WTB IWC Scout Mount

m4prime

• 3 weeks later...

Have you guys considered the Briley handguard? I have it on mine and it is awesome. I was skeptical of getting it, but I just went for it and bought the 13" one, and man I'm so glad I did. Could be an option for you guys. It has about 56 M Lok slots (13" model) and what I like the most about it is that you can do a c-grip and wrap your hand around the top because the guard wraps up around the top of the barrel and you can get a good grip without ever touching the barrel, which is something I hated about the factory forend, you have to wear gloves or shoot while holding the factory forend which over long sessions started to tweak my wrist. I have about 500 rounds give or take through my M4 with this forend mounted and it is holding up great, I haven't had any issues with it. Just an option to consider.   

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 2:50 PM, John Doe said:

Have you guys considered the Briley handguard? I have it on mine and it is awesome. I was skeptical of getting it, but I just went for it and bought the 13" one, and man I'm so glad I did. Could be an option for you guys. It has about 56 M Lok slots (13" model) and what I like the most about it is that you can do a c-grip and wrap your hand around the top because the guard wraps up around the top of the barrel and you can get a good grip without ever touching the barrel, which is something I hated about the factory forend, you have to wear gloves or shoot while holding the factory forend which over long sessions started to tweak my wrist. I have about 500 rounds give or take through my M4 with this forend mounted and it is holding up great, I haven't had any issues with it. Just an option to consider.   

It's something I did look at. I didn't really like the install being full of tools to get the screws off, but I will say it's a much nicer install than the Midwest one.

How many screws are required to field strip it? Do you have to take them all out?

I also don't like how it, like most of the MLok handguards, leave the pistons exposed.

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2024 at 11:02 PM, m4prime said:

It's something I did look at. I didn't really like the install being full of tools to get the screws off, but I will say it's a much nicer install than the Midwest one.

How many screws are required to field strip it? Do you have to take them all out?

I also don't like how it, like most of the MLok handguards, leave the pistons exposed.

It has 5 screws and you only need to remove three near the receiver. I agree, I didn't like the slots open around the pistons, but I have found that Rail Scales solves that problem. If you do get it and use rail scales to close the MLOKs around the piston just know that the four slots around the bottom will not fit the 4 slot rail scales you need to get the 3 slot rail scales. It will still cover them up. Other than that the Briley is awesome. I know some people don't like to have a tool to break down for field cleaning but that is not something that happens, at least never has happened for me, and if it does just carry the small wrench in your bag or pocket. If oyu have any other questions about the Briley on the M4 let me know.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John Doe said:

It has 5 screws and you only need to remove three near the receiver. I agree, I didn't like the slots open around the pistons, but I have found that Rail Scales solves that problem. If you do get it and use rail scales to close the MLOKs around the piston just know that the four slots around the bottom will not fit the 4 slot rail scales you need to get the 3 slot rail scales. It will still cover them up. Other than that the Briley is awesome. I know some people don't like to have a tool to break down for field cleaning but that is not something that happens, at least never has happened for me, and if it does just carry the small wrench in your bag or pocket. If oyu have any other questions about the Briley on the M4 let me know.

I don't necessarily mind needing a screwdriver to break down the gun, as I find the gun rarely needs a full cleaning anyways.

I just hate the way the Midwest rail goes on, with the big lugs that have to be inserted and lined up with the magazine tube. I find it extremely cumbersome and it frequently jams on itself.

If it was actually just a handful of screws and the thing just came right off, I'd be fine with that. I'll take a look on YouTube of how it installs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John Doe said:

I took a look at the handguard and I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right one. The install videos I watched for this one didn't use any screws at all, it just slides over the barrel like the stock handguard.

Is this the right one? If so, I really like the look of the install.

https://www.briley.com/p-63643-briley-3gun-m-lok-handguard-benelli-m4.aspx

Edited by m4prime
  • Upvote 1

Yes, that is the right one. What is interesting in this video is that he used those washers. I think that is because of the model he has. I did not need to use those washers for it to fit tight and in place. Also, I'm not sure how he did that with his by just sliding it off like that. Give me an hour or two and I'll take mine apart and try to post photos for you. If you can just slide it off like that then I have been doing more work than I need to lol.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, John Doe said:

Yes, that is the right one. What is interesting in this video is that he used those washers. I think that is because of the model he has. I did not need to use those washers for it to fit tight and in place. Also, I'm not sure how he did that with his by just sliding it off like that. Give me an hour or two and I'll take mine apart and try to post photos for you. If you can just slide it off like that then I have been doing more work than I need to lol.

Thanks, interested to see. How does the handguard feel to hold? It looks really bulky compared to the stock plastic ones. The more I shoot the gun with the stock handguards, the more I love them...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, m4prime said:

Thanks, interested to see. How does the handguard feel to hold? It looks really bulky compared to the stock plastic ones. The more I shoot the gun with the stock handguards, the more I love them...

Ok, so that guy was right. I would always just unscrew them before I took it apart, but you don't have to. Just unscrew the cap and don't worry about taking the screws off around the forend. Once you take the cap off it will just slide off, so yes, it is a tool-less take down.

It is much longer than the stock handguard, but I have the 13" Briley handguard, they do make a smaller one, and I think it is 8". It feels great, personally, I love it. I like the fact that I can wrap my thumb around the top without having to worry about touching the barrel. It is not that wide as I have average hands and I can still get a solid grip on it. My wife has tiny hands and she says she likes it set up this way over the stock handguard. I still have some more parts that I am working on getting to add to this, so it is not a complete build yet. Once I finish it I will post an updated picture.

20240121_143411.jpg

20240121_143520.jpg

20240121_143530.jpg

20240121_143536.jpg

20240121_143539.jpg

20240121_143832.jpg

20240121_143912.jpg

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, John Doe said:

Ok, so that guy was right. I would always just unscrew them before I took it apart, but you don't have to. Just unscrew the cap and don't worry about taking the screws off around the forend. Once you take the cap off it will just slide off, so yes, it is a tool-less take down.

It is much longer than the stock handguard, but I have the 13" Briley handguard, they do make a smaller one, and I think it is 8". It feels great, personally, I love it. I like the fact that I can wrap my thumb around the top without having to worry about touching the barrel. It is not that wide as I have average hands and I can still get a solid grip on it. My wife has tiny hands and she says she likes it set up this way over the stock handguard. I still have some more parts that I am working on getting to add to this, so it is not a complete build yet. Once I finish it I will post an updated picture.

20240121_143411.jpg

20240121_143520.jpg

20240121_143530.jpg

20240121_143536.jpg

20240121_143539.jpg

20240121_143832.jpg

20240121_143912.jpg

Thanks a bunch for sharing. I think I'm going to order the 8" and see how I like it. With the Trex Arms / Arisaka extended scout light mount I can get the light out pretty damn far, so I'll try to save on some front weight with the shorter handguard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, m4prime said:

Thanks a bunch for sharing. I think I'm going to order the 8" and see how I like it. With the Trex Arms / Arisaka extended scout light mount I can get the light out pretty damn far, so I'll try to save on some front weight with the shorter handguard.

Awesome! Glad I could help you. 

That is one thing that my wife did complain about was the weight on the front end. She said it is much heavier for her, but I like that extra weight in the front, others may not. You should not have that issue with the shorter one. Post some pics once you get it in I would like to see what the 8" looks like on the M4.

• Upvote 1