New M1 Super 90-excited with questions

Zaxxon

Just got a deal on a M1 Super 90 with a 26" rib. Pretty excited about it, since it's my first Benelli. Feels great in the shoulder and its much lighter than I thought it would be. I have a few questions, though. After assembling the barrel to the body, I noticed there is still about 1/4" of the chromed bolt face visible from the opening of the ejector port. Also, there's about a 1/4" gap between the side of the bolt and the upper edge (inner) of the barrel. Is this normal, and if so, why was it designed with such large gaps? Last thing, and it might be due to a new gun, is that the bolt face does not rotate unless it slams home into the chamber.

However, the gun seems to cycle, rack, and operate well enough. I guess I'm just looking for some insight on what seems to be a great shotgun. Thank you in advance also for any tips for break in.

All sounds normal.

The bolt will not close completely if it is eased shut.

This has led to more than one misfire, so just rack it back and let it go.

It will get smoother with wear and usage.

Break her in with three or four boxes of heavy field loads, clean her up, and you should be good to go.

Welcome to the fold!

That was my first impression. Assembly seemed straightforward, and everything else seems to function as it should.

Any guess on the "gaps"? (maybe there's a better description for it). I know it's not a 1911 with custom machined fits, just looking for input.

I might have to leave work early tomorrow and see what I got myself into!

Yep. That's it. Now look just above the part that holds the bolt handle. The part with the words "Benelli Armi System" stamped on it. There's a gap between that sliding part and the barrel/receiver. In your pic, it looks as mine does. Wouldn't that have been better to have closer tolerances for dirt, etc.? Or would it potentially jam?

Here's another shot

http://www.pimaarms.com/longguns/6678-all.jpg

All said, I can't argue with a proven design that's been in production this long, but I come from a family of machinists who live in .001 increments of an inch.