that mine would throw the spent shells a lot farther than my buddies and they were purchased about the same time.

Got any questions, I will help as much as I can

Thanks! These bolt rails seem to like a decent amount of oil eh? I hate putting alot becuase it attracts dirt :(