m4 mag troubles

m4ever

I'm just looking for some sugestions or to see if this is a common problem.

I have added the sure cycle mag extender and the mag spring which came with it and cannot fit 7 2.75" shells down the tube, just 6. I think this is due to the longer spring of the new spring because when I put the factory shorter spring in all 7 fit. However, with the factory spring and the mag extention not one shell will feed from first to the seventh. I think this is due to the spring hanging up between the mag tube and extention. has anyone had this problem and what can I do to fit 7 and have them all feed?

However, with the factory spring and the mag extention not one shell will feed from first to the seventh. I think this is due to the spring hanging up between the mag tube and extention.

Do you mean that it will not feed all 7 in a row without a hiccup? I too could not fit all 7 with the SRM spring, but the factory spring is designed with a full length mag tube in mind. Which mag follower are you using? Just because I can see it better I used SRM's red one instead the factory black plastic one and have no problems feeding at all. I'm not sure where the spring would hang up, as it should ride right over that intersection point internally, unless you have a kink in the spring or something. Since SRM's spring is beefier, and longer, if you really wanted to use it you need to trim it, but only a little at a time (maybe 0.25 inch?). Other people have not had an issue with the SRM spring so I thought I was the only one. Perhaps it's because my barrel actually has 18.3 stamped on it, and maybe that is just short enough not to allow that last 7th shell to fit in all the way. That's what it seemed like to me...just a hair more and that last shell would pass the lip and stay in the tube, but it didn't so I use the factory spring and am saving the SRM for later. Sorry for rambling....

yeah, it wont feed one single shell. When I dig the first out then it wont feed the next either. I know its a mag spring issue with the factory spring so I just figured it was hanging up in there. I guess Ill try triming the surecycle spring until I can get all seven in. I hope to get the the full mag tube soon then I see if the factory spring works.

I take it that it all works fine without the extension? With the extension in place, if you unscrew the end cap and remove the retaining clip, does the spring pop out or stay stuck in the tube? I just can't figure how it could hang up. Mag follower in the right way? Just grasping for ideas. Let us know what you find..I in particular am very curious.

Ok did a little bit more tinkering and this is what my conclusions are: the mag follower is in the right direction. Also when I look down the mag tube w/ ext (barrel off of course) I do see a small lip where the two join. When I drop the follower down with just gravity acting on it it does stop at that lip also when I drop a shell down sometimes that will hang up too. So when I put in the factory spring w/ mag ext it will hang up and thus not feed until the follower passes the lip which requires me to tap the mag for it to do. then it will feed until the last shell which just kinda of half way feeds and gets jammed. that has to be from the spring not being srong enough.

Oh that's weird. I didn't expect you to find a lip. What I do notice on my SRM extesion is that one end is thinner than the other, the threads are the same pitch etc. Have you tried reversing the ext tube? BTW, calling SRM is really nice because those guys do care about their product. They were quite responsive when I called them last year. Thanks for keeping us (me) up to date.